RED LINE SI-1® COMPLETE FUEL SYSTEM CLEANER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shel_B

Site Donor 2023
I've used the Red Line cleaner twice over the past few months, and it seems that my mileage suffered with each tank in which the cleaner was used. Since driving conditions were not identical, it's possible that the problem was, at least in part, situational rather than solely as a result of the additive. Still, the mileage difference was enough to give me pause for thought.

Just wondering if anyone else has seen, or suspected, a mileage drop when using the Red Line additive.

No first hand experience with this product, would like to state that up front.

There's really only a few possibilities to this if it is the case

Possibility that an oxygen sensor wasn't much liking the burn or perhaps it through the combustion ratio was off resulting in a slightly less clean burn/running slightly more rich.

Another possibility would be the product wasn't at fault, and simply situational as you suggested variables in driving conditions, and slightly more/less fuel added on refills.

My guess would be the uncontrollably variables, small changes can add up over a tank, a sample size of two isn't large, though I do believe you in your statement, could be anything honestly.

How much of the bottle are you using the second time? The second bottle should be low dosing, a few ounces per tank.
Months later, used a second bottle in its entirety.

I ran a dozen bottles using a maintenance dose way back with my STI. I noted no change and never dosed it again. I now only run a bottle of PEA-based cleaner (usually Gum-out) when I think to, maybe once every other or third oil change. Never a change. I now believe top tier fuel is all that’s needed.

I ran a dozen bottles using a maintenance dose way back with my STI. I noted no change and never dosed it again. I now only run a bottle of PEA-based cleaner (usually Gum-out) when I think to, maybe once every other or third oil change. Never a change. I now believe top tier fuel is all that’s needed.
What do you think SI-1 is old donkey whiz or what?
If something is clean and being kept clean you will not notice any difference, if you did that means it got dirty and now being cleaned up.
I cleaned some injectors, they ran SI-1 for 30K in small doses. When I tested them again they had the same flow and good spray pattern they had when I first did them. I am sold.
It can effect the O2 sometimes and even throw a CEL but that will go away once the carbon is blown off. It seems to be combustion chamber carbon loosening from what I have seen but that is just a guess.

I've used the Red Line cleaner twice over the past few months, and it seems that my mileage suffered with each tank in which the cleaner was used. Since driving conditions were not identical, it's possible that the problem was, at least in part, situational rather than solely as a result of the additive. Still, the mileage difference was enough to give me pause for thought.

Just wondering if anyone else has seen, or suspected, a mileage drop when using the Red Line additive.
I had the same experience on my old port injected Toyota especially when I put full bottle to the small gas tank of 42 l, but once I refill the next tank it will be back normal or better. However, on my DI car I had no such issue.

Noticed the same thing as the OP with a '12 Camry and Gumout Regane HM fuel treatment. Definitely enough of an mpg drop to get my attention.

I had the same experience on my old port injected Toyota especially when I put full bottle to the small gas tank of 42 l, but once I refill the next tank it will be back normal or better. However, on my DI car I had no such issue.
Thanks for jumping in. Yeah, my mileage went back to normal with the next tank or two of gas.

What do you think SI-1 is old donkey whiz or what?
If something is clean and being kept clean you will not notice any difference, if you did that means it got dirty and now being cleaned up.
I cleaned some injectors, they ran SI-1 for 30K in small doses. When I tested them again they had the same flow and good spray pattern they had when I first did them. I am sold.
It can effect the O2 sometimes and even throw a CEL but that will go away once the carbon is blown off. It seems to be combustion chamber carbon loosening from what I have seen but that is just a guess.

Simmer down, buddy. Why on Earth do you think I used Redline SI-1 to begin with!? It’s probably the highest quality PEA-based cleaner. It’s also one of the most expensive. Gumout can be had at any Wallymart for a few bucks…

I also said “usually”, denoting the fact that others are also viable options……BOGO Techron for instance - also extremely affordable!

Finally, my point, which may have seemed convoluted, was that I no longer believe in maintenance doses of cleaners. I’m satisfied with the results of using mostly top-tier fuel AND an occasional bottle of PEA-based cleaner. I’m also keen on harsher cleaners less often, such as B12. Not that anyone asked, but I believe that “cleaners“ such as MMO and Seafoam are worthless or nearly so.

Simmer down, buddy. Why on Earth do you think I used Redline SI-1 to begin with!? It’s probably the highest quality PEA-based cleaner. It’s also one of the most expensive. Gumout can be had at any Wallymart for a few bucks…

I also said “usually”, denoting the fact that others are also viable options……BOGO Techron for instance - also extremely affordable!

Finally, my point, which may have seemed convoluted, was that I no longer believe in maintenance doses of cleaners. I’m satisfied with the results of using mostly top-tier fuel AND an occasional bottle of PEA-based cleaner. I’m also keen on harsher cleaners less often, such as B12. Not that anyone asked, but I believe that “cleaners“ such as MMO and Seafoam are worthless or nearly so.

I don't know if there's really any way to know. All formulas and test results are considered proprietary. PEA is by nature really thin, and SI-1 is just PEA added to a thick, lubricant base along with a solvent.

What I do know about PEA is that its primary use is to cure exoxy. So it's probably just trial and error to figure out what works. None of it is actually made for use as a gasoline additive.

Since a new Safeway near home opened up with a gas station I’ve been getting gas there, usually dosed with an ounce of SI-1, not worried about getting a tank of bad gas there but it’s not additized to the same level as Top Tier or most brand-name fuel.

Since a new Safeway near home opened up with a gas station I’ve been getting gas there, usually dosed with an ounce of SI-1, not worried about getting a tank of bad gas there but it’s not additized to the same level as Top Tier or most brand-name fuel.

You have no way of knowing it, but it's generally safe to assume that it's generic in minimum EPA concentration unless it's marketed as having a proprietary additive.

I do wonder about all this when it's mixed and matched. The general properties of the fuel isn't changed when mixed, but I wonder about the effect of half of additive 1 and half of additive 2. Or the aftermarket additive on top of that. It's probably not that big a deal since I've never heard a warning about mixing different fuel additives.

I went for a few long trips recently in 3 different cars. 14 CR-V, 18 Legacy and 19 Impreza. THe impreza got the most miles out of the trip. About 536. I put a can of Berrymans B12 in (first time using it) and I got the best mileage I have ever gotten in the Impreza even with tons of traffic. With that being said, I just did the same trip today and my mileage was good but NOT as good as the first trip. Had traffic too but not as much. Chalk it up to luck? Maybe. I haven't noticed anything like that with Redline, Amsoil, Chevron, Gumout, etc... but I haven't noticed any worse mileage either. I will be changing oil on Saturday and I always put in a bottle of Amsoil PI after I change and fill up. I have some good trips next week. I have 4 gigs next week and they are all over. So while it won't be that 500 mile trip it will be mostly highway with some city traffic. I'll try and pay attention to see if it gets worse, stays the same or is better.

I don't know if there's really any way to know. All formulas and test results are considered proprietary. PEA is by nature really thin, and SI-1 is just PEA added to a thick, lubricant base along with a solvent.

What I do know about PEA is that its primary use is to cure exoxy. So it's probably just trial and error to figure out what works. None of it is actually made for use as a gasoline additive.
I am under the impression PEA burns clean and does not leave residue behind. Isn't this the reason what people are going after for?

On Techron's website it states other competitors' additives such as PBA is a good cleaner for intake valves, however, it leaves residue behind.

[...] I have 4 gigs next week and they are all over. So while it won't be that 500 mile trip it will be mostly highway with some city traffic. I'll try and pay attention to see if it gets worse, stays the same or is better.
Looking forward to hearing about your experience.

I am under the impression PEA burns clean and does not leave residue behind. Isn't this the reason what people are going after for?

On Techron's website it states other competitors' additives such as PBA is a good cleaner for intake valves, however, it leaves residue behind.

If you read patent applications, quite a few of the big players have worked with PEA. But it’s still a tiny amount of the PEA market, which is mostly about making epoxies, plastics, and and sealants.

The companies that use PEA as a detergent additive probably don’t make it, except maybe BASF. They all just buy it from companies like Huntsman.

SI1 used to be my go-to cleaner for YEARS. I now use Gumout cleaners with PEA simply because they are more readily available and cheaper. I wonder if the Redline is better for the additional costs it incurs? Not sure - but with my diet of TT gas and PEA Gumout, I've no issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back