Recommended Oil For 2002 Z28/LS1 Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently purchased a 2002 Z28 with the LS1 engine. Engine has 22,000 miles on it. I changed the oil and used Mobile 1 synthetic. No history of previous oil changes, don't know if the previous owner ran regular oil or synthetic. Should I stick with the Mobile 1 or use a good quality 10W 30 oil? Realize I shouldn't bounce back and forth with the type of oil used. Looking for some guidance?

Thanks,

Billy Boy

Welcome to BITOG!

I bought my '02 Z28 new and ran M1 5w30 in it for nearly 150k miles, always changing the oil according to the OLM. When I realized that SM oils had reduced levels of ZDDP (zinc-based antiwear additive), I began seeking out oils that have at least SL levels (1000ppm of Phosphorous). Since then, I have run M1 High Mileage 5w30, M1 0w40 European Formula, and Redline 5w30. I have steadily run the car in road course track days its entire life, and at 193k miles, the engine is still noise-free, makes good power, and burns about 1 quart of oil in 6000 miles.

I can recommend all of the above oils for the LS1, and there are some others that are on my list to try:
Castrol Syntec 0w30.
Pennzoil Ultra 5w30 (but not for track use due to low HTHS).
Valvoline MaxLife synthetic 5w30.
AMSoil Signature Series 5w30.
Or go back to M1 5w30 in the SN specification.

If you are not running your car on race tracks, the LS1 is easy on the oil. But if your are going on track, the LS1 can oxidize the oil if it is not equipped with an oil cooler. (Mine isn't, and it did oxidize the M1 0w40, which is a high-performance oil.)

Last edited:
I've run M1 5w30, M1 0w40, Castrol Syntec 0w30, and Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 in my LS2.

The engine ran noticeably more quiet on M1 0w40 and Castrol Syntec 5w30 so I've been sticking with them.

In all honesty there are many LS1's out there that have had Jiffy Lube special's their entire life's. You will be fine using the current spec 5W30 of your choice.

Yes welcome to BITOG.

For non track street use I'd recommend Mobil 1 0W-20, it meets the Corvette 4718M spec'. As long as you can maintain 50 psi at elevated rev's you don't need to run anything heavier.

If the lower ZDDP levels of most OTC SM/SN oils is a concern then you could consider Quaker State Defy 5W-20.

With that engine, having a catch can/filter in the PCV line to prevent oil being sucked into the intake is much more important than what brand of oil you use.

Welcome to BITOG!

You can use any 5w30 or 0w30 or 10w30 with confidence, for the interval suggested by your car's monitor.

What kind of driving do you do? Track use? Short trips?

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
depending on your criteria zddp may have a benefit in almost any engine with moving parts.

The question is, is 700 ppm of Phos' of a typical SN 5W-30 like M1 sufficient? Likely so, particularly if the OCI is not pushed out too far. By the same token, bumping the P level to the 850-900 ppm of the SL oils might provide more peace of mind.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Yes welcome to BITOG.

For non track street use I'd recommend Mobil 1 0W-20, it meets the Corvette 4718M spec'. As long as you can maintain 50 psi at elevated rev's you don't need to run anything heavier.

If the lower ZDDP levels of most OTC SM/SN oils is a concern then you could consider Quaker State Defy 5W-20.

M1 0w20 may meet 4718M but the manual requires a 5w30 4718M oil, not just any 4718M oil... I understand your liability release "as long as you can maintain 50psi" but it still seems like a risky recommendation with no usage details given thus far.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman

Castrol Syntec 0w30.
Pennzoil Ultra 5w30 (but not for track use due to low HTHS).
Valvoline MaxLife synthetic 5w30.
AMSoil Signature Series 5w30.
Or go back to M1 5w30 in the SN specification.

Those are all fine suggestions, but poor Maritimer is up in Canada, and some of these things will be hard to find. The GC is an easy one. The PU and MaxLife synthetic will actually be significantly harder to find than the Amsoil SS. Remember, we get some oddball choices up here - some in our favour and some not so much.

Originally Posted By: cchase
Yes welcome to BITOG.

M1 0w20 may meet 4718M but the manual requires a 5w30 4718M oil, not just any 4718M oil... I understand your liability release "as long as you can maintain 50psi" but it still seems like a risky recommendation with no usage details given thus far.

It seems "risky" to you because you've never done it.
A racing acquaintance of mine has run M1 0W-20 in his ZO-6 on the street during the winter months with higher oil pressure than running M1 5W-30 on the track in the summer.

A racing acquaintance of mine has run M1 0W-20 in his ZO-6 on the street during the winter months with higher oil pressure than running M1 5W-30 on the track in the summer.

Any recommendation for something other than what is recommended in the manual without knowing the OP's intended use is risky. How you see fit to interpret that statement is up to you.

Originally Posted By: cchase

Any recommendation for something other than what is recommended in the manual without knowing the OP's intended use is risky. How you see fit to interpret that statement is up to you.

We don't need to know the OP's intended use as long as he maintains oil pressure of 50 psi. The oil pressure is a Chev' recommendation.

Originally Posted By: Maritimer
Recently purchased a 2002 Z28 with the LS1 engine. Engine has 22,000 miles on it. I changed the oil and used Mobile 1 synthetic. No history of previous oil changes, don't know if the previous owner ran regular oil or synthetic. Should I stick with the Mobile 1 or use a good quality 10W 30 oil? Realize I shouldn't bounce back and forth with the type of oil used. Looking for some guidance?

Thanks,

Billy Boy

I would drop back to an oil with SL levels of ZDDP( or better ). I wouldn't run current API SN oils in it but that is JMHO. I think a perfect oil for you would be Royal Purple HPS.

http://royalpurpleconsumer.com/product-categories/automotive/#!hps-motor-oil

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back