Red Line - worth $17.48 a quart?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So Red Line 5W-30, 0W-40 and 20W-50 made an appearance on the local shelves. I have absolutely no doubt they are excellent products, but the price tag is the highest I've ever seen on a synthetic locally and they haven't sold much. The most expensive synthetic you can go out and buy here is Mobil 1 0W-40, and even that is $13.11 a liter (1.06 quarts).
21.gif

I don't mind paying for quality, but what makes it any better, if at all, in comparison to products like Mobil 1, Pennzoil Ultra/Shell Helix Ultra or even European brands like European SynPower (PAO based), FUCHS, Liqui Moly, Addinol, etc. if we're looking at an xW-40?

In the US, you can get most of the synthetics for $5-8/L at the store. Red Line is typically $10-12/L, depending on the viscosity. That means you could pay almost double to get Red Line here in the US.

Sounds like Red Line is actually a decent price over there compared to everything else.

That's interesting to know. The price isn't too far off to be honest, and I wouldn't mind paying for it - especially for the Envoy which goes by the OLM stretching 12,000 mile drain intervals. I'm tempted to try out their 5W-30, which has a NOACK of 6%!

Don't expect to get 12,000 mile drain intervals on Redline oil. 8000 reasonably, maybe 10,000 miles as a maximum. I get very low oil consumption on Redline, though.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
That's interesting to know. The price isn't too far off to be honest, and I wouldn't mind paying for it - especially for the Envoy which goes by the OLM stretching 12,000 mile drain intervals. I'm tempted to try out their 5W-30, which has a NOACK of 6%!

As A_H mentioned RL is not a long drain oil.
M1 0W-40 is a long drain and it's cheaper. I wouldn't pay that price for RL.

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
So Red Line 5W-30, 0W-40 and 20W-50 made an appearance on the local shelves. I have absolutely no doubt they are excellent products, but the price tag is the highest I've ever seen on a synthetic locally and they haven't sold much. The most expensive synthetic you can go out and buy here is Mobil 1 0W-40, and even that is $13.11 a liter (1.06 quarts).
21.gif

I don't mind paying for quality, but what makes it any better, if at all, in comparison to products like Mobil 1, Pennzoil Ultra/Shell Helix Ultra or even European brands like European SynPower (PAO based), FUCHS, Liqui Moly, Addinol, etc. if we're looking at an xW-40?

Redline is synthetic but their claim is not really extended oil changes.

I have Redline in my stash but I reccomend you dont pay that much. You can get better bang for your Envoy buck

Last edited:
Hi Falcon. Just out of curiosity, how much does gas sell for a liter out there in your part of the world??? You would think it would be cheaper than anywhere else. The cheapest gas I've ever seen was in Mexico for what it's worth...

There is only 1 distributor for redline here and its 24 bucks a quart.
Its my favourite oil however it just costs too much. I shy'd away from Amsoil due to cost or I'd still be using SSO in everything.

Originally Posted By: Clevy

Yeesh. That was the one oil where CT might have been competitive, so they drop the line? There's some Motul available locally, and last time I checked, it wasn't much cheaper than $24 a quart, either.

Originally Posted By: Garak

Yeesh. That was the one oil where CT might have been competitive, so they drop the line? There's some Motul available locally, and last time I checked, it wasn't much cheaper than $24 a quart, either.

Ct is where I first found red line and started using it. Once thy dropped it I either couldn't find it or it was too outrageously priced to be worth using.

Its my favourite oil however it just costs too much. I shy'd away from Amsoil due to cost or I'd still be using SSO in everything.

You should go to the vendor selling RL for that price in Canada, and laugh at him. He might not know why, but that's okay. In Sane! [censored] Tire sells it for less than half of that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back