Recommendation for small generator .

nomas

Looking for a small Inverter Generator . Somewhere around 2kw continuous . HONDA is not an option . Too expensive at this time . Checking the reviews on everything else they are good and bad. Any personal experiences ?

Was going to suggest HF for their Predator 3,500 watt inverter generator for around $900 until I saw previous post on the length of warranty. Three months doesn't say a lot for their confidence level, but still may want to take a look!

ust 3500, never requires any wrk just starts'n runs.
Mostly in our race trailer for the ac (12ooowat) to keep cool
and charge winch or 24v race car battery if needed that wk end
@ the track, less than 1/2 the price of the others.

Was going to suggest HF for their Predator 3,500 watt inverter generator for around $900 until I saw previous post on the length of warranty. Three months doesn't say a lot for their confidence level, but still may want to take a look!
I've owned that generator for over three years now and have been very pleased with it. I made sure to give it a thorough shake down while it was still under warranty. My only complaint is that the starter battery gave up the ghost after only two years.

I also have the Westinghouse iGen2200, and it’s a pretty good and solid little generator. I lucked and bought it from Sam’s Club last year when the had them on sale for $373.60 after tax. A hard deal to pass up! Just looking at it you can tell it’s made by the same company who makes Firman, Generac, and others like that. It’s on the small side, but it will run our tv, living room lamps, modem, and small heater if the power goes out when it’s cold out. It will also power our two smaller/average chest freezers by themselves without kicking into the higher RPMs when on Eco mode.

L8R,
Matt

The HF ones are good, but the warranty, as others mentioned. Champion has a large USA footprint. You can order parts right off their website if you want. Wen has a decent USA footprint, and their customer service recently answered an email question I sent them despite saying I don't own one of theirs. Replying to an email with more than a five-word answer, or even replying at all, is a small thing, but I wouldn't expect any reply from lots of companies nowadays.

Check out company profiles on the BBB website to see how they respond to customers' problems and complaints. I can't think of the different generator company at the moment I'm thinking of, but after reading the head guy's often antagonistic and mocking replies on the BBB, I don't think I'd buy anything from them.

Almost everything is a Chinese import now, but if you need a part, or warranty work, where will you get it? That's the main difference in many generator brands. I've seen plenty of reviews from people who paid a little less but then were stuck with a paperweight since they couldn't get any service help from the brand.

I've seen numerous people say there's no tax on Wen if you order from their website. Their site adds tax for me, but they have an office in my state.

You could get the 3500w from Harbor Freight for $900 right now. I know it’s a little over your budget, but it’s a lot of machine too.

Their smaller one is $620. At this point, I’d lean more towards the Generac though.

Currently running our Wen 56380I as the power is out. Waiting a tree crew so may be a few hours. Started the Wen about 5am. Easy. Roll out of garage, start to warm up. Plug in. Go to basement to breaker panel and transfer to generator power while watching power consumption meters. Going to make coffee.

Last edited:
I hope there's a switch in there if U did it that way. U can send power back over the line and zap the workers out there.
May B I'm not understanding. o0O Wait, "...transfer to gen power...' may B that's what I'm looking for, good on ya mate~

I would highly recommend Champion power equipment!
I had one of their 2000w inverters for a couple years and it was reliable, quiet and performed very well.
I upgraded to their 3400 inverter when I got a camper with ac. The 3400 easily runs the ac and any other electrical needs in my camper.
I've had that one since 2019 and not a single issue to date.
You can't beat the 3 year warranty!

Westinghouse 2500... drop the mic.

Inverter to protect your expensive electronics, etc.

Half the price of a Honda and darn, darn good. We have had ours for 3 years and it has over 100 hours on it. Perfect.

Screen Shot 2022-09-19 at 10.08.22 PM.jpg

I have a champion 2000, Among others. Flawless. HF 3 months warranty, champion 3 years.
The Predator 3500 got a five hour workout last night running two refrigerators, a chest freezer and various other odds and ends. We even ran a load of dishes with a heated dry cycle without overtaxing it. Our Champion is an open frame conventional model and hasn't seen much use since the Predator arrived.

I Got a cheap Firman from Costco. It works. I just needed it for emergencies to run the refrigerator and maybe some lights. It works fine.
What Costco sells is pretty good stuff. Also, they have a very liberal return policy. I don't have a Firman, but I've seen many good reviews, and I would probably buy one if I needed another portable.

Looking for a small Inverter Generator . Somewhere around 2kw continuous . HONDA is not an option . Too expensive at this time . Checking the reviews on everything else they are good and bad. Any personal experiences ?
Wen currently has their 2250 W (1800 W continuous) inverter generator on sale for $399.99 if you buy direct from Wen. That price includes tax (depending on the state you are in) and shipping (because there is currently a free shipping deal with them if you buy something over $25). I have no idea how long they will be on sale or how long the free shipping deal will last.

It's their model 56225i which retails for $499.99. It's very quiet and only weighs about 49 lbs if that matters to you. Wen sells a bunch of different generators, but this one has been out for at least a few years and is very popular. Any problems and issues should be well known. Here is a link to it:

I have no ties to the company or anyone selling it. But I know the product fairly well so let me know if you have any questions.

Indestro

Wen currently has their 2250 W (1800 W continuous) inverter generator on sale for $399.99 if you buy direct from Wen. That price includes tax (depending on the state you are in) and shipping (because there is currently a free shipping deal with them if you buy something over $25). I have no idea how long they will be on sale or how long the free shipping deal will last.

It's their model 56225i which retails for $499.99. It's very quiet and only weighs about 49 lbs if that matters to you. Wen sells a bunch of different generators, but this one has been out for at least a few years and is very popular. Any problems and issues should be well known. Here is a link to it:

I have no ties to the company or anyone selling it. But I know the product fairly well so let me know if you have any questions.

Indestro
That’s not a bad price!

L8R,
Matt

4000 max - 3500 running watts - weights 66 pounds + 12 if full of fuel.

I have a Honda EG2800i I bought on sale new from Tractor supply for $900 + tax - the Wen does more and only cost $400 FREE SHIPPING NO TAX (I live in Texas)

If I could go back in time I would buy 2 Wen instead of one Honda.

I do honestly think the Honda will outlast the Wen but this is just back up power for hurricane and freezes so it is not like it gets used a lot.

BTW - if you are ever going to use it to feed your electrical panel make sure it has a plug suitable to make the connection -

the 5-20R on many of these small one will be worthless -

A TT-30R can be used to feed your electrical panel - using an adapter cord to feed a L14-30R power cord (very commonly used for this application)

Back