Recent Rental '14 Camry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got back from a family wedding in Orlando yesterday.

I delegated rental car acquisition to Mrs. Tdbo after the vacation car rental fiasco this past summer with Hertz and a Mitsubishi Galant. She consulted Shatner for a Priceline. "Name Your Own Price." She told me this after the fact and that Hertz met the bid. AARGH!!!

However, I must give credit where credit is due. Ended up with a '14 Camry SE w/ Leather that just turned 20K. Nice driving car and comfortable. Rode like a larger car. Only gripe that I could find was the cheap plastic chrome trim on the console that looked cheap to start with and looked even worse after the normal scratches that occur. Other than that, I really liked the way it drove (even better than my Accord.) Too bad that I couldn't have had this car for the 1500 mile drive last summer, instead of the 140 mile drive this weekend.

Only other issue was a surly woman at the car rental desk. She became upset and mouthy when the gentleman assisting my wife in the wheelchair did not push her wheelchair through the roped maze (that no one was in.) Guess that tact and finesse is not a prerequisite for working at the rental counter at Hertz. However, I didn't have to say a word because he told her to Ben Dover before I could even get my mouth open. Let's just say that his tip reflected his added emphasis on customer service.

Better experience but still not great. Nice car though.

Yep, I have a 2014 Camry SE this week too. Very impressed by it and easy to see why so many people buy them. If I needed a reliable mid-size sedan I'd give it strong consideration.

I've been renting cars left and right the past month driving between NH and Pittsburgh.

Rented a Altima S 1 week and a Camry SE the following week. I like the Camry seats better but if I had to pick one it would be the Altima 10 time every day to Sunday. More value for the $$ and the mpg smoked the Camry. Better ride, quieter and more HP and torque.

Then I went out and bought a Charger....go figure.

Nice review.

I don't understand why manufacturers insist on putting chrome trim on the interior. What irritates me most, is chrome trim on the shift handle, and surround. Have they not ever driven an auto when the sun is shining?! Sun beating down on chrome = blinding glare.

I am getting off topic with the chrome: I had a 1991 Honda Accord some years ago. Honda had put chrome on the plastic interior door handles, and at the base of the shift knob. As it aged, that 'chrome' cracked and pulled back from these handles. It would slice fingers that used those handles without caution. I could not simply scrub off the protruding edges as should have been possible with paint.

Originally Posted By: kkreit01
Nice review.

I don't understand why manufacturers insist on putting chrome trim on the interior. What irritates me most, is chrome trim on the shift handle, and surround. Have they not ever driven an auto when the sun is shining?! Sun beating down on chrome = blinding glare.

And it gets HOT AS HECK and will burn skin.

Originally Posted By: kkreit01
Nice review.

Agreed 100%. I like my wife's Fusion a lot, but the chrome on the radio & climate control knobs, and on the shifter, is constantly blinding me. I keep a baseball cap in the car to throw over the shifter on sunny days but if it's coming off the knobs all I can do is squint.

I'll consider the Fusion when I kill my Kia, but if there's a chrome-free competitor out there, that will weight strongly against the Fusion.

Originally Posted By: Smcatub

Agreed 100%. I like my wife's Fusion a lot, but the chrome on the radio & climate control knobs, and on the shifter, is constantly blinding me. I keep a baseball cap in the car to throw over the shifter on sunny days but if it's coming off the knobs all I can do is squint.

Calling all lawyers....

A few solutions are to paint, or cover the chrome. Here's a couple I've done:

Painted blinding chrome center of shift handle:

510D6E6F-9990-4E60-8E7A-DDC68F015C24_zpslprpgp3k.jpg

Covered blinding chrome surround with 3M DiNOC:

console.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back