Recommendations for a good finish for cedar siding?

Due to an external leak, we've had new cedar siding installed on our house.

When we bought the house new 30 years ago, the rough-sawn cedar had been finished with a transparent stain. This looked great initially, but deteriorated badly over the years.

In 2009 I used a chemical stripper to remove the old finish, and applied a high-end solid stain, brand name Flood.

It stood up very well over the next dozen years, showing no deterioration at all.

The new cedar siding, just completed, looks so good that I'm reluctant to apply a solid stain yet.

I've done some online research, and Defy transparent stain seems to be well-regarded.

I'm looking for feedback from the BITOG crew as what you've used and how well it's worked for you.

It's too cold now to do any work this year, and I've heard that cedar should be left unfinished for a few months anyway, so I won't be applying any finish until at least May.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and feedback you can provide.

Due to an external leak, we've had new cedar siding installed on our house.

When we bought the house new 30 years ago, the rough-sawn cedar had been finished with a transparent stain. This looked great initially, but deteriorated badly over the years.

In 2009 I used a chemical stripper to remove the old finish, and applied a high-end solid stain, brand name Flood.

It stood up very well over the next dozen years, showing no deterioration at all.

The new cedar siding, just completed, looks so good that I'm reluctant to apply a solid stain yet.

I've done some online research, and Defy transparent stain seems to be well-regarded.

I'm looking for feedback from the BITOG crew as what you've used and how well it's worked for you.

It's too cold now to do any work this year, and I've heard that cedar should be left unfinished for a few months anyway, so I won't be applying any finish until at least May.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and feedback you can provide.
I used this deck stain on my fence, very durable

the water borne stuff is easy to apply, I used a cheap paint sprayer

I have used Cabot's in the past with good results. But just because I had good results 10 years ago does not mean the current formulation will provide good results also.

I am not a fan of a solid color stain. I would go for semi-transparent.

Big fan of oil based stain.

I might use your favorite stain on a piece of scrap cedar and put it outside for the winter.

I have a 2 story log cabin I have had good luck with semi-solid decking stain on the "siding" and its cheaper.

Likely NOT sold in CA due to high VOA? Was using Cabot but Olympic has held up much better
I am sure formulas have changed in the last 15 years though. And I haven't seen olympic around locally -
not that I have been looking for it.

I had a house with redwood siding and I used a Flood product named Clear Wood Finish (CWF) with UV protection. It held up well.

My understanding is that clear coatings last the shortest and provide the least protection. Semi transparent are a bit better. Solid provides the most protection, but hides the grain entirely and approaches a paint-like film that can peel.

Studying this following site has always provided me the best stain information to make decisions: https://www.deckstainhelp.com/

Consumer Reports has/had an on-going stain review for years. The problem, as stated above, is that stain formulations change constantly and one never knows how the new stuff is.

I hope to learn more here from experienced users sharing their results. In Michigan, oil base is still available and I have had good experience with the the lower level Olympic products (not cedar siding).

You first need to decide what kind of wood look you want to end up with. If you want to end up seeing the wood grain then semi transparent.

Solid color stain is not very different than paint. The coating is a film on top of the wood.

I would avoid any coating that might peel. I do not mind painting but hate scraping.

What ever stain you use I would recommend something oil based. Harder to clean up but will last the longest.
And if staining on a hot day with oil you can keep brushing back and forth for several minutes if you wanted to to make sure the stain is in all the wood crevices. With latex, its drying in less than a minute.

Paint I one of my friends has a Cedar log house ,it was beautiful and after 20 years he finally had it painted and has been happy ever after. The jpiuse is still beautiful.

I know the OP would never use this on siding, but we all read these threads to gain knowledge for similar projects.

This gets a very, very bad 4/100.

Crap wood sealer deck stain.jpeg

I know the OP would never use this on siding, but we all read these threads to gain knowledge for similar projects.

This gets a very, very bad 4/100.

View attachment 78341
Superdeck used to be a very respected brand in NorCal. Go with an true oil stain IMO. Penofin and Clark-Armstrong seem to be held in regard in NorCal. I haven’t been impressed by Cabot.

The new waterborne stuff does work but it can raise grain and provides less painful application. I’ve actually been impressed by Behr’s Premium Solid Color stain.

We replaced the cedar shake siding on our lake house and decided to leave them untreated. This was for two reasons; it is a very humid area on the water and we (well my Boss) wanted the natural Cape Cod bleached look. My inclination was to protect them but the contractor talked us out of it saying he in his experience they have more of a chance to trap moisture, the shingles won't dry out as fast. The originals appeared untreated and lasted almost 40 years...

Back