Recommend a water filter/purifier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: DBMaster
Ugh, not this stuff again. I started adding a quarter teaspoon of pink sea salt in addition to the half teaspoon of baking soda to my 1.5 gal refrigerator jug. I noticed what waters like Dasani, Aquafina, etc. had in them for "flavor." It does give the water a nicer mouthfeel, if that makes any sense. I drink tons of water and only water every day. I was having issues with heartburn and did a bit of reading about how alkaline water might help. I bought a variety of bottles of alkaline spring water at stores and, sure enough, it helped. So I looked up how to make my own, for cheap. The pink sea salt just adds a bit more flavor, even at that low concentration and it supposedly has a number of trace minerals in it.

I'm not sure how something that mixes in your stomach with food, acid, and enzymes can leach minerals from your skeleton, but I'm not changing my water habits. After living with horrible tasting tap water in Corpus Christi I learned to enjoy R/O water - even its "flat" taste.

I'm sure you know that the baking soda just replaced the tums as its basically the same thing. Baking soda is a weak caustic, very similar pH and properties as calcium carbonate the main ingredient in tums that settles the acid in our stomachs.

^Yes, I am aware of that. I measured the pH of my R/O product water and it was 7.0 (my meter is not professional grade, but I did calibrate with standard solution). I don't doubt that the large amounts of R/O water I was drinking was contributing to the heartburn. If nothing else, a full stomach - even full of water - can reflux more readily.

I do not drink soft drinks on a regular basis or even keep them around the house, not even fruit juice.

Ended up with the Zero Water.

~ $40 @ BBB. Yeah, they're proud of their filters, but I figure it'll still be cheaper than buying 2-3 gal of purified water per week @ $.89/gal.

We'll see...

C593C41E-2F13-4C99-A91E-E5550C5A9B2D-595-000000461C637559_zps1a9c5279.jpg

Drinking my first glass of water from my new Zero Water filtering dispenser.

Wow... I'm impressed! No taste whatsoever to the Zero Water. Actually, water out of the tap at my apartment tastes like dirty dishwater in comparison. Yuck!

Well, I never noticed it before, because the best you've had is the best you know.

Came with a little electronic meter that you dip in the water to measure TDS (stands for total dissolved solids, I'm assuming).

Water out of my tap measured 125

Distilled water bought in a gal jug - 000

Water from the Zero Water dispenser - 000

Wow... I'm impressed

John, good choice. You can, at least sometimes, get coupons from the Zero Water site for discounts in the filters. I thought they were pretty long-lived. Plus, your 125 ppm water is not too bad so they should last longer than mine were with 190 ppm. You use the filter until the meter reads 006. That should be at least a couple hundred gallons from now. Due to the size and filter type it does take a lot longer for the water to run through the thing than it does with Brita. The filter is multi-stage, but deionization is the primary purification action going on and it is very effective.

whats the best easily installable filter?

right now I have a pur one with the "3 stage" filters

I use it for drinking water, Ice cubes, Iced tea, Coffee, cooking

not really into replumbing the sink it has pex crimped water lines.

I'd consider a pitcher but I need Gallons at a time sometimes. and I dont really want to use cold water to brew tea or coffee.

Here is a comment about zero water.

I am a chemist and I work in the water treatment industry. I had to throw in my two cents on Zero Water. When they say zero water is ‘zero’ they are correct. It removes all suspended and dissolved solid from the water. When those dissolved solids are removed, it drops the conductance of the water to ‘zero’, hence the name.

It is true that they use ion exchange to a degree in the nuclear industry, however the water that is filtered is not used for drinking. It is used as supply water for generating steam. If the water had any dissolved solids, like calcium or magnesium, they would precipitate onto heat transfer surfaces and create scale and eventual equipment failures.

I would NOT recommend ever using a product like zero water for normal drinking water. First off, pure water is extremely corrosive. True, the pH of pure water is 7, or neutral. However pure water does not like being pure. It will immediate begin the process of absorbing carbon dioxide from the atmosphere and when CO2 becomes ‘wet’ it breaks down to carbonic acid. This drops the pH of the zero water to 5 or 6… this is horrible for your teeth, (this is also why global warming by way of CO2 is impossible, moisture in the atmosphere absorbs CO2 and produces acid rain). Not to mention the fact that the purified water will absorb minerals in your stomach and blood stream rather than deliver minerals as does normal well or municipal supplied water. Basically, you could create a health problem for yourself by drinking this.

What you could do if your [censored] bent on using this thing… is buy some powdered calcium carbonate and add a small amount to the purified water immediately after filtration. This will buffer the pH and keep the water from being aggressive to your innards.

What I would recommend is to chlorinate your water, then filter with activated carbon. The carbon will remove all organics and chlorine from the water. This of course will not work for radioactive isotopes, but then I would recommend an RO, (reverse osmosis) and add CaCO3 to the permeate to buffer the pH. Or, you could use the zero water… but if memory serves, one zero water cartridge will only filter something like 25 gallons. An RO will do several thousand gallons and the membrane can be removed and cleaned to be reused.

Originally Posted By: Mamala Bay
Here is a comment about zero water.

I am a chemist and I work in the water treatment industry. I had to throw in my two cents on Zero Water. When they say zero water is ‘zero’ they are correct. It removes all suspended and dissolved solid from the water. When those dissolved solids are removed, it drops the conductance of the water to ‘zero’, hence the name.

It is true that they use ion exchange to a degree in the nuclear industry, however the water that is filtered is not used for drinking. It is used as supply water for generating steam. If the water had any dissolved solids, like calcium or magnesium, they would precipitate onto heat transfer surfaces and create scale and eventual equipment failures.

I would NOT recommend ever using a product like zero water for normal drinking water. First off, pure water is extremely corrosive. True, the pH of pure water is 7, or neutral. However pure water does not like being pure. It will immediate begin the process of absorbing carbon dioxide from the atmosphere and when CO2 becomes ‘wet’ it breaks down to carbonic acid. This drops the pH of the zero water to 5 or 6… this is horrible for your teeth, (this is also why global warming by way of CO2 is impossible, moisture in the atmosphere absorbs CO2 and produces acid rain). Not to mention the fact that the purified water will absorb minerals in your stomach and blood stream rather than deliver minerals as does normal well or municipal supplied water. Basically, you could create a health problem for yourself by drinking this.

What you could do if your [censored] bent on using this thing… is buy some powdered calcium carbonate and add a small amount to the purified water immediately after filtration. This will buffer the pH and keep the water from being aggressive to your innards.

What I would recommend is to chlorinate your water, then filter with activated carbon. The carbon will remove all organics and chlorine from the water. This of course will not work for radioactive isotopes, but then I would recommend an RO, (reverse osmosis) and add CaCO3 to the permeate to buffer the pH. Or, you could use the zero water… but if memory serves, one zero water cartridge will only filter something like 25 gallons. An RO will do several thousand gallons and the membrane can be removed and cleaned to be reused.

First, pure water is indeed electrically conductive. Don't believe it? I'll host an experiment: Come over to my house and I'll turn on a hair dryer and drop it in my new Zero Water dispenser. You stick your hand in there, then tell me Zero Water isn't conductive.
smile.gif

Second, I'm not convinced that ionically-purified water leaches minerals from the body. Even if it could be proven that it did, it wouldn't be a concern or health risk, as most everyone gets an over-abundance of vitamins and minerals in their food alone. Not to mention, most people these days, myself included, take daily vitamin supplements.

The pH thing is irrelevant to me anyway, as I eat tons of acidic foods (lots of onion, tomato, and citrus), which are much lower in pH than any purified water could ever be.

So, sorry, but that argument doesn't "hold water."

I believe that my Zero cartridges lasted for more than 25 gallons. The lifespan of the media will depend upon what's in your tap water. I think mine were lasting closer to 100 gallons. I'd be interested to know how long yours last.

Until I started adding the little bit of baking soda to my R/O water I had been drinking it "straight" for twenty years. This would be anecdotal, but I don't suffer from mineral deficiencies and my teeth are in good shape. I know that's not worth much. A half teaspoon of baking soda in 1.5 gallons of R/O water raises the TDS from 5 to over 200. It doesn't really add "flavor" but it makes the water "feel" softer. Hard to explain, but I have been enjoying it that way.

I sent an e-mail to Zero Water and asked them about the mineral leaching thing. Here's my question and their response:

Originally Posted By: john_pifer
Hello,

Is your company aware that certain individuals are perpetuating the idea that water filtered by the ionic exchange method is harmful to health as a result of low pH and leaching minerals from the body?

How does Zero Water respond to this?

John Pifer
(Recently purchased a Zero Water dispenser)

Quote:
The ZeroWater filtration process is similar to the demineralization processes such as desalination and Reverse Osmosis including some purified bottled water. The World Health Organization (WHO) made clarification that a majority of the healthy minerals needed for human body are from food or dietary supplementary sources and not from drinking water. There has been no evidence to suggest that demineralized water is detrimental to your health or ‘leaches beneficial minerals from the body’. Additionally, ZeroWater filtered water typically registers a pH level between 6.5 – 7, neutral.

If you have any concerns drinking filtered water from your ZeroWater system we encourage you to speak with your healthcare professional.

This is a topic of dissent likely to rage on. My ex-wife was dating a college biology professor for a while. She was missing the nice R/O water that she grew accustomed to when we were married. She purchased a system and enlisted the guy to install it for her. He installed it, but bypassed the membrane. Thus, the water was just going through the sediment and carbon filters. He made the same statements about very pure water being unhealthy.

Considering that my tap water comes from the DFW area's busiest recreation lake I'll take my chances.

Looks good, but needing to change the filters four times a year makes it even more expensive than an R/O system. Honestly, though, any of the filtration methods mentioned in this thread will improve the taste of tap water even though most, including mine, is not unsafe to drink straight from the faucet. Try mine in the summer. It's like expensive mushrooms. Even the city web site talks about the "earthy" taste. Yum! Gotta love earthy water.

Seriously, though, we are for the most part, blessed to have safe drinking water available in unlimited quantities any time we want it. This is unique in the history of humans on Earth.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster

Seriously, though, we are for the most part, blessed to have safe drinking water available in unlimited quantities any time we want it. This is unique in the history of humans on Earth.

You sure have a good point there!

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Originally Posted By: Shannow
Steve, I keep hearing that the R.O. removing body minerals is a myth...

However, I have seen time and time again what this water does to (mineral bearing) concrete in a very short period of time...it is hungry for ions, and I agree with your statement.

People always pooh pooh it as a myth, yet folks who know chemistry cannot deny the 'attraction'. Generally the naysayers are in the water treatment biz as well, selling RO machines! It does make sense, and is undeniably true and verifiable easily at home for yourself.

I'm in trouble then, because I've been using DISTILLED water which is then polished off in a brita for all of my potable water for the past 7 years. Pure H2O is by far the best tasting water I have ever had. Of course, I always thought that I don't rely on water for minerals.

Recently, it appears the City of Toronto has switched over to Chloramine, instead of free Chlorine. It has a distinct smell that chloramine. {fog horn}

Originally Posted By: jrustles

However, I have seen time and time again what this water does to (mineral bearing) concrete in a very short period of time...it is hungry for ions, and I agree with your statement.

People always pooh pooh it as a myth, yet folks who know chemistry cannot deny the 'attraction'. Generally the naysayers are in the water treatment biz as well, selling RO machines! It does make sense, and is undeniably true and verifiable easily at home for yourself.

I'm in trouble then, because I've been using DISTILLED water which is then polished off in a brita for all of my potable water for the past 7 years. Pure H2O is by far the best tasting water I have ever had. Of course, I always thought that I don't rely on water for minerals.

Recently, it appears the City of Toronto has switched over to Chloramine, instead of free Chlorine. It has a distinct smell that chloramine. {fog horn}

What's the point of running distilled water thru a Brita?

I was wondering the same thing. I've heard of running cheap vodka through a Brita to approximate the purity of more rectified distilled spirits.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: jrustles

I buy it in PETE jugs which leach some sort of chemical into the water. It's not an acrid, VOC or even an polyethylene plasticizer smell, it's a 'smooth, basic' flavour that I noticed PETE bottles emit consistently, which I can clearly smell when the bottles are dried. It actually makes the water taste 'smoother', not unpleasant at all, but I know it's a contaminant and have not identified it, so it gets polished off using the brita's carbon. The ion exchange pellets in the brita probably never degrade after months, so they only get replaced for the carbons sake.

Even if I distilled it myself, I would still polish it after with an adsorbent because of possible lighter compounds condensing out with the water vapour ie chloramine

^That makes sense. Even R/O systems include a polishing carbon block filter post membrane. I know the smell you are talking about. That was why I avoided buying drinking water in #2 plastic bottles in the past. A good friend of mine just gets his distilled water in the five gallon jugs and uses a basic ceramic crock type dispenser. The five gallon carboys seem to be made of plastic that does not add "flavor" to the water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back