Options for first ever oil analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wondering what is the easiest quality, comprehensive oil analysis for a first-timer. Coming up on oil change time on my Jeep Hemi Commander that is running Redline 5w30 for last 2 intervals. Has quieted the engine to some degree(Hemi tick) and coming up on 78000 miles. I run 6000 mile intervals.
Thanks!

Originally Posted by drfeelgood
Wondering what is the easiest quality, comprehensive oil analysis for a first-timer. Coming up on oil change time on my Jeep Hemi Commander that is running Redline 5w30 for last 2 intervals. Has quieted the engine to some degree(Hemi tick) and coming up on 78000 miles. I run 6000 mile intervals.
Thanks!

I strongly recommend Blackstone Labs.

As a disclaimer, Blackstone is the only UOA service that I've ever tried, so I can't speak to how it compares to others, but it covers the attributes you're looking for. Just request a sample kit from their website, follow the instructions that come with the kit, and send it off. Their analyses are decently comprehensive, and they send you an analyst-written description of your oil wear numbers and trends, where some other UOA services will just send a list of your wear metals and additives. Blackstone tends to be slightly more expensive than others at $28 (+$10 for the optional TBN test add-on), but that's when it comes down to your preferences and if the written analysis is worth the extra cost.

Last edited:
I use Blackstone for ease of access. I also used Polaris Labs (Oil Analyzers) through Amsoil and their report is detailed. Insurance sent in some samples to ALS Tribilogy and their reports were total crap.. Check out the services or tests from Blackstone, you will be impressed with what they can do at a fair price. Basic engine sample is 28 + 10 for TBN. Sample bottles are sent out free of charge.

NAPA gives TBN which Blackstone charges extra for. And NAPA is $16 and available at any NAPA store, although they may need to get it from a warehouse.

And you avoid the useless comments that Blackstone provides.

OAI and Polaris are good also but more expensive.

I suggest you DO NOT waste your time or money on BSLabs.

--They give a fuel content number that they don't actually measure or test. They 'estimate' it (rather badly) based on a poor flash point test.
--They charge far too much for a test that doesn't include TBN (or TAN, for gear and tranny oils). Getting TBN costs an _additional_ amount that's just not reasonable.
--Their TBN test method is different than the industry norm, so their numbers are not comparable to those given by most labs.
--Their commentary is just silly or even flat wrong too much of the time. It seems to be aimed at making you feel good about your report, possibly without regard to what is happening.

Originally Posted by Dufus2
Insurance sent in some samples to ALS Tribilogy and their reports were total crap.

What exactly does that mean? I've used ALS for years and the reports have been fine. You can get their sample bottles from Rock Auto or Amazon, or from NAPA (their NAPA-branded kits are rebranded ALS).

Honestly, I would go with Polaris based on price.

No problem at all with Blackstone. They certainly have a tidier interface.

I wouldn't expect too much from a UOA. With a normal change interval you are likely to get normal results.

So you keep on trucking. If there's something wrong, it's likely to be pretty dramatic no matter what service you use.

Post the results here and you will quickly get all the crowd sourced analysis you need.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back