Recommendations for Trans fluid for manual trans.?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys. With the weather changing I am considering to change out the ATF that is in my car's transmission. I have an '02 Camaro that has the T-56 6-speed manual transmission. When I first bought this car I had the trans fluid changed out. The Manual calls for ATF and does not say anything about specific Manual Trans fluids.

I went ahead and changed the fluid with Mobil 1 ATF. Everything is fine but on some cold days shifting feels a bit "notchy". Anyone have any suggestions on what I should use? I read that for this trans some of the MTF's can do more harm than good. It's not a deal breaker -- just looking for suggestions. Thanks.

What is GM's current recommendation for it? Dexron VI? GM syncromesh?

I occasionally haunt a few mustang forums and some of those guys seem to like Royal Purple Synchromax and Redline's D4 ATF in the T56.

Good luck!

My F150 (95) manual tranny has notchy shifting (think it was designed that way haha) and calls for ATF, I ran M1 and D4 but am happiest yet with the Redline MTL, which seems to have improved shifting, though haven't tested in extreme cold yet.

Originally Posted By: jigen
Manual calls for Dexron III.

If it was me, I'd probably use the Redline D4 ATF. It's about $4-5/quart cheaper.

Sounds good! On the Redline site they specifically list the T-56 as a trans to use this fluid with too.

The notchiness comments mirror my own experience in my Dodge Cummins which uses ATF+4 (OEM).
I use RP Synchromax now, of which I went back to...
Redline D4 would be an option as well. I may try that next time.
I agree with the above posters who chose these two...

I'd use Red Line MTL or Amsoil MTF.
Yes, a bit thicker when cold, but so what?
It's a manual transmission, and dedicated fluid is an upgrade..

Mobil 1 (and many other synthetic fluids) have a reputation for being harder to shift when cold in these Tremec manual transmissions. Nobody has figured out exactly why, but there's been enough problems to where Ford (who previously used a synthetic in one application of these) changed it to a dino for easier cold shifts.

Redline D4 seems to have one of the best balanced shift feels in these transmissions overall. Don't run a pure Synchromesh style fluid in these trans, it's too thick. I've been experimenting with many fluids to improve the shift feel of my TR6060 (which is the newer upgraded version of your T56) and these things are picky. I've found a blend that works even better than D4, but doubt you'll like the price!

Originally Posted By: jigen
Sounds good! On the Redline site they specifically list the T-56 as a trans to use this fluid with too.

You have the upgraded (from my version) T56 with the carbon fiber blocker rings (instead of my cellulose composite blocker rings).
So YES, the RL D4 would be perfectly safe to use in your '02 T56.

As others have stated, I have tried the GM/Pennzoil Synchromesh, and found that it was OK in warm temps (or when up to operating temps), but downright destructive to the syncros/blocker rings (BAD grinding!!!) when cold, or in winter conditions.

The RP SynchroMax was horrid in my T56, NO MATTER the weather conditions!!!
I dumped that stuff the day after installation for fear of a $1500+ rebuild!! (it grinded worse in warm conditions than the GM/Pennzoil did in artic conditions!!)
shocked2.gif

Last edited:
I have AMSOIL ATF in my 93 ford ranger and 97 Sentra both with 5 speed manual trans.

Andy

Last edited:
I recently put B&M synthetic trick shift in my T56 and it works very well. Valvoline Maxlife ATF would be another good synthetic to try.

(instead of my cellulose composite blocker rings).

Hey DD, I have a 2000 Z-28 also and have read that synthetic is a no-no with the paper syncros. Currently running penzoil dex-3 (dino). It shifts nice when warm but now that its cold its abit notchy until I get a few miles on it.

It was the same way with the FF that when drained out looked like dex-3 to my eyes.

I'm thinking this spring I may try 50/50 with the penzoil synchromesh and dex-3, any thoughts? Hows the amsoil working for ya? Its synthetic I assume.

Originally Posted By: TallPaul
My F150 (95) manual tranny has notchy shifting (think it was designed that way haha) and calls for ATF, I ran M1 and D4 but am happiest yet with the Redline MTL, which seems to have improved shifting, though haven't tested in extreme cold yet.

Same deal with my Saturn. When I got it had dex111. AFter studying I went with D4 ATF and am no satisfied so I got some MTL on the way. I'll drain the D4 into a clean container in case the MTL doesn't work out. Redline's Dave I think it was said either is fine. MTL offers better protection and D4 shifts better in the cold he said. I'm down south so I chose the wrong one but I was bent on having the 'factory recommended fluid' in there.

A few dollars wasted by me since the fluid never calls to being changed.

btw, I believe the T56 is a Borg Warner unit.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
btw, I believe the T56 is a Borg Warner unit.

It was Borg Warner designed, and the earlier (earliest?) ones were manufactured by BW, but then Tremec picked up their production ~1999.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cven
(instead of my cellulose composite blocker rings).

Hey DD, I have a 2000 Z-28 also and have read that synthetic is a no-no with the paper syncros. Currently running penzoil dex-3 (dino). It shifts nice when warm but now that its cold its abit notchy until I get a few miles on it.

It was the same way with the FF that when drained out looked like dex-3 to my eyes.

I'm thinking this spring I may try 50/50 with the penzoil synchromesh and dex-3, any thoughts? Hows the amsoil working for ya? Its synthetic I assume.

Yes Amsoil only produces full synthetics as far as trans fluid goes.
It is functioning very well, especially when warm, but does grind slightly when very cold (starting out in I don't know that there is any fluid that will not grind slightly in very cold temps in this gearbox (especially when they have as many HARD, power-shifted miles on them as the one in my ride).
I would love to try Red Line D4, or MTL (as I really like their products), but I fear what the high POE basestock content would do to the blocker rings. (The Mobil 1 ATF I tried was also OK, about the same as the Amsoil.)
I might try the Amsoil MTF in the spring/summer, just to experiment a little.

If it gets as hot there as it does here in the summer, I would just go with ALL Pennzoil Synchromesh, but that mix does sound interesting.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back