recommend the best gear lube for 2004 Lexus GX470

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just getting ready to have my differential fluid changed again... used Amsoil at 60K, now at 115K. Can't remember if I used 80w90 or 75w90 gear lube last time (old age kicking in). Can someone who knows these gear lubes, suggest which would be best for me? (Front/Rear Diffs and Transfer Case) Also looking for suggestions on the best grease for drive shaft or other maintenance areas (wheel bearings, etc)

I had another thread from the first time I changed out the fluids where several suggested the 75w90, but wanted to see if that still applies these days.

Using the ol' rig for a daily driver in the Seattle area, I head over mountain passes once in a while and some occasional towing of light travel trailer and ski boat.

Thanks for helping out

Last edited:
Hey Spooner,

I just picked up my own GX a couple months ago. As far as gear lubes, Toyota specs a 75w85 but you can use whatever 75w90 you want. Amsoil, Redline or Mobil1 will be the most recommended and it comes down to your brand preference, price, and where you want to pick them up.

I'm not sure if you've done any searches for GX/4Runner driveshaft grease, but there are quite the discussions out there. Based on my research, the most recommended was Amsoil #2 grease - either truck or multipurpose. I asked Pablo and he said either one is fine, maybe multipurpose since you will be using it for other areas? It looks like driveshaft grease is reco'd every 5-10k miles. Since this is my first vehicle in a while to need a grease gun, I paid up and bought a MacNaught unit.

Not sure if you are on any of the other GX/4runner forums, but check out IH8Mud.com, clublexus.com, and toyota-4runner.org.

Pretty interesting. The same SUV is sold here as the Land Cruiser Prado under the Toyota marque, which specs SAE 90 for both differentials and the transfer case.

For chassis components, the local dealer here uses molybdenum disulfide lithium based grease.

Thanks guys, yes I have been checking out the websites you mentioned...turns out the GX470 (Prado) is a pretty dang nice trail runner too. Who knew?
I'm running Redline 5W30 motor oil and it has done great for me. I was thinking of sticking with the Amsoil for the diffs, but just has heard somewhere that there might be a slight whine when using one the 75w over the 80w (totally secondhand and unsubstantiated, but worth looking in to before I make my choice I guess)

A whine would be caused by worn ring and pinion gears, don't see how a 75W-90 would cause that.

The "best" lube? Whatever is the most expensive syn you can find.

Not that it's true, but no reason to upset the apple cart with facts and data when mythology and rhetoric will suffice ...

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
The "best" lube? Whatever is the most expensive syn you can find.

Not that it's true, but no reason to upset the apple cart with facts and data when mythology and rhetoric will suffice ...

"You're a cruel man, but fair". One of Monty Pythons finest........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back