Reconditioning a 2-Stroke Snow Blower

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picked up an older MTD 2-stroke single stage snow blower

Among other things, I've replaced the fuel line and added a shut-off valve

I have a 75 micron fuel filter I intended to install but I'm wondering if that could be too restrictive? It's the clear coalescing type filter

It seems that most OPE fuel filters (the red ones shaped like a spinner top) are 150 micron

I don't want to find out in the middle of a storm that I went with a bad choice

There's currently no filter on the unit

Any thoughts?

Thank you

I don't get the 2 stroke single stage. And an MTD to boot. How much snow do you get and how big an area do you clear?

I have always had fairly large driveways to clear in the northeast. A large two stage would be my choice.

My Ariens 36" does a pretty good job of clearing snow on my long dirt drive. Two passes each way and its done.

I think it depends on whether your fuel is clean or your tank is rusty. The 75 micron filter will clog sooner while the 150 micron won't clog so fast because it's letting more dirt into your motor. With relatively clean fuel the 75 micron filter will be fine.

Originally Posted by Donald
I don't get the 2 stroke single stage. And an MTD to boot. How much snow do you get and how big an area do you clear?

I have always had fairly large driveways to clear in the northeast. A large two stage would be my choice.

My Ariens 36" does a pretty good job of clearing snow on my long dirt drive. Two passes each way and its done.

If yours does such a good job, why does it take two passes to get it good?

Originally Posted by Lubener
Originally Posted by Donald

If yours does such a good job, why does it take two passes to get it good?

The drive is wider than 6 feet.

Originally Posted by Langanobob
I think it depends on whether your fuel is clean or your tank is rusty. The 75 micron filter will clog sooner while the 150 micron won't clog so fast because it's letting more dirt into your motor. With relatively clean fuel the 75 micron filter will be fine.

Thank you Langanb & Toneydoc.. just wasn't sure if the gas/oil mix would be a consideration

By the way, plastic tank (cleaned) and, for it's limited use, I'll be using a Tru Fuel mix

Thanks again

Aside from the engine and carb, how is the rubber paddle on this unit? The plastic scraper bar? Does the auger spin without any grittiness and noise? Those, along with the drive belt and tensioner are the normal wear parts on them.

I made a poor decision picking up an Ariens 2-stroke, single stage unit a few years back. A new paddle assembly, scraper bar and wheels cost more than what I paid for it and it still doesn't throw nearly as well as a Toro 2-stroke machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back