Record for highest parachute jump and longest-ever free-fall

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
On August 16, 1960, 32-year-old U.S. Air Force Capt. Joe Kittinger ascended in a helium-balloon-tethered gondola to 102,800 feet (roughly 19 miles) above the Earth … and jumped. His free-fall lasted 4 minutes and 36 seconds. He experienced temperatures approaching minus-100 degrees Fahrenheit. As he fell, Kittinger neared the speed of sound, his pressure-suit-encased body traveling at more than 600 mph before he opened his parachute at around 14,000 feet. To this day, incredibly, he still holds records for highest parachute jump and longest-ever free-fall.

356903153_247143604738656_2255135510671247641_n.jpg

Longest free fall, perhaps, but I thought that someone recently jumped from higher.

• Wow
Reactions: GON
Longest free fall, perhaps, but I thought that someone recently jumped from higher.
A quick google search states this (yet what is the "too date- date")?

No successful space dives (above 100 km) have been completed to date.

Similar to skydiving, space diving is the act of jumping from an aircraft or spacecraft in near space and falling towards Earth. The Kármán line is a common definition as to where space begins, 100 km (62 mi) above sea level. This definition is accepted by the Fédération Aéronautique Internationale (FAI), which is an international standard setting and record-keeping body for aeronautics and astronautics. The United States Air Force uses 50 mi (80 km) to award astronaut wings.

Maybe this:

How many here have skydived?

Let me be more precise:

Jumped from an airplane? below 1500 ft, below 600ft?
Jumped from a airplane? above 5000ft
Jumped from and airplane? above 30000ft
Jumped from a Helo? about 1650ft?

and so on.

Last edited:
That’s the one I remember from the news. Close to 130,000 feet. So, why isn’t that considered in the same category as Col. Kittinger?

AltitudeSet byDate
Highest space dive records
23.287 kilometres (76,400 ft)United States Joseph Kittinger16 November 1959
31.333 kilometres (102,800 ft)United States Joseph Kittinger16 August 1960
38.969 kilometres (127,850 ft)Austria Felix Baumgartner14 October 2012
41.419 kilometres (135,890 ft)United States Alan Eustace24 October 2014[15]

14 October 2012. Baumgartner landed in eastern New Mexico after jumping from a then world-record 38,969.3 metres (127,852 feet),[falling a record distance of 36,402.6 metres (119,431 feet) and parachuting the final 2,566.7 metres (8,421 feet).

During this descent Baumgartner set the record for fastest speed of free fall at 1,357.64 km/h (843.6 mph),[2][12][5] making him the first human to break the sound barrier outside a vehicle. Baumgartner was in free fall for 4 minutes and 19 seconds, a fall time 17 seconds shorter than the previous record set during mentor Joseph Kittinger's jump on 16 August 1960.[38] Kittinger was also his radio contact during the jump.

Two years and 10 days later Baumgartner's altitude record was broken by Alan Eustace...

SuperSonicFreeFall(1).JPG

14 October 2012. Baumgartner landed in eastern New Mexico after jumping from a then world-record 38,969.3 metres (127,852 feet),[falling a record distance of 36,402.6 metres (119,431 feet) and parachuting the final 2,566.7 metres (8,421 feet).

During this descent Baumgartner set the record for fastest speed of free fall at 1,357.64 km/h (843.6 mph),[2][12][5] making him the first human to break the sound barrier outside a vehicle. Baumgartner was in free fall for 4 minutes and 19 seconds, a fall time 17 seconds shorter than the previous record set during mentor Joseph Kittinger's jump on 16 August 1960.[38] Kittinger was also his radio contact during the jump.

Two years and 10 days later Baumgartner's altitude record was broken by Alan Eustace...

View attachment 165195

Okay, who took the picture !!

That’s the one I remember from the news. Close to 130,000 feet. So, why isn’t that considered in the same category as Col. Kittinger?

Highest space dive records
AltitudeSet byDate
23.287 kilometres (76,400 ft)United States Joseph Kittinger16 November 1959
31.333 kilometres (102,800 ft)United States Joseph Kittinger16 August 1960
38.969 kilometres (127,850 ft)Austria Felix Baumgartner14 October 2012
41.419 kilometres (135,890 ft)United States Alan Eustace24 October 2014[15]
Three jumps. First was from 5,000 feet, the second two were from 10,000 feet.
was the third solo? was it on the same day?

was the third solo? was it on the same day?
Three different jumps three different days, all solo. On the first jump I was connected to a static line inside the plane which pulled out the little primary chute which pulled out the main canopy chute.

The next two were free-falls from 10,000 feet.

After landing on the first jump, I looked up (because I hit the ground moving backwards) and this kid is jumping in the middle of the parachute as I was disconnecting my harness. I asked him what he was doing and he said his mom told him to. I said, "Who is your mom?" He said, "She's the one who packed your chute." I said, "Can I go kiss your mom?":love: It turns out his mom was a former Army parachutist as well.

Last edited:
How many here have skydived?

Let me be more precise:

Jumped from an airplane? below 1500 ft, below 600ft?
Jumped from a airplane? above 5000ft
Jumped from and airplane? above 30000ft
Jumped from a Helo? about 1650ft?

and so on.

I have 143 jumps, generally from 3,000' above the ground, up to 9,500'.
Those are not above sea level altitudes.

I did one jump, May 4th, 1986, from 3000' altitude above the airfield (so c. 3900' above sea level).

The aircraft was a Cessna (172, I think) with all seats but the pilot's removed - a single-engined high-winged monoplane with fixed gear and diagonal struts from the wings down to low on the fuselage.

The door was on the starboard side of the aircraft, top-hinged, and swung up to clip onto the bottom of the wing to provide clear egress.

There were six of us aboard - the pilot, the jumpmaster, and four rookie skydivers.

I asked to go first, stating quite honestly that I was likely the most scared.

I stepped onto the starboard landing-gear housing, grabbed the strut, and went out hand-over-hand until I was well clear of the fuselage. I was hanging at perhaps 45°, buffeted by the wind. I remember thinking "This is a pretty cool movie", because it certainly didn't seem quite real.

I let go when the jumpmaster said to. I had wondered about the possibility of colliding with the tailplane, but almost immediately saw the aircraft way above me. It looked like it had hardly moved forward.

Immediately after that I saw a blue streamer thing originating behind me and going way over my head. I realized it was the parachute, deployed automatically by the static line.

The 'chute blossomed, and I descended for about 3 minutes. The 'chute was old-school, completely round, but I had some control by pulling the risers.

As warned, I noticed trees and buildings increasing in size exponentially, and instead watched the horizon as instructed. (The idea is that if you know when you're going to hit the ground, you tense up and are more likely to get injured.) I kept both feet together as instructed.

Thus, the landing caught me by surprise, as intended, and I didn't sprain an ankle.

It was a great experience, but once was enough.

I had had a terrible fear of heights from early childhood, which had caused me a lot of shame over the years, and this was an attempt to deal with it. $180 of "therapy" in 1986 dollars. About 10 hours gross wage at the time?

It was fairly successful, as I'm OK on ladders and going on my roof now. Not thrilled, but can do it.

P. S. At the time I worked in a large telecom manufacturing plant. The environment was pretty coarse, with many of the techs being heavy drinkers and using a lot of profanity.

I went in for the dayshift Monday, and said to one of my coworkers, a good guy, "Hey, if I went skydiving, would you go too?"

"Yeah, sure, as soon as you do. Ha!"

I unbuttoned my collared shirt to show off my "I made my first parachute jump in Carman Manitoba" t-shirt underneath. My friend responded with an obscenity and something like "I would, but the wife would kill me".

A quick google search states this (yet what is the "too date- date")?

No successful space dives (above 100 km) have been completed to date.

Similar to skydiving, space diving is the act of jumping from an aircraft or spacecraft in near space and falling towards Earth. The Kármán line is a common definition as to where space begins, 100 km (62 mi) above sea level. This definition is accepted by the Fédération Aéronautique Internationale (FAI), which is an international standard setting and record-keeping body for aeronautics and astronautics. The United States Air Force uses 50 mi (80 km) to award astronaut wings.

Maybe this:

I have a LIFE magazine from c. August 1962. X-15 pilot Bob White is on the front cover, having broken 50 miles altitude and earned his astronaut wings.

I did one jump, May 4th, 1986, from 3000' altitude above the airfield (so c. 3900' above sea level).

The aircraft was a Cessna (172, I think) with all seats but the pilot's removed - a single-engined high-winged monoplane with fixed gear and diagonal struts from the wings down to low on the fuselage.

The door was on the starboard side of the aircraft, top-hinged, and swung up to clip onto the bottom of the wing to provide clear egress.

There were six of us aboard - the pilot, the jumpmaster, and four rookie skydivers.

I asked to go first, stating quite honestly that I was likely the most scared.

I stepped onto the starboard landing-gear housing, grabbed the strut, and went out hand-over-hand until I was well clear of the fuselage. I was hanging at perhaps 45°, buffeted by the wind. I remember thinking "This is a pretty cool movie", because it certainly didn't seem quite real.

I let go when the jumpmaster said to. I had wondered about the possibility of colliding with the tailplane, but almost immediately saw the aircraft way above me. It looked like it had hardly moved forward.

Immediately after that I saw a blue streamer thing originating behind me and going way over my head. I realized it was the parachute, deployed automatically by the static line.

The 'chute blossomed, and I descended for about 3 minutes. The 'chute was old-school, completely round, but I had some control by pulling the risers.

As warned, I noticed trees and buildings increasing in size exponentially, and instead watched the horizon as instructed. (The idea is that if you know when you're going to hit the ground, you tense up and are more likely to get injured.) I kept both feet together as instructed.

Thus, the landing caught me by surprise, as intended, and I didn't sprain an ankle.

It was a great experience, but once was enough.

I had had a terrible fear of heights from early childhood, which had caused me a lot of shame over the years, and this was an attempt to deal with it. $180 of "therapy" in 1986 dollars. About 10 hours gross wage at the time?

It was fairly successful, as I'm OK on ladders and going on my roof now. Not thrilled, but can do it.

P. S. At the time I worked in a large telecom manufacturing plant. The environment was pretty coarse, with many of the techs being heavy drinkers and using a lot of profanity.

I went in for the dayshift Monday, and said to one of my coworkers, a good guy, "Hey, if I went skydiving, would you go too?"

"Yeah, sure, as soon as you do. Ha!"

I unbuttoned my collared shirt to show off my "I made my first parachute jump in Carman Manitoba" t-shirt underneath. My friend responded with an obscenity and something like "I would, but the wife would kill me".
pretty low

"It looked like it had hardly moved forward"

N35, what you experienced is forward throw. When one exits a aircraft in flight, one is moving at the same speed of the aircraft. This is called forward throw. If the aircraft is moving at 120 knots, so you are you as you exit the aircraft. Your body continues to move forward as you exit and are out of the aircraft, until gravity and other factors such as wind get a vote in your forward movement. That is the reason "it looked like the aircraft had hardly moved".

And for note, "scared of heights" is a normal thing given to us from god, just as being thirsty is normal. What you felt related to heights we all feel. Congrats on feeling the fear and doing it anyways.

Back