Recommendation for BMW manual gearboxes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I maintain (2) manual transmissions in my BMWs. A Getrag built 5 speed in a 94 325is and a ZF built 6 speed in an 09 135. I believe both call for an ATF. I have used various fluids in the 5 speed, Redline MTF, Redline D4ATF, and Mobile One Synthetic ATF. I currently have the Mobil One in both, primarily because it is easily available. I am hoping the Mobil One is an acceptable lube, and will provide adequate lubrication for long service life. The 5 speed box has 220k miles on it and appears to work fine. The 6 speed is much newer to me, has 62k miles on it, and I just recently changed the fluid to the Mobil One. Seems fine. I am using 30k change intervals. Any advice on whether or not the Mobil One is acceptable, and change intervals appreciated. I live in Eastern Pa so cold shift feel is important, but I dont want to sacrifice long service life.

Thanks
Andy

1 Shell spirax s5 ate 75w-90
2 Castrol syntrans transaxle 75w-90
3 Shell Spirax S4 G 75W-90

All well and good to have an inkling that your transmissions take ATF, but you need to find out for sure -- AND you need to find out what KIND of ATF.

I had an E36 M3 before my RX-8 and it took Dexron III ATF. Red Line D4 ATF was good. Motul Multi-ATF was much better. I would not have used Mobil 1 ATF because it's not really a Dexron III product.

If you want a recommendation, double-check the spec and get back to us.

Thanks. The 5 speed spec is Dex II. Maybe Dex III supercedes Dex II? From what I could read on the Mobil One ATF it is useable for Dex III applications.

Originally Posted By: AndySantoro
Thanks. The 5 speed spec is Dex II. Maybe Dex III supercedes Dex II? From what I could read on the Mobil One ATF it is useable for Dex III applications.
Dex III always is a replacement for Dex II

Thanks. The 5 speed spec is Dex II. Maybe Dex III supercedes Dex II?

From what I'm reading, yes.

Regarding Mobil 1 ATF for Dexron III applications, here's what Mobil's PDS says (this is probably what you read):
Quote:
Recommended by ExxonMobil for use in applications requiring Dexron III , Ford Mercon and Mercon V performance levels

and
Quote:

According to ExxonMobil, Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF is of the following quality level:

General Motors Dexron IIIH
General Motors Dexron IIIG

Note that this is different from saying straight-up that it meets Dexron III specs. If it did, they'd have listed Dexron III under the heading, "Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF meets or exceeds the requirements of".

It should be fine, but I'd rather go with something that's more explicit about meeting the OE spec.

Thanks. I found a long series of posts a few years ago for the 09 gearbox and it seems the conclusion was to stick with the original fluid, made by Pentosin. Don't even think the 09 box specs an ATF. The spec is like a light GL 4. I'm a little worried the ATF won't have the right additives. I guess I was hoping the Mobil One would be a good quality lubricant like their engine oils.

Oh, the quality is beyond doubt. The only question is suitability.
smile.gif

For older BMW gearboxes specified for Dexron, I found that the Amsoil MTF worked the best. Redline was slick at the start but always lost shift feel fast, while Amsoil stayed consistent...

Originally Posted By: d00df00d

Quote:

According to ExxonMobil, Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF is of the following quality level:

General Motors Dexron IIIH
General Motors Dexron IIIG

Note that this is different from saying straight-up that it meets Dexron III specs. If it did, they'd have listed Dexron III under the heading, "Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF meets or exceeds the requirements of".

Ahmmm, you do realize that that the Dexron IIIH spec was an improvement over the Dexron IIIG spec which was an improvement over previous Dexron III specs?

Last edited:
I maintain (2) manual transmissions in my BMWs. A Getrag built 5 speed in a 94 325is and a ZF built 6 speed in an 09 135. I believe both call for an ATF. I have used various fluids in the 5 speed, Redline MTF, Redline D4ATF, and Mobile One Synthetic ATF. I currently have the Mobil One in both, primarily because it is easily available. I am hoping the Mobil One is an acceptable lube, and will provide adequate lubrication for long service life. The 5 speed box has 220k miles on it and appears to work fine. The 6 speed is much newer to me, has 62k miles on it, and I just recently changed the fluid to the Mobil One. Seems fine. I am using 30k change intervals. Any advice on whether or not the Mobil One is acceptable, and change intervals appreciated. I live in Eastern Pa so cold shift feel is important, but I dont want to sacrifice long service life.

Thanks
Andy

Forgive me if you already have this link to the ZF lists but if not it might be a good start. FYI, the older Getrag boxes that specified ATF used Esso D-21065 which was a very specific DEXRON-IID fluid that had a higher FZG performance (L/S 12) than was usual at the time.
Anyway here's the link if it's any help to you.
http://www.zf.com/corporate/en_de/produc..._lubricants.jsp

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Ahmmm, you do realize that that the Dexron IIIH spec was an improvement over the Dexron IIIG spec which was an improvement over previous Dexron III specs?

Absolutely. Which is why I was picking on the "according to Exxon-Mobil" etc. language, not the specs themselves.

If they shift good on Mobil 1 I would leave them alone. Tremec recommends Mobil 1 ATF for their manuals. A lot of people here have used MTF on cars calling for ATF and were then displeased with shifting.

The BMW boxes should have a proper MTF in them - I usually recommend and install Redline MTL. Fixes all kinds of issues with them.

Thanks to all the input. Next swap I am going to try a blend of ATF and RL MTL. It doesn't appear the ATFs have the proper additive chemistry for synchromesh gearboxes. Some of the however are a little too thick for smooth operation pain particular when cold. Blend seems the best of both worlds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back