Recommendation for track-driven 97 Honda Prelude

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently purchased a 97 Honda Prelude (2.2L H22A VTEC) with 217k miles on it. The car sees almost exclusively track time -- the only other time it is driven is to/from track events. Right now I'm on a fill of Mobil 1 5w30, and have been to two track events so far. I've yet to get a UOA done on this engine, but I've been trying to figure out what oil to replace it with (or if I should even change).

The engine does consume some oil.. I topped it off after every couple of track sessions (25 min each) over the course of a weekend. From what I've read and from others I've talked to, some consumption is "normal" for this engine especially with high VTEC usage.

Would I be better off with something like a 0w40? Should I just continue with the M1 5w30?

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
If the car is seeing a lot of track times M1 0W40 is better, because it has higher HTHS.

+1.

If you like M1, the 0W-40 is a good choice.

If you want something a bit cheaper, but still stout, Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 HDEO is a good option, and easy to get.

Does the car have an oil cooler? If you have oil temperature under control, 5w30 will be fine. Anything up to 230F in the main oil gallery or 300F in the pan is acceptable for M1, or any good quality synthetic.

If the car is seeing a lot of track times M1 0W40 is better, because it has higher HTHS.

A thicker oil is not a better oil if you're not seeing high oil temp's.
If you're tracking the car you should have at least an oil pressure gauge and an oil temperature gauge while not necessary is very useful.
If you're maintaining the minimum optimum oil pressure with M1 5W-30 then there are only disadvantages of going with the heavier 0W-40.

Thanks all for the replies!

There is a stock oil cooler, but I'm not sure how effective it is yet. I have oil pressure and temp gauges that will be installed before the next event, so I'll report back with what values I'm seeing while on track.

This will be interesting...is 5W-30 what was spec'd from factory? And is everything stock?

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM

If you're tracking the car you should have at least an oil pressure gauge and an oil temperature gauge while not necessary is very useful.
If you're maintaining the minimum optimum oil pressure with M1 5W-30 then there are only disadvantages of going with the heavier 0W-40.

I agree. Since I know that Prelude doesn't have factory oil pressure gauge or oil temperature gauge, and I assume he doesn't have those gauges installed. Without those gauges, I think it is better to have small margin for track cars because his engine will see high rpm most of the times at the track, therefore higher oil temp compares with street driven cars.

He is going to install both oil pressure and temp gauges, then he can monitor both pressure and temp with 5W30 on the next track and by then he will be able to tailor his oil viscosity for his engine.

I'm not the thicker is better guy, I actually using syn xW20 in the E430 and like it better than M1 0W40 it had the first 8 years of its life.

I just finished swapping in a JDM H22A into a 97 Prelude as well, only sad part is... it's Automatic
33.gif
but i only bought it to fix it up (blown motor) and sell it for a small profit to cover my own personal labor while installing the block in my driveway.

It's a good looking car.

33684270015_large.jpg

33684270014_large.jpg

OP, report back with your oil temp/pressure findings.

I had the exact same car (and auto as well :(). It was a great car but did use a tad bit of oil (mine wasn't bad at all, half a qt every 8000km).

I used PP 5w30 in mine but it never saw the track. Just everyday traffic beat down
smile.gif

Mine was also CBM what a great car, I just wished I had gotten it in manual.

Yea the one i have is super clean, interior is flawless, tranny shifts great but it's from up north so the whole bottom is covered in rust
sick.gif

Originally Posted By: Artem
I just finished swapping in a JDM H22A into a 97 Prelude as well, only sad part is... it's Automatic
33.gif
but i only bought it to fix it up (blown motor) and sell it for a small profit to cover my own personal labor while installing the block in my driveway.

It's a good looking car.

33684270015_large.jpg

33684270014_large.jpg

Tasteful, but I would have painted the hood to match the rest of the car, no matter how high quality the texture/finish of the carbon fiber (Seibon??).
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: vvolcano
I recently purchased a 97 Honda Prelude (2.2L H22A VTEC) with 217k miles on it. The car sees almost exclusively track time -- the only other time it is driven is to/from track events. Right now I'm on a fill of Mobil 1 5w30, and have been to two track events so far. I've yet to get a UOA done on this engine, but I've been trying to figure out what oil to replace it with (or if I should even change).

The engine does consume some oil.. I topped it off after every couple of track sessions (25 min each) over the course of a weekend. From what I've read and from others I've talked to, some consumption is "normal" for this engine especially with high VTEC usage.

Would I be better off with something like a 0w40? Should I just continue with the M1 5w30?

I may be wrong.

But to my understanding, the Honda V-Tec system uses the engine oil (however it does) to operate correctly. And it needs the weight Honda calls for. for it to operate correctly.

A lot of VVT systems need the correct oil weight to work 100%.

Vtec I think is one of them. However, I may be wrong.

Why not try Redline in the weight your car calls for? See what happens?

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM

Wrong. Meeting the minimum operating pressure is not the 'tell tale' sign of the engine being properly lubricated. Engines are hydrodynamically lubricated (otherwise referred to as fluid film lubrication). The strength/quality/etc of the film is what we're looking at...not the pressure that gets film there. Here you go-read up http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluid_bearing#Hydrodynamic_lubrication

Originally Posted By: Artem
Yea the one i have is super clean, interior is flawless, tranny shifts great but it's from up north so the whole bottom is covered in rust
sick.gif

I liked that generation of Prelude also. Even test-drove one once, but the car didn't fit me very well, and it didn't feel much faster than my old Turbo Sunbird. Then I went out and bought my first Camaro.

I have a Honda 2.3 and I don't think 5W30 Mobil 1 is your best choice for the track, far from it, I suspect it's quite thin once it heats up. I burned more of that product than with any other oil and it's expensive. Nothing I use keeps it from burning on startup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back