Recharged house a/c, cools better but gauges still low.

Of course not, he would want to sell me a new unit for $8000 made with a Chinese components and won't last ten years.
Well at some point you will need a new one. It will be more efficient. And you can plan the install rather than have it break and get on the list of when a company can do the install. Home buyers will baulk at a really old HVAC.

Well at some point you will need a new one. It will be more efficient. And you can plan the install rather than have it break and get on the list of when a company can do the install. Home buyers will baulk at a really old HVAC.
Yet, tell someone here who is driving full size pickups and SUV's they need to buy something more efficient. See how well that goes over. And if said truck's transmission or other expensive part breaks, the usual advice here is to fix it since a new truck is so expensive. Why the 180 here? Don't think I want to spend $8000 to save $20 a month on the electric bill.

What I've found is they would rather sell you a whole new system rather than diagnose and repair the old one.

Find a better contractor.... or one that suits your needs.
R22 is cost prohibitive for most people.
The freon replaced with a couple of others.
There are lots of options.
I could string you along as long as you let me.....
Keep that old thing running and still sell you a new one down the road.

There is a new refrigerant coming in 2025.
Do not buy a unit before then.

At a minimum, try adding this.

It is expensive but it works pretty well.
If it doesn't work, it leaves UV dye so the leak can be found.

Yet, tell someone here who is driving full size pickups and SUV's they need to buy something more efficient. See how well that goes over. And if said truck's transmission or other expensive part breaks, the usual advice here is to fix it since a new truck is so expensive. Why the 180 here? Don't think I want to spend $8000 to save $20 a month on the electric bill.
You are beyond the expected useful life. Way beyond. Parts are probably not available beyond a generic capacitor or fan motor. It will break on July 4th and you might be two weeks with no A/C. You can rent a Hertz car while your car is being fixed. What do you do when there is no A/C for a week or two? Unhappy wife & kids.

Maybe all you do is get some estimates. Find a HVAC
company you feel will do the proper install, not take shortcuts. Maybe work on a better deal in their less busy time of the year.

Tax credits for a heat pump install.

In my experience a licensed HVAC professional will often top a slow leaker R22 system without finding a leak. These so called "harmful" systems will phase themselves out eventually. What I do find criminal is how often some contractors will provide misleading information to a customer to increase their profits.
Canadian laws are more restrictive than those in the U.S. Most regulations in Canada and the U.S. appear to benefit the business and not the consumer. It is illegal to work on a r134 system in Canada without a license yet you can buy a can of duster gas containing the same chemical. The entire purpose of duster gas is to release it into the environment.

You are beyond the expected useful life. Way beyond.
You could say that to the owner of an 80s or 90s or even a 2000 pickup that asks if he should get his transmission rebuilt. And not a whole lot to go wrong in an a/c system and some new parts can be made to fit. Replaced the condenser fan a few years ago for under $100. If the compressor dies, don't they make universal ones too that can fit? If not, I'll get a new condenser unit.

In my experience a licensed HVAC professional will often top a slow leaker R22 system without finding a leak.
You can "top it off" if the leak is below a certain % of total charge.
But you can also either look for a leak and or/add the nu calgon product.
Try to solve the problem.

As you are aware, leaky systems tend to kill themselves.
First thing you look for is oil residue.
Not everyone can afford to buy a new system.

If you are not EPA certified, what you are doing is a federal crime.
If you were not aware of that before, you are now.
Only a fed crime "if" he did it commercially. If he is the homeowner, and had the working fluid in his possession, it's perfectly legal. Remember, the US Constitution's "Interstate Commerce Clause", is the driving force behind the massive Code of Federal Regulations affecting commerce. There is exactly zero federal authority over the individual. State laws may be a different matter.

Yes, in recent years, the CFR's have been changed to, in some aspects, regulate the individual. No such cases have made SCOTUS yet. And again, there is no Constitutional authority for federal regulation of the individual, not engaged in commerce.

Did not know you could still get R22. (Just like you can’t get R12 for cars).

My Amana compressor -
Goodman Evaporator Air Handler unit installed in 2010 working fine here in hot-humid Florida. Uses some strange modern refrigeration gas.

Btw. Air temp at evaporator around 59F.
Lower if RH Low. Higher if RH is high as unit fighting to remove humidity from house.

Did not know you could still get R22. (Just like you can’t get R12 for cars).

My Amana compressor -
Goodman Evaporator Air Handler unit installed in 2010 working fine here in hot-humid Florida. Uses some strange modern refrigeration gas.

Btw. Air temp at evaporator around 59F.
Lower if RH Low. Higher if RH is high as unit fighting to remove humidity from house.
Goodman is the builder grade around here and is good for 6 to 8 years.

What I've found is they would rather sell you a whole new system rather than diagnose and repair the old one.
After 2020, only recovered, recycled, or reclaimed supplies of R-22 will be available. Drop ins are the alternative. 1/1/2025 R 454B will be one of the new refrigerants is flammable. Has some propane in it. The main reason companies don't want to fix a 22 system is the cost of refrigerate and labor. The newest 22 system is close to 25 years old. Company comes out charges 1 k week later breaks again who's mad you are. Still have a 25 year old furnace and a evap coil with a 25 year old metal condensate pan.

After 2020, only recovered, recycled, or reclaimed supplies of R-22 will be available. Drop ins are the alternative. 1/1/2025 R 454B will be one of the new refrigerants is flammable. Has some propane in it. The main reason companies don't want to fix a 22 system is the cost of refrigerate and labor. The newest 22 system is close to 25 years old. Company comes out charges 1 k week later breaks again who's mad you are. Still have a 25 year old furnace and a evap coil with a 25 year old metal condensate pan.
No propane in R454B. Its a blend of of R32 and R1234yf.

Back