Recommendations? New 2010 Ford FX4 w/5.4L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was the trannie you changed the oil on a six speed or fords old four speed? It'd be great if you could tell us what all is involved in servicing the new six speed if that was what you did. Thanks

Originally Posted By: K20FA5
With you wanting to protect your warranty, I would just run the Motorcraft syn blend and Motorcraft filters. Get 'em at Wally and enjoy the money savings.

As long as you keep receipts and run FoMoCo's oil, how can they say no :)

This is what I'd do. 5w-20 and their filters will work as well as anything else in your truck.

Bill

PS:
welcome2.gif

I would not use a 5w30 oil in that engine. Ford tested them, and 5W20 is what they recommend that is what I'd use. You mentioned warranty so use what they recommend.

Of your oil choices I would use PU 5W20 as my first choice followed by the MC Full Synthetic oil. Following Ford's severe service interval IMO is a good idea. It is not going to hurt the engine, and if you plan on keeping it for a very long time, (like I do), it will probably benefit you in the long run. I would use a Pure One, Mobil 1, or MC filter.

$40,000 is a big investment, and over the life of the vehicle the Severe Service OCI might cost you a few $$$ more, cheap insurance IMO.

Originally Posted By: modularv8
Definitely change the transmission every 30k. I changed mine at 45k and was impressed with how much stuff (metallic sludge) was stuck to the magnet.

Did you use a synthetic fluid in the transmission when you changed it? What about the transfer case and the differential--anything done there?

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
This is what I'd do [run the Motorcraft syn blend and Motorcraft filters]. 5w-20 and their filters will work as well as anything else in your truck.
Bill
PS:
welcome2.gif

Bill--many thanks for the welcome!

Any worries about sludge/varnish buildup when using a blend? I am assuming it is not a 50/50 blend of conventional and synthetic--correct? Back in the day, conventional oils allowed varnish and sludge to build up--is this still the case?

Welcome! Personally, I'd do what I'm doing with my new focus. Pennzoil Platinum 5W-20, and a Motorcraft filter. If it specs 5W-20... USE IT. You won't see any benefit from 5W-30.

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
This is what I'd do [run the Motorcraft syn blend and Motorcraft filters]. 5w-20 and their filters will work as well as anything else in your truck.
Bill
PS:
welcome2.gif

Bill--many thanks for the welcome!

Any worries about sludge/varnish buildup when using a blend? I am assuming it is not a 50/50 blend of conventional and synthetic--correct? Back in the day, conventional oils allowed varnish and sludge to build up--is this still the case?

Following the 5k or 6 month service with the oil (and today pretty much everything is a "blend" in the 5w-20) will be fine.

Some oils are more of a mix. Don't get caught up on the syn vs blend vs conventional drama and get caught up on DOING the service when its due.

When we had Fords in the fleet (been some time now) other than the loud power steering pumps they ran for a LONG time (close to 200k miles) with any oil changed (if they were lucky) every 6-7k. While the rest of the truck may have "issues" the power train is not a problem today.

I feel safe that ANY of today's oils outperform ANY syn of yesterday. And millions of vehicles yet went hundreds of thousands of miles with any oil of yesterday. With out the dreaded sludge or heavy varnish. I'd personally done 394k, 300K, 250k and so on with normal oils.

I like the 1k OCI then do another around 4k then get on the 5k schedule. Around 15k change out both diffs (and you'll be good for MANY miles unless you dunk them) and transfer case around 30-45k. Since you have an auto I'd just do a drain and fill every 30k and change out the filter around 60k. Power steering just suck the fluid out of the reservoir and replace every 15-20k.

Brakes get flushed every 2-3 years and coolant after the factory fill recommended interval every 3-4 years.

We don't have to worry about speedometer cables anymore!
48.gif

With the modern FI and unleaded fuel, the engines are much better on oils. And oils are much better.

Enjoy the new truck and watch out for the idiot driver. Sadly more vehicles are taken to the early boneyard due to incidents or rust than ANY engine issues.

Take care, Bill

Guys,

Just want to say "Thanks" for all of the insight and experience. I am sitting at 991 miles and have chosen Pennzoil Ultra as "the" oil for my FX4. Quite a few reasons for this choice (not the least of which is availability and price at $4.80 a quart), but I have also visited Oil City, PA and seen the oldest producing oil well (McClintock No. 1) formerly owned by Quaker State, (operated by Pennzoil), and now donated to Drake Well Museum.

Some nostalgia, yes, but Platinum served me well in my 2008 Acadia and so I think I am making a good decision by choosing Ultra. This is especially true with the statement of "Nothing keeps your engine closer to factory clean". OK...perhaps more marketing hype, but the statement of "far exceeds Ford WSS-M2C930-A" is likely not.

Anyway, I will be posting a UOA of the factory fill soon and subsequent ones of Ultra as I change them. And..we're off!!

Thanks Again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back