Record for highest parachute jump and longest-ever free-fall

I am not scared of heights, not one bit. I like most are fearful of an uncontrolled fall.

I'm the complete opposite. When I'm on a ladder hanging Christmas lights, even 10-15 feet up, I'm shaking like a leaf. Hands sweating profusely. On the roof, my heart is pounding.

That being said, I had no issues whatsoever dangling my feet out of a C-172 at 13,000 feet. There was no sensation of height from that high up, just wind and noise. I was always nervous, but in a completely different way than being on a ladder or up on a roof. Once I was in freefall, the exhilaration of that overtook any nervousness I ever had.

I really want to restart that career, I ended it way too soon. The wife isnt a fan of some of my high altitude hobbies...

Yikes. My wife has never said any such thing to me. In the end, I've realized that I simply do what I want to do, none of which is all that safe or secure. The only person that keeps me in check is me.

I was very happily married for 31 years, to a great woman, who trusted me to make decisions for myself also.
She never once said no to me skydiving, instead she joined me occasionally.

Yikes. My wife has never said any such thing to me. In the end, I've realized that I simply do what I want to do, none of which is all that safe or secure. The only person that keeps me in check is me.
Well, she was right because we had two lovely young children, a mortgage, and I had a major position at an aerospace firm. She said insurance money would be helpful, but she didn't want to raise the kids on her own.

I'm the complete opposite. When I'm on a ladder hanging Christmas lights, even 10-15 feet up, I'm shaking like a leaf. Hands sweating profusely. On the roof, my heart is pounding.

That being said, I had no issues whatsoever dangling my feet out of a C-172 at 13,000 feet. There was no sensation of height from that high up, just wind and noise. I was always nervous, but in a completely different way than being on a ladder or up on a roof. Once I was in freefall, the exhilaration of that overtook any nervousness I ever had.

I really want to restart that career, I ended it way too soon. The wife isnt a fan of some of my high altitude hobbies...
Right so later on in this thread I noted the 34 ft rule. Your perception of height is no different at 34 than it is at 34000.

I am sure it is the fall, and or instability of the ladder that is really making you shake, or moreover the fall itself. When you intend to make a jump, it is a different story.

Truth be told, I dont like ferris wheels or rides that go up and down anymore. Weird

I read a book about Joe and his jump years ago entitled The Pre-Astronauts: Manned Ballooning on the Threshold of Space.
His jump was not a stunt but rather was intended to demonstrate the feasibility of high altitude evacuation of a crippled spacecraft and the 102K' jump was but the highest that he undertook. There is speculation in the book from some third party that the crew of Challenger was alive when they hit the water, and it was tragic that the potential of very high altitude parachute recovery for rescue was left by the wayside all those years ago.
Joe was a much decorated Air Force officer who flew and was shot down in Vietnam during the war. He even did an Atlantic crossing solo in a gas balloon in 1984. Overall an adventurous and pretty fearless guy.

I read a book about Joe and his jump years ago entitled The Pre-Astronauts: Manned Ballooning on the Threshold of Space.
His jump was not a stunt but rather was intended to demonstrate the feasibility of high altitude evacuation of a crippled spacecraft and the 102K' jump was but the highest that he undertook. There is speculation in the book from some third party that the crew of Challenger was alive when they hit the water, and it was tragic that the potential of very high altitude parachute recovery for rescue was left by the wayside all those years ago.
Joe was a much decorated Air Force officer who flew and was shot down in Vietnam during the war. He even did an Atlantic crossing solo in a gas balloon in 1984. Overall an adventurous and pretty fearless guy.
I read the Wiki article about Joe Kittinger - what a fascinating life!

Reactions: GON
Back