Recommendations for my 1988 Ferrari Testarossa.

Could check out HPL and see what they have for it. Can also just stick with the LM that it had.

I know there are a few speciality oils, like Amsoil, Royal Purple etc. Do they offer any real advantage over Mobil 1 or are they just something to spend your money on?
The HPS line of RP oil has ZDDP levels which are too high for modern certifications, the M1 Euro 0-40 also has decently high levels. The M1 15-50 will have high ZDDP levels as well. The search function on here should turn up relative info on either used or virgin oil samples. I have ran all of those oils in my GT500.

My recommendation is to drive it. Living in the south, I'd drive that thing every chance I get. You said you're going to keep it forever, might as well enjoy it.

Keeping miles off your car is like keeping miles off your wi.......so the other guy can enj.....never mind.

As for oil, no need to get fancy with that car. Used to use Agip to service those.

Go to Walmart. Get some t6 40 grade, enjoy the savings.
Oh trust me. I do drive it quite often. It’s definitely not a garage queen. I’d even call it a semi daily driver. Never understood why anyone would buy an exotic car and only drive it 100 miles a year.

Oh trust me. I do drive it quite often. It’s definitely not a garage queen. I’d even call it a semi daily driver. Never understood why anyone would buy an exotic car and only drive it 100 miles a year.
I may be strange to say this but I am appreciative that people drive their exotics and muscle cars, classic cars so I can enjoy seeing them. I usually thank them . It takes huge dollars and labor/ love to keep them going.

Garage queen??? Honestly, if I had that, I'd pull it straight next to my bed right next to me. Tuck her in.

I love those cars and I can neither confirm or deny that I have every episode of Miami Vice on DVD.

These guys are correct, call up HPL and get her some good stuff. While you at it, see if they recommend something for that s2k.

The HPS line of RP oil has ZDDP levels which are too high for modern certifications, the M1 Euro 0-40 also has decently high levels. The M1 15-50 will have high ZDDP levels as well. The search function on here should turn up relative info on either used or virgin oil samples. I have ran all of those oils in my GT500.
Redline HPS has ZDDP level within limits of European approvals.

Have a read:

I'm just glad to hear that you're driving that car. Somebody somewhere had an Acura NSX with a bunch of miles on it and I love hearing stories like that. For some reason I always seems like the Corvette guys turn their vehicles into trailer queens or keep them locked up in a garage all the time. My folks like to go out and drive their little Porsche boxster every weekend but always only on the highway. When my uncle died they had a early 19 80s era Honda Accord that only had like 16,000 original miles on it. Just one of those times where the first time you change the oil and everything on it starts to leak. More harm comes from cars sitting. Again that's a really nice car and by the looks of it you've taken very good care of it. Do you have it sent off to Ferrari of Denver or Ferrari of Oklahoma City. Those two dealerships are always coming through Kansas City dropping off high-end Italian cars for customers

Somebody somewhere had an Acura NSX with a bunch of miles on it and I love hearing stories like that.
Might have been me. I've got a '92 with 129K miles on it. And a '85 308 with 65K miles on it. I try to put at least a few thousand miles a year on them. Really as much as I can get away with.

1663717810202.jpg

Love the Testarossa. Strong contender for next car to purchase.

I use M1 5W-50 in the 308. Probably 0W-40 would work, but the extra oil pressure made me happy when it was hot out.

Factory fill and at the dealership was Agip Sint 2000 10W-40, IIRC, it was a synthetic blend and not fully synthetic oil. I have been using Mobil 1 0W-40 since early 2000's and have not had any issues with it.

Might have been me. I've got a '92 with 129K miles on it. And a '85 308 with 65K miles on it. I try to put at least a few thousand miles a year on them. Really as much as I can get away with.

View attachment 117798

Love the Testarossa. Strong contender for next car to purchase.

I use M1 5W-50 in the 308. Probably 0W-40 would work, but the extra oil pressure made me happy when it was hot out.
Amazing Cars in this thread.

Had the pleasure of working on a 85 308 gtb back in 05/06. It was modified by some guy named oak/pine/something, his name had something to do with lumber.

Drove that car.....30 ft into the shop and out....but still drove it.

That 308, if I remember correctly....when I drove it that short distance....it was weird. Almost like you "felt" that car. Weird to explain.

Is it like that??? Please tell me that I'm not crazy.

Is it like that??? Please tell me that I'm not crazy.
Not crazy at all. Speaking of the Testarossa, it also feels like you’re driving a lot faster than you are. Driving 70mph feels like 100+. I assume the 308 would be similar.

Not crazy at all. Speaking of the Testarossa, it also feels like you’re driving a lot faster than you are. Driving 70mph feels like 100+. I assume the 308 would be similar.
Honestly... it's kind of both. It's not fast, but it feels exciting. The motor is fantastic and the gearing is perfect. But at speed, on the highway, it is quite comfortable cruising at 110-120mph. It's one of the few cars I've driven that really compels me in some spiritual way to go faster. My NSX is much better, technically, but just doesn't have the same feeling.

I'm surprised to hear that about the Testarossa. I would have assumed it was similar.

Ferrari 308 has been my dream car since the day I first saw one. Testarossa is a close 2nd. I worked with a guy a couple years ago who daily drives his 308. I still see him zipping around town in it every so often. He said he bought it to drive, not to sit in the garage and stare at it. He's put a ton of money into it, and the maintenance to keep it as a daily driver isnt cheap, but he does it. I salute you guys who have them and arent afraid to put the miles on them, it warms my heart. With jealousy, but thats ok!

Back