Recommend me a reliable, economical car - under 5k

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Rhymingmechanic
Originally Posted By: Scooby
This is the 2nd repair in 2 years on the trans. AFTER I bought the car, I have found that the C59 transmissions basically eat the input shaft bearing. I've scoured the internet for some sort of upgraded part, but none is available. My only "upgrade" option is the buy a C60 6 speed that has had the ratio changed to match my 1ZZ motor. Only problem...$2800.

This car has 155k miles, and would be more than happy to keep it for another 155k miles. I change the manual lube every 15k miles with either Motul or Redline...but it seems to make no difference.

It sounds like you've done your research,but is the shop going to rebuild the same trans they fixed last time? I wonder if you might have better luck with a rebuilt unit from Toyota. What is the cost to repair the current trans vs getting the 6-speed or a factory rebuild?

Yes, they are using the same trans. The rest of the tranny is in good condition. A used tranny is anywhere from 1100-1600 with 80-100k miles on them. A reman from Toyota is over $2,000.

The rebuild cost is a little shy of $800.

If I had it to do over again, I would have went with an auto. Apparently the auto's are much more reliable.

Funny thing is, it took me a long time to find a relatively low mileage 5 speed in good condition when I bought it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JOD
Originally Posted By: css9450
Surprised no one has mentioned a gently-used Crown Victoria yet.

No one is averaging 30+mph in a Crown Vic, which was one of his requirements.

I dunno, I've read some pretty outlandish claims re: Crown Vics, here on the forum. I don't necessarily believe them.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
I think it's kind of funny even though the car wears out input bearing people keep suggesting the Corolla is most reliable. It might have reliability in many other areas but transmission failure is pretty major and knocks reliability way down.

Don't be silly, nothing will spoil Toyota's image. A while ago there was a poster claiming he had ZERO problems with his Corolla, except he had to change the alternator and some other things that broke, and the zero problems claim was made in the same sentence as the repair list
33.gif

Kia Spectras that are based on the Hyundai Elantra. (03 and up I believe)

I don't like the way the shifter feels and at that time Kia did not have a clue about handling, but they appear to be every bit as reliable as any Beta powered Hyundai Elantra. Better looking than the Elantras too (except the current model)

I'm especially fond of the styling of the Spectra5. Would have bought one except that shifter was a little on the vague side and the handling was lackluster. But it's still a really attractive and well appointed wagon.

Or, if you don't mind doing an intake manifold gasket as a pre-emptive measure, there's also the 2000+ Chevrolet Impala. $5000 should net a pretty nice LS/LS Sport or maybe even an LT. It won't average 30mpg, but 30mpg on the freeway should be obtainable. I do like the way W chassis cars ride on the freeway.

There's always a nice D-series Civic....no. Scratch that. then you are back at square one with the input shaft bearing failures. Especially in the 6th gens for some reason.

If you're driving pattern suits it, what about picking up a manual (stick shift)?

You get better mpg and there is no transmission failure to worry about. You'll probably get it cheaper as there is less of a market for it.

Originally Posted By: rjacket
If you're driving pattern suits it, what about picking up a manual (stick shift)?

You get better mpg and there is no transmission failure to worry about. You'll probably get it cheaper as there is less of a market for it.

This is a manual that I have. And around here, the 5 speeds are rare and no cheaper.

Originally Posted By: RamFan
What about a Focus?

Has the older (2002-2005) Ford Focus proven to be a reliable car? I know nothing about them, but many are on CL for 3-4k.

Originally Posted By: rjacket

This is a manual that I have. And around here, the 5 speeds are rare and no cheaper.

Oic

Have you thought of taking advantage of all those very low / 0% finance deals out there for up to 60 months or even lease deals as low as $149 a month?

In my opinion, buying a new car at this time in the economic cycle is a smart thing as the depreciation is so low.

And getting a new compact Hyundai with a 10 year warranty gets you a way better (and more reliable) car than a very old one that is currently very expensive due to the hot second hand market.

I wouldn't be surprised if the true ownership costs of a new car were not that much different than what you are looking at.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Originally Posted By: mechanicx
I think it's kind of funny even though the car wears out input bearing people keep suggesting the Corolla is most reliable. It might have reliability in many other areas but transmission failure is pretty major and knocks reliability way down.

Don't be silly, nothing will spoil Toyota's image. A while ago there was a poster claiming he had ZERO problems with his Corolla, except he had to change the alternator and some other things that broke, and the zero problems claim was made in the same sentence as the repair list
33.gif

He forgot that list when he filled out his CR survey as well...lol

Got a 2003 Corolla. Had it for 2 years and has 155k miles. Its going today to go into tranny shop again. It's a 5 speed, and the input shaft bearing in these cars are prone to failure. Thinking about selling when it's fixed and getting something different.

My 2005 Corolla just turned 220k miles and never an issue with the manual 5 sp transmission. There was a lab here in SLC who had a fleet of Corollas and I think everyone went 250k+ and some 300k with normal maintenance (the seats were all gone by then). They went to the HHR and doubt they will make 150k with any of them.

What and where is this a "common" issue with the input shafts? First I've heard of this and I'd like to know.

What is the history of your vehicle? Use? Maintanence? I read where you have changed the lube every 15k but still having issues. Interesting since I've got 150k+ on my last fill of transmission lube(in fact started a thread the other day on it) and not a single hickup...
21.gif

Bill

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Got a 2003 Corolla. Had it for 2 years and has 155k miles. Its going today to go into tranny shop again. It's a 5 speed, and the input shaft bearing in these cars are prone to failure. Thinking about selling when it's fixed and getting something different.

My 2005 Corolla just turned 220k miles and never an issue with the manual 5 sp transmission. There was a lab here in SLC who had a fleet of Corollas and I think everyone went 250k+ and some 300k with normal maintenance (the seats were all gone by then). They went to the HHR and doubt they will make 150k with any of them.

What and where is this a "common" issue with the input shafts? First I've heard of this and I'd like to know.

What is the history of your vehicle? Use? Maintanence? I read where you have changed the lube every 15k but still having issues. Interesting since I've got 150k+ on my last fill of transmission lube(in fact started a thread the other day on it) and not a single hickup...
21.gif

Bill

Just google it. It is the 2003/2004 C59 transmissions in Corolla's, Vibe's, and Matrix.

Let's see. 325k x 2 years = 650k units in 2003/2004 (Corolla only) Take 10% of those were manuals (I'd bet it was slightly larger percentage but I'll go with that) so 65,000 units.

Never heard of this so I'm doubting its "prone to failure" / a real big problem. Big if you get it but far from common in my book.

Don't want to tell us the maintenance, history or such fine.
Can't get that info via Google.

Just trying to get info.
21.gif
Sorry its happening to you.

Bill

If I were looking for a used economical small car, I'd look at a Mazda Protege 1999-. Protege 5 is a nice litte wagon. Make sure the timing belt has be changed. Lower motor mount needed to be replaced on my 99' auto lx. Very nice little car! The 1.6 motor is a little under-powered w/the auto but sould be fine w/a stick. The other motors, 1.8/2.0 would be even better.

Let's see. 325k x 2 years = 650k units in 2003/2004 (Corolla only) Take 10% of those were manuals (I'd bet it was slightly larger percentage but I'll go with that) so 65,000 units.

Never heard of this so I'm doubting its "prone to failure" / a real big problem. Big if you get it but far from common in my book.

Just trying to get info.
21.gif

Bill

Sorry...but can you read? I already listed my maintenance schedule....EVERY 15000 MILES WITH MOTUL OR REDLINE!!!

On one Corolla forum, a poll taken there were over 300 owners of manual transmissions that confirmed this problem. Yes, a small percentage of owners.

I called 2 (TWO) and visited 1 (ONE) Toyota dealership. Of the two I called, one was not aware of this problem. The other was aware and recommended against a used unit because of the failure. The dealership I visited I actually spoke to one of the transmission guys. When I started talking, he said "Oh yeah...I've done quite a few of them". He said that it was a known issue.

Common for one is different for one person to another. Some people may think UFO's are common, others may not.

In my findings...this issue is far from remote.

BTW: I'm not bashing Toyota. I currently own 2, and have owned 4 others. I love their vehicles...but they are not immune to issues.

Last edited:

Just trying to get info.
21.gif

Bill

Sorry...but can you read?

I'll send you a PM since I don't need to be insulted.

Done here.
confused2.gif

Bill

21.gif

Bill

Curious, question. Why do you assume that the HHRs will not hit 150k? They use a very reliable Ecotec 4 cylinder, and generally reliable transmissions. Wondering what the issue you have with them is?

Just trying to get info.
21.gif

Bill

Sorry...but can you read?

I'll send you a PM since I don't need to be insulted.

Done here.
confused2.gif

Bill

Bill...as I said in the PM...I apologize for coming at you like that. Never meant for the thread to get off subject.

Originally Posted By: Nick R
... They went to the HHR and doubt they will make 150k with any of them.

Bill

Curious, question. Why do you assume that the HHRs will not hit 150k? They use a very reliable Ecotec 4 cylinder, and generally reliable transmissions. Wondering what the issue you have with them is?

I logged in to ask the same question. Between the 2.2 and 2.4 ecos and the 4T45E, the mechanicals are pretty darn reliable.

There are a few people on the HHR net with well over 200,000 miles, one medical courier in particular has over 300,000 miles on his. Also there are quite a few companies running the HHR in delivery services...other than blind speculation I dont think there is any merit to this "doubt".

Originally Posted By: Nick R

Because there is more to a vehicle than the engine. The Toyotas all had their seats destroyed by the time they made the high miles (which was about the only thing that was common on that fleet that had issues that I knew of)

The replacement HHR are having tons of body issues and other concerns that I know they are looking for replacements already. They don't want to spend a lot of $$ keeping the vehicle going if its going to be the "gift that keeps taking money".

I know they have about 5 of the Ford transits in service now to see how they are performing before they buy more of anything (which is smart. If they did that with the HHR maybe they would not have bought as many)

My questions are trying to find out what/how/why something happens. But I don't care enough to get the story now.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back