Recommendations on rear brake pads?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's about time for my 2013 Nissan Altima 3.5SV to get new rear pads I think. Last trip to the dealer had the pad life at "yellow" (fronts were green. Just the nature of the beast with new cars I'm told) and I've noticed that the closer I get to 40K miles the more noise my rear brakes make.

Any recommendations on some good and reliable brake pads? I'm in Houston Tx so there are no mountains and not many hills, but there is quite a bit of stopping on the highway during rush hour, so I'd like something long life with low dusting...that narrows it down to ceramic.

Any brand favorites around here?

I've used Wagner ThermoQuiet pads on my last few brake jobs and haven't had any complaints, although I do put a dab of grease on the back of the pad despite the instructions to install them dry. Each year, they usually have a rebate on them right around this time (late Feb / early March) if you can hold out a week or two.

I've read a few good things about the Carquest Wearever Platinum Pros, but have no experience with them. I have used their rotors, though - no problems with them.

Last edited:
Why not just stick with OE pads? I got fooled by Akebono pads, low dust but less stopping power then the OE pads they replaced. Could care less about brake dust.

Last edited:
I did a rear brake job with Akebono's recently. Got them for a good price with AAP discount codes. OE Ni$$an pads are nothing special, IMO.

Originally Posted By: Squirrelee
I've used Wagner ThermoQuiet pads on my last few brake jobs and haven't had any complaints, although I do put a dab of grease on the back of the pad despite the instructions to install them dry. Each year, they usually have a rebate on them right around this time (late Feb / early March) if you can hold out a week or two.

I've read a few good things about the Carquest Wearever Platinum Pros, but have no experience with them. I have used their rotors, though - no problems with them.

+1

IN my experience, the factory rear pads on the newer Nissan products are very very noisy. Part of the reason is because they changed the hardware design (they removed the tab off the backing plate) so the shim has more movement than before. I would recommend going after for the rear pads (but not the fronts).

The centric 105-series is a very good pad on this application. You can get a set for under $30 from rockauto.

Originally Posted By: MrOctober44
Get some Akebono! for Front and Rear No more Brake Noise!!!!!!

+1 They are some nice pads. I have also had good luck with Duralast c-max pads on my Equinox. Good stopping power and pretty quiet. They also have a lifetime warranty that also includes wear.

Akebono ProACT pads are OEM for a few manufacturers (not sure about Nissan), and are excellent pads. Great pad, decent price.

Wagner Thermoquiets were terrible in both applications I tried them in. I will never buy Wagner Thermoquiet pads again.

Last pads I used were Advance Auto Platinum Professional pads and they seem very nice, especially after the 35% off coupon I used which made them very affordable. They are SILENT, low dust, and stop good.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Thermoquiets are good pads and they are GG rated in my application while most top ceramic pads are only FF friction rating

I can assure you that any mildly discerning individual will be dissatisfied with the brake noise from TQs at some point during their lifecycle. Also, the last set of 905 TQs I looked at had 6-7mm of material vs 8-9 mm...and this is due to the very thick backing plate on the TQs

Looks like a lot of good advice so far! Thanks for everyone's input

Originally Posted By: The Critic
IN my experience, the factory rear pads on the newer Nissan products are very very noisy. Part of the reason is because they changed the hardware design (they removed the tab off the backing plate) so the shim has more movement than before. I would recommend going after for the rear pads (but not the fronts).

The centric 105-series is a very good pad on this application. You can get a set for under $30 from rockauto.

That's what I'm thinking as well, I was just planning to replace the rears since they are making noise and wearing the most.

I was looking at these before your post and it does sound like they'd be the best option: http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=1278039&cc=1504422&jsn=411

Last edited:
I have always liked Akebono ProACT pads on my cars. Very smooth and relatively good bite.

I took a chance on the Raybestos EHT pads. They are supposed to have the bite of a semi metallic pad and the quiet side of ceramic pads. I have them on my Pilot and Legacy and the brakes feel great. Im going to stick with the Raybestos from now on. Another benefit is that the Raybestos come with the hardware kit included with the pads.

Akebono ProACT pads are the best pads money can buy. But it's a waste for rear applications. Raybestos service grade ceramics, or thermoquiets would be fine. Properly cleaning and lubing hardware (silicone paste) helps too.

You also need to measure runout of the rotor with lugs torqued to spec. If runout exceeds spec you will get pulsation and noise. It's imperative you clean all rust off hub flange and rotor hat.

here's a good primer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kIhrGviecc

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BlitzPuppet
Looks like a lot of good advice so far! Thanks for everyone's input

Originally Posted By: The Critic

That's what I'm thinking as well, I was just planning to replace the rears since they are making noise and wearing the most.

I was looking at these before your post and it does sound like they'd be the best option: http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=1278039&cc=1504422&jsn=411

I have had good service from lower priced ceramics like that. I don't know that Centric pad, but I have used the Raybestos SG ceramic (a few dollars more than that one from them; listed a few items down from that one in their catalog), and it was excellent with no dust, great bite and no noticeable fade in testing them on several hard stops. I have them on two vehicles now and after 1 to 2 years on each, I am quite happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back