Recommendations for a 2017 BMW 330?

Hello all, lurked here for years and have a lot to thank you for in terms of things learned and deals to be had. But, my new car still leaves me with many questions and few answers after days of searching. 2017 BMW 330i xDrive, 28k seemingly pampered miles.

It seems not many do their own work on these, which I guess makes sense. But I can’t make sense of what I can and can’t put in it oil wise. Mine has the B46 (aka B48) engine. I plan on running 5k intervals, no more. Filter change at the same time of course.

Do I really need to use LL-14FE standard oil? Stuff goes for $12 a quart, and I’ll need six. If I was going to stretch it over BMW’s 10k OCI it would make sense, but I’m not, and it doesn’t.

I’ve heard mixed reports on running Castrol Edge Euro 0W-40, as well as Mobil 1 0W-40 Euro, and Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-30, all of which are much easier to find and much more affordable. Anyone know if I can run any of these safely for 5k miles? Looking to keep my 330 running for a long time.

TIA!

Any LL01, 01FE, 04, 14FE can go 10k miles. You're paying for the 10k mile interval.
Good deal. I was hoping so, but I’m new to BMW. I never liked long OCIs anyway, I prefer to periodically see how things are going inside.

I’m not using the auto start/stop feature either, which also apparently was a factor in some of the newer standards.

Well 10k miles has become standard in the US. The reality is that on a 5k OCI you could probably use any 5w30 off the shelf because like I said earlier you're paying for the10k OCI when shopping certs. Just about any passenger oil made today can go 5k miles in a passenger car. You'll see no difference in terms of wear. BTW the B-series engines were specifically designed to be compatible with 20w AND stop/start*.

*The crankshaft on B-series engines has a coating to insure long bearing life

Good deal. I was hoping so, but I’m new to BMW. I never liked long OCIs anyway, I prefer to periodically see how things are going inside.

I’m not using the auto start/stop feature either, which also apparently was a factor in some of the newer standards.
A 10k OCI using an oil that has the correct BMW approvals is fine.
As for other fluids, I’d change the coolant and brake fluid every two years- again using the correct products. The AT, TC, and final drives should have a drain and fill at 60k. The TC should have the adaptations reset when the fluid is changed.
I have owned 12 BMWs over the past 38 years; and I have rarely experienced significant reliability issues, yet if you listen to the BITOG “experts”(most of whom have yet to even sit in a BMW) I should be on my 4th or 5th Chapter 7 and/or living underneath an overpass in a cardboard box.
The key is to not scrimp on maintenance. Use the correct fluids and, with the exception of motor oil, change them as related above.

A 10k OCI using an oil that has the correct BMW approvals is fine.
As for other fluids, I’d change the coolant and brake fluid every two years- again using the correct products. The AT, TC, and final drives should have a drain and fill at 60k. The TC should have the adaptations reset when the fluid is changed.
I have owned 12 BMWs over the past 38 years; and I have rarely experienced significant reliability issues, yet if you listen to the BITOG “experts”(most of whom have yet to even sit in a BMW) I should be on my 4th or 5th Chapter 7 and/or living underneath an overpass in a cardboard box.
The key is to not scrimp on maintenance. Use the correct fluids and, with the exception of motor oil, change them as related above.
Thank you! I asked about all of the above on a BMW forum but didn’t get much information, honestly I’m not sure how many do their own work.

I will do all of the above (and air filter every other oil change since I’m only going 5k). I’m guessing resetting the adaptations is going to go beyond home mechanic ability? I’ve got a couple of good indie shops nearby, thankfully.

Love this car and plan on keeping it running perfectly for a long time.

And regarding experts (not here), can’t tell you how many told me how obscure and difficult it would be to work on. Reality is, once you get the beauty covers and other nonsense out of the way...it’s not that bad, just different. Leaps and bounds easier to access key components than my last car (Nissan Maxima).

Last edited:
Run LL01 or LL04 oil. BMW is all over the place with approvals. They pretty much approve LL17, 14, 01FE and 01 in those engines, which actually does not make sense considering SAPS levels of LL17 and at the same time not having LL04 but have LL01.
New, update LL01 and LL04 approvals (2018) have B48 engine test. So far this engine did not show any unusual weaknesses except standard BMW stuff like leaky OFHG, VCG etc. So, oils?
In Wal Mart you have plenty LL01. Castrol Edge 5W30 A3/B4, Castrol Edge 5W40, Valvoline 5W40 European Vehicle, Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5W30 (LL04).
In Advance Auto Parts you have Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W40 on sale for some $33 for 5qt + filter. Some AAP stores have MANN filter, some K&N and Purolator.
My choice? Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W40 in AAP or Castrol Edge 5W30 A3/B4.

LL14FE is 0w20 motor oil made for fuel efficiency and a long OCI ( oil change interval). You’ll get a ton of different opinions on this. First decision is if you are OK with going up a grade. That becomes what we call the thickie argument. The next think is if you are willing to stray from BMW specs. If not, you might want to stay with something with a LL-O1 designation that was listed above. EdyVW’s recommendations make sense, but maybe you’ll want to stick with a 5w30 instead of going to a 5w40. On the other hand, if the thickies win, it’s 5w40. Good luck! ;)

LL14FE is 0w20 motor oil made for fuel efficiency and a long OCI ( oil change interval). You’ll get a ton of different opinions on this. First decision is if you are OK with going up a grade. That becomes what we call the thickie argument. The next think is if you are willing to stray from BMW specs. If not, you might want to stay with something with a LL-O1 designation that was listed above. EdyVW’s recommendations make sense, but maybe you’ll want to stick with a 5w30 instead of going to a 5w40. On the other hand, if the thickies win, it’s 5w40. Good luck! ;)
I challenge you to find a real difference in viscosity between an LL01/LL04 approved 0W-30, 5W-30, 0W-40, and 5W-40.

It's all splitting the finest of hairs.

B48/58 are designed around heavy oils and LL01 is actually in the manual. So, like Mercedes, 0W20 is there just for MPG except unlike MB, BMW does not say it directly in manual.

I thought BMW swung to slightly heavier viscosities. I'd be tempted to put the 20w into the Accord and buy a 30w from HPL for the BMW.

I thought BMW swung to slightly heavier viscosities. I'd be tempted to put the 20w into the Accord and buy a 30w from HPL for the BMW.

My B58 is very happy on the Pennzoil 5w40, I'd use it again no issue.
Hot and high mountain passes in the summer pair well with the -40 grade.

Unfortunately the sulphur level in Colorado fuel coming out of the Suncor refinery is a tad suspect, otherwise I'd look more strongly at 5w-30 LL-04 oils. Tier 3 10ppm hasn't seem to come here yet, although the state gov't is being taken to task by the EPA for ozone pollution - meaning we might get Tier 3 reformulated fuel.

I think you got this thread mixed up with another thread, where I asked about using HPL Euro 0w20 in a B48 engine or an Accord. Easy to do when reading a few of these similar threads back-to-back! B-)

I guess it would come down to how you use the car as to oil choice. A 5 year old car with 28K seems to me that it either sees loads of short trips or doesn't get driven often. Either would drive me toward a shorter OCI (as you seem to desire) and I would go with any of the readily available LL-04 oils. A LL-14FE will "buy" you the 10K OCI, but thats 2 years in the sump based on your current mileage. If short-tripping, thats too long for my tastes but thats just me. I've owned a few Bimmers and they do respond well to additional maintenance love.

Back