Recommendations for a 2017 BMW 330?

Hello all, lurked here for years and have a lot to thank you for in terms of things learned and deals to be had. But, my new car still leaves me with many questions and few answers after days of searching. 2017 BMW 330i xDrive, 28k seemingly pampered miles.

It seems not many do their own work on these, which I guess makes sense. But I can’t make sense of what I can and can’t put in it oil wise. Mine has the B46 (aka B48) engine. I plan on running 5k intervals, no more. Filter change at the same time of course.

Do I really need to use LL-14FE standard oil? Stuff goes for $12 a quart, and I’ll need six. If I was going to stretch it over BMW’s 10k OCI it would make sense, but I’m not, and it doesn’t.

I’ve heard mixed reports on running Castrol Edge Euro 0W-40, as well as Mobil 1 0W-40 Euro, and Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-30, all of which are much easier to find and much more affordable. Anyone know if I can run any of these safely for 5k miles? Looking to keep my 330 running for a long time.

TIA!
Motul BMW Spec can be found for $12 ish a qt if you shop around on the web. 5 years ago dealer prices varied from 9-18 qt, that’s when I changed to mail order Motul (just as good or better I recon)

I’m guessing resetting the adaptations is going to go beyond home mechanic ability? I’ve got a couple of good indie shops nearby, thankfully.
I'm using this Foxwell NT510 Elite to reset adaptations. Works for the battery replacement, Steering Angle Sensor, and all that esoteric magic stuff.
Do one adaptation and some code reads and it's paid for itself. Very useful if you do any DIY on a BMW.

Foxwell NT510 Elite on Amazon

LL14FE is 0w20 motor oil made for fuel efficiency and a long OCI ( oil change interval). You’ll get a ton of different opinions on this. First decision is if you are OK with going up a grade. That becomes what we call the thickie argument. The next think is if you are willing to stray from BMW specs. If not, you might want to stay with something with a LL-O1 designation that was listed above. EdyVW’s recommendations make sense, but maybe you’ll want to stick with a 5w30 instead of going to a 5w40. On the other hand, if the thickies win, it’s 5w40. Good luck! ;)

You don’t need to stray from BMW specs.

An LL04 5w30 will do the job and they are cheap and plentiful in the UK, so likely even more common and cheaper in the USA.

Also the option to run a 5w40.

After it being pointed that I would struggle to find a 0w40 (I had wrongly assumed there would be a selection of suitable oils) I have done some actual research and will likely be using Motul Specific 5w40.

Run LL01 or LL04 oil. BMW is all over the place with approvals. They pretty much approve LL17, 14, 01FE and 01 in those engines, which actually does not make sense considering SAPS levels of LL17 and at the same time not having LL04 but have LL01.
New, update LL01 and LL04 approvals (2018) have B48 engine test. So far this engine did not show any unusual weaknesses except standard BMW stuff like leaky OFHG, VCG etc. So, oils?
In Wal Mart you have plenty LL01. Castrol Edge 5W30 A3/B4, Castrol Edge 5W40, Valvoline 5W40 European Vehicle, Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5W30 (LL04).
In Advance Auto Parts you have Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W40 on sale for some $33 for 5qt + filter. Some AAP stores have MANN filter, some K&N and Purolator.
My choice? Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W40 in AAP or Castrol Edge 5W30 A3/B4.
You forgot WalMart carries Quaker State Euro LL-01 5w-40 in the gallon jug for $23. May not be one of your top picks, but its there on the shelf at most locations. :)

$5.72 on walmart.com and I just checked like 14 stores in W. WA State...none stock it, only the jug size.
Same at my stores. $5.72/qt., $22.97/5qt. Not bad for the money. Was better when I got some at ~$17/5qt. *sigh, even M1 FS 5W-40 is pushing $30/5qts. now. Amazon has Castrol Euro Car 5W-40 for ~$25/5qt. occasionally though.

Back