Recommend good noise canceling headset please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's your budget, what type of music do you listen to and do you have a bias towards hard hitting bass? I'm assuming you want noise canceling, not noise isolating?

Ohh, you're looking for a set of ear protection for the range. I was already trying about my Bose headphones.

The set of powered earmuffs that I use is "Howard Leight Impact Pro". Amazon has them. No complaints here.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
Ohh, you're looking for a set of ear protection for the range. I was already trying about my Bose headphones.

The set of powered earmuffs that I use is "Howard Leight Impact Pro". Amazon has them. No complaints here.

Same. Got two pair, one for me, one for my wife.

I've shot thousands of rounds wearing cheap headphones and hear just fine. Wait, my wife is calling.....what??

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Originally Posted By: Bandito440

Same. Got two pair, one for me, one for my wife.

Same. Unbelievable

Shooting muffs aren't actually noise canceling, the have a microphone that amplifies ambient sound and turns off instantly with a loud noise. When they are off or the battery is dead they are regular muffs.

Mine are Howard Leight and they seem good but they are the only ones I've used.

I normally never log in, just lurk. I have quite a bit of experience here, so I'll give it a go.

BLUF: Buy the Howard Leight off Amazon!

The Army issues me some very expensive headsets, (Peltors and Liberator III's).

During training and deployments, I still prefer my Howard Leight, they don't seal as good as the Peltors, and harder to get under my MICH, but they are a whole lot more comfortable.

Lastly they are tough and cheap. I can use an adapter to change the line in with a standard NATO plug.

Go Howard Leight for shooting ear pro.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Timo325
I normally never log in, just lurk. I have quite a bit of experience here, so I'll give it a go.

During training and deployments, I still prefer my Howard Leight, they don't seal as good as the Peltors, and harder to get under my MICH, but they are a whole lot more comfortable.

Lastly they are tough and cheap. I can use an adapter to change the line in with a standard NATO plug.

I bought these this morning! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007BGSI5U/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Another vote for the Howard Leight's.
And great to use when using the mower, chainsaw, weed eater, etc... When you want to hear afterwards!!

For me, more important than the minor differences between hearing quality and sound attenuation has been fit. Ordered several pair and realized the comfort of wearing a set of earmuffs over an extended period of time was the bigger factor. Peltor, some of the Walker brands, etc., have the wire attachments that seem to fit and feel better than the plastic headpieces/muff connectors. Electronic muffs will really change your shooting/hunting experience, but only if you aren't bothered by being uncomfortable after wearing them for a while. To my point, I went with a set of Walker electronic muffs due to the comfort of fit and also kept the Peltors for my wife for the same reason.

There are actually a couple of approaches to amplified noise-suppressing (not noise-cancelling) ear muffs. One just shuts the amplifier circuitry off when there's a loud noise. The other approach is to 'clip' the peaks off of any sound that's above a preset loudness threshold.

The former approach turns everything off during a loud event, and turns it back on based on a preset timer. The latter approach gives continuous amplification and a stable volume. It simply limits the amp output to a pre-defined peak.

The latter approach (clipping the peaks) is vastly superior for being able to hear during strings of fire. The inexpensive muffs do not employ this technique. My Pro Ears are of this clipping type. They are quite a bit more than the simple shut-off circuitry type, but they're worth saving for.

Originally Posted By: sasilverbullet
Originally Posted By: Timo325

I bought these this morning! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007BGSI5U/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I looked at these and note that the NRR (noise reduction ratio) is 30 which is excellent. I have a set with NRR 26 which works ok but the higher the number, the better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back