Recommended Brake Pads & Rotors

If going online the Raybestos Element 3 EHT pads and coated rotors are excellent and surprisingly priced very low at rockauto. Installed hundreds of sets with all 100% customer satisfaction. If you want to go local the AZ Duralast Gold series and up are hard to beat as well. They have black oxide coated rotors that I have just started using and I am impressed with them. I don't hesitate in recommending either of these options - the autozone option is slightly better simply for dealing with a local store is easier then online

If going online the Raybestos Element 3 EHT pads and coated rotors are excellent and surprisingly priced very low at rockauto. Installed hundreds of sets with all 100% customer satisfaction. If you want to go local the AZ Duralast Gold series and up are hard to beat as well. They have black oxide coated rotors that I have just started using and I am impressed with them. I don't hesitate in recommending either of these options - the autozone option is slightly better simply for dealing with a local store is easier then online
I was looking at the Duralast gold series with the black oxide coated rotors. Question, about the oxide coated rotors. I’m assuming they don’t need to be cleaned with brake cleaner since there shouldn’t be any type of grease / oil on them?

I was looking at the Duralast gold series with the black oxide coated rotors. Question, about the oxide coated rotors. I’m assuming they don’t need to be cleaned with brake cleaner since there shouldn’t be any type of grease / oil on them?
Nope no cleaning required they are dry out of the box...just drive them and the pads wear it off in a few miles. They even include a paper that says that driving is all you need to do to remove it.

One of the coatings is allegedly actually damaged by brake cleaner....Geomet was it?

This seems a bit like making dishes that are damaged by dish soap, but whatever....

Wagner or Akebono pads. Wagner e-coated rotors if in the rust belt.

If you hear a grinding noise that means at least one pad is worn out. Are all 4 worn or just one because caliper is not floating or a pad's ears are binding.

I have a 2019 ford Transit connect that’s ready for a new set of pads and rotors. Looking for recommendations on aftermarket parts. Looking for solid quality / longevity.
Wagner OE or Akebono. For The brake pads I'd go yellowstuff or bluestuff maybe or again Akebono. If budget is no concern DBA's or Disk Brakes Australia are great.

Powerstop's pads aren't that great.
I'm on my first set of their pads and slotted/drilled rotors on my F150, so we'll see for me. But with the braking improvement, I would take shorter pad life.
I followed the brake-in procedure but it still took about 300 miles before they really started to shine.

Also another question. The pads and rotors only have 34k miles on them. They are making a grinding sound when coming to a complete stop. I can’t imagine both the front and rear being equally worn. What tends to wear out first on these transit connects? Front or rear brakes? My plan was to replace the likely end and than drive to see if the grinding sound goes away. I’ll save the other end (front or rear) for later replacement. Thanks

I'm not an authority but I buy cheap rotors but not cheap pads. I don't live in the rust belt so I don't see much if any benefit from the coated rotors. I think OEM pads are probably best if you are keeping a vehicle but I admit to buying cheap ceramic pads for cars where I don't want to throw money at them.

If I don't use OEM, the next "brand" I'd trust would probably be the Raybestos Element 3s.

I've never had an issue with even cheap brake pads, as long as it was a name brand that I have heard of. Raybestos, Monroe (probably some reboxed cheap ones??) and auto parts store brand from Pep Boys.

I have Raybestos Element 3 pads front and rear on '19 Pilot. Raybestos Element 3 Pads/rotors/calipers on daughter's '08 CRV for almost 3 years and work well.

Son's Forte had Raybestos Element 3 Pads/Rotors/Calipers on front but I just swapped out a seized caliper/rotor with Duralast on RF. I think the hose went as it was an intermittent issue until it wasn't. Had to go with what was available. The new hoses were the hard part for availability. While off and redoing I installed Duralast Elite pads on front.

Looking back at yesterday RF brake was getting hot for a while. The rubber bleeder cap was dried out and falling apart. Drivers side was fine.

I put PowerStop Geomet rotors and Z17 pads on rear of Father-in-laws Renegade in April. They were working well. Now sitting at dealer for over a month waiting on probably new motor (under warranty) but that's another story.

Back