Redline 10w40 or VR1 20w50?

I am looking for a oil recommendation on a daily driven cammed LS3. I have been using Redline 5w30 with good results but recently had some work to done to the motor where we replaced the rocker trunnions and valve springs for maintenance. The shop owner recommended that I should change to VR1 20w50 With the miles on the engine being 114K. My typical drive to work is just over 2 miles and I let the car warm up for a couple minutes after startup before leaving. If I should go up in viscosity and I’ve been having good luck with Redline is the 10w40 a better choice over VR1 taking into account my driving habits?

I am looking for a oil recommendation on a daily driven cammed LS3. I have been using Redline 5w30 with good results but recently had some work to done to the motor where we replaced the rocker trunnions and valve springs for maintenance. The shop owner recommended that I should change to VR1 20w50 With the miles on the engine being 114K. My typical drive to work is just over 2 miles and I let the car warm up for a couple minutes after startup before leaving. If I should go up in viscosity and I’ve been having good luck with Redline is the 10w40 a better choice over VR1 taking into account my driving habits?

The shop owner sounds like one of those kind that puts 20W-50 in everything. I would ignore his recommendation as there's no basis for it. VR1 20W-50 would be a downgrade from Red Line HP 5W-30 in your application. It would just rob power with no benefit. I would continue using Red Line HP 5W-30 like you have been, or use a comparable 5W-30 like Driven LS30 5W-30 or HPL Bad A** 5W-30.

No need for that specific 20W-50, especially in light of the short commute. Did you see excessive wear on the rockers with the RL 5W-30? Or any other wear related issues?
We did see wear on the brass trunnions that were installed. My mechanic I went to was new to me so I gave him a list of the mods that have been done. He saw something he didn’t like in the list with Smith Brothers Brass Trunnion Kit for the LS3 rockers. He found that in his experience most that have been installed don’t hold up for very long (see picture). He went over the rest of the motor and everything checked out good. I haven’t searched for failures of these kits yet but I was told it was a faulty design and not an oil issue.
7F737828-A5DC-429C-A5EB-31664F4E5546.jpeg

If you're OK with Redline 5w30, then simply step up to Redline 10w40 for your warmer Fl climate...

Unless you have excessively high oil temps and need visc to provide PSI and/or MOFT, I wouldn't bother with the 20w50. What data do you have that needs it? But if you must, Mobil1 15w50 is another option that can be sourced at various stores.

Bushings wear out. Its not a faulty design. Its just too much load for the selected bushing. And, they wear out quicker when there is no motor oil film thickness. So, avoid the 5w30.

Lake Speed Jr. seems to like it.

Back