Recommended Floor Jack Size ?

What is the recommended floor jack size for sedans (i.e. Hyundai Sonata) and up to mid size SUV's (i.e. Hyundai Sorrento) ?
I believe they come in 1.5 ton , 2 ton and 3 ton version's . Also if there is a particular brand / model you believe is a best value also please advise .
*Main use of the floor jack will be to lift up the side of the vehicle to access transmission pan to perform ATF drain & fill function ... Thanks in advance for replies !

The big thing will be trying to figure out where to put is you can get jack stands under there too.

I have one of the 1.5 ton aluminum “racing” jacks from HF. Small, reasonably light. Oh and of course... cheap. I’ve thought about buying a second one, make tire rotations easier. Or to just keep in the car rather than ever trying to use the cheap scissors jack.

By conventional wisdom I needed more jack to lift the corner of my 6,000lb truck. It managed just fine. The biggest problem with the jack was reaching high enough for CUV/truck—I would use cribbing on top of the jack pad. Probably should have gotten a bigger jack, but the truck is gone now, so...

If you have a garage and space to keep a bigger and heavier jack, then I’d get a big one. Seems like Daytona gets good reviews here?

IMO jacks are like male ''units'', the bigger the better. Get at least a 2 ton for when you wind up getting to help someone with a heavy vehicle.
Like previously said ramps and good jack will cover most basic needs.

You want something that is low and has a long reach. Low to fit under cars and long to lift todays SUV's and trucks.
  • Lift height of 3-1/4 in. to 24-1/4 in., ideal for low-profile vehicles to trucks and SUVs
I have this and really like it. It's available in different colors.

Is the jack going to be used in your garage permanently? Or will you take it to other locations? Anything over 1 1/2 tons is going to be too heavy for many people to lift and carry. My HF 1 1/2 aluminum jack that I keep in a closet is 35 pounds. That's close to the limit I want for carrying out to the driveway.

You need to get a jack to match the weight of the vehicle(s) you are lifting, since you are going to being using it on both a sedan and larger sized CUV, you need to get a jack for the heaviest vehicle you plan on lifting, the "rule of thumb" is you need to get a floor jack with a lift rating for at least three-quarters of your vehicle’s weight , and that being the CUV, which can go up to 4k lbs( not knowing which gen/years you have). So ideally you need to get a 2 Ton floor jack.

Any of those will be fine :)

The 1.5 ton aluminum jack from HF is great and light. Since you're only lifting at most one axle/2 wheels at a time, which is half the weight, it can really support up to twice the rating. That is, a 1.5 ton jack is good for a 3 ton car.

However, the 1.5 ton jack might not lift the car up high enough, and the 2 ton and 3 ton jacks will lift higher than the smaller jack.

I keep a 1.5 ton aluminum jack in my car in case I need to use it for en emergency, and for most repair work non-emergency, too. I use a bigger jack if I need to lift higher than the 1.5 can handle.

When I got the 1.5 ton jack, I already had a 2.5 ton (steel) jack, but that bigger jack is much heavier (75 lb) and can be hard to work with.

Back