Redline 5W30 6140 miles 2010 Jeep Commander Hemi

See attachment below for 3 consecutive UOAs on 2010 Jeep Hemi. Jeep now has a little over 90000 miles and has had several Redline 5w30 fills to try to quiet "Hemi tick" (it has). Have posted previous threads on first 2 UOAs, as well. Added about 0.5qt during the 6140 mi interval. Mobil 1 filter used. Looks like it has thickened a bit again and TBN is lowish, but other measures seem stable or improved. Welcome any comments

Attachments

• JeepUOA #3.pdf
    359.6 KB · Views: 386
I think it's fine, but it shouldn't have thickened so quickly.

Which Red Line 5w-30 are you using?
High Performance starts at ~11.9 cst @ 100C
Professional series starts at ~ 11.0 cst @ 100 C

It's usually just the exhaust manifolds leaking. On the odd occasion, yes, they can have a failing lifter, but that may not tick at all.
So, this motor has "ticked" since new in 2010. Unfortunately, I'm familiar with "ticking" motors, owning 2 LS motors now and 2 others in the past. They all have made ticking/sewing machine noises and all have been trouble free for years and thousands of miles, even a couple track days.
I also thought the Jeep may have an exhaust leak and brought it to dealer early in its life. They examined it and said no exhaust leak. A little less than 2 years ago, it started a distinct and different noise which was obviously an exhaust leak on the passenger side. Sure enough, 2 broken manifold bolts at rear of manifold. I replaced them and milled the manifold to true it(it had warped, which may be one of the reasons these break bolts and leak) . The new sound completely gone. Same old "tick" still there.

So, this motor has "ticked" since new in 2010. Unfortunately, I'm familiar with "ticking" motors, owning 2 LS motors now and 2 others in the past. They all have made ticking/sewing machine noises and all have been trouble free for years and thousands of miles, even a couple track days.
I also thought the Jeep may have an exhaust leak and brought it to dealer early in its life. They examined it and said no exhaust leak. A little less than 2 years ago, it started a distinct and different noise which was obviously an exhaust leak on the passenger side. Sure enough, 2 broken manifold bolts at rear of manifold. I replaced them and milled the manifold to true it(it had warped, which may be one of the reasons these break bolts and leak) . The new sound completely gone. Same old "tick" still there.

OK, thanks for the clarification. A sewing machine sound is normal, though I wouldn't describe that as a tick. The HEMI has huge shaft-mount rockers that aren't quiet.

When I think of a tick, I think of the sound a buggered lifter makes or the sound of an exhaust leak, which you've also experienced. Some valvetrain noise is perfectly normal.

Well, here is a 2014 RAM 1500 with over 300,000 miles on it that ran Mobil 1 EP 5W-20 and Mopar filters with 15K OCIs: https://www.ramforum.com/threads/2014-ram-rc-swb-1500-4x4-rebuild.170447/

And here is another 2017 RAM 1500 with 41K miles that ran Red Line Oil 5W-30 and ticks: https://www.ramforum.com/threads/lifter-failure.180331/

Some of the comments are quite amusing, like brushing off the fact that Red Line 5W-30 didn't do anything for this particular engine, and just advising the owner to buy a new cam and lifters. I have to point out that it's not broken, it just ticks. It seems to me that the loud noises that the Hemi valvetrain makes drives some owners into madness, like spending obscene amounts of money on boutique lubricants. Or maybe it just turned into an obesession for some. Looking at it from a distance, it seems like pure insanity.

Red Line Oil makes great products, no doubt about it. For its intended purpose, their motor oil is great (mostly track use, short OCI), as many car enthusiasts can attest to that. Mobil makes very good consumer grade products, commercial products, and enthusiast level / racing lubricants. Their FS line of oils are priced at a bargain, followed by their EP line. I doubt you can find better motor oil for the price that Mobil 1 EP and FS sells for. Just use good oil and good filters, practice a decent OCI, and enjoy your vehicle. The engine will eventually wear out. Good preventive maintenance and care will lengthen its life, however, there is no magic or miraculous oil that will make it last forever or help avoid lifter failure if the lifters aren't of good quality to begin with.

I run Red Line 10k miles every time in my m/c. I think the notion it’s only for short drains is silly.

Dodge engines have ‘ticked’ from exhaust manifold leaks for ages. The 413 truck engine in our mid-70s D700 went through more than a couple of exhaust manifold gaskets, and even a manifold. Even the mid-60s D500 with a 318 truck engine developed a tick eventually. Probably coincidence, but it’s interesting how even half a century later they still tick from leaky manifolds.
(-:

It's usually just the exhaust manifolds leaking. On the odd occasion, yes, they can have a failing lifter, but that may not tick at all.

I found my HEMI tick and promptly fixed it by installing a new manifold (Mopar), nine new bolts (Mopar), and a new Fel Pro exhaust gasket. No more ticking. I also gave Red Line, but my Hemi doesn't sound any different than with Mobil 1 FS 0W-40, but my MPG has slightly gone down. I also found the oil consumption issue with M1 FS 0W-40: a badly leaking passenger side valve cover gasket. It leaked oil behind the engine and down on the transmission. I fixed that as well. I did a bit more research, and you were right about Mobil 1. They do make some of the best products, especially motor oils. Your choice of engine oils is fantastic and well researched. I understand why you like motor oils that use PAO in their base oil-primarily while are also adequately tested and carry the proper approvals. That makes a huge difference in what you get out of your investment, both engine oil and vehicle. The Mobil 1 EP 0W-20 looks especially good, and I am so inclined to try it, especially since I'm running a 180F t-stat with the grilled shutters deleted. Mobil's website shows M1 EP 0W-20 to have a 40C cSt of 55, so I wonder if it's not just a typo. If it's not, then that 0W-20 has some serious film strength and probably almost no VI to speak of. Nice!

I am sorry for bickering and arguing with you a few months ago. I miss our conversations as I learned a lot from you. Maybe we'll get a chance to talk one day again, at least I hope we do. I guess I have to learn my lessons the hard way. Thank you.

20211122_164601.jpg 20211123_155229.jpg
20211123_181756.jpg
20211120_163534.jpg
20211120_182242.jpg

Back