Recommendation for Roush Mustang

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone. I'm brand new here. I'm been trying to do a little research. I am an Amsoil dealer, but not a very good one. LOL I just got into it to get oil for my own racecars and sell to a few of my friends for their racecars. I would like to learn a little, because more and more people are coming to me with oil questions and concerns.

One friend of mine has been asking me about oil for his Roush Mustang street car. It is more or less a toy that doesn't see regular drive time, and is only used in the Summer. He wants to know if Amsoil is worth his money. I'm honestly not sure. The car is new enough that it is still under warranty. The recommended oil is 5w20 with OCI of 7500 miles. I was surprised to see this is all the Amsoil 5w20 is recommend for. What is different about this weight than others? He isn't looking for an extended OCI, anyways, though. He wants the "best" oil, but doesn't want to waste his money. Specifically, he has asked me about Amsoil vs. Royal Purple vs. Motorcraft. He is currently using Royal Purple. What should I tell him? I want to be honest.

He is also using Lucas oil stabilizer. From the little I have read, this doesn't seem to be a good idea. Am I right with this conclusion?

Ooops...I just found out I was wrong. It actually isn't a Roush. It is a '03 Mach 1. I guess I have to pay attention better.

I own the same car and have run 5w20 Redline, 5w30 Redline and 0w30 SSO. Tell him to quit using the Lucas and go to 30 weight if wants extra protection. I have had great results with any of the above oils.

I'd recommend ASL 5W-30 for a Mach 1.

If it's a Summer car that's not seeing a bunch of miles then no need to spend extra on SSO.

5W-20 will work just fine, but in a Summer car that's likely driven "enthusiastically" I'd go with a 5W-30. I have a Mach engine swapped into my car and I run PP 5W-30 (warmer climate).

Oh yea, and talk him out of that Lucas [censored], or any additives for that matter.

Thank you everyone for the advice. Gives me an idea of a direction. Not sure what he is going to decide, but at least I've got an idea of what to tell him. One thing for sure, I have a lot to learn about oil.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
I would tell him to stay with the Royal Purple. It is a great oil.

^^How about Royal Purple XPR? Can it take a beating better than their regular street oils?

I have an 04 Mach 1 and I am currently using Amsoil XL 5w-20. Engine is noticeably quieter on start up than it was with Mobil 1 5w-20 and 5w-30 both normal and extended performance. I just bought some Pennzoil Platinum 5w-20 for next oil change due to great price. I will pay attention to start up noise differences and base my decision on that for the future. Most mustang forums suggest staying with 5w-20 on the mach motor.

I'd go with the XL 5W-20, as that is what is called for in the manual, and its API-certified, so no warranty issue.

Also, ditch the Lucas additive.

How about the Roush Motor oils Valvoline is making?
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back