Recent experience with reman calipers?

Any recent experience with powerstop, centric or raybestos reman calipers?
How long have they work for you say in the last 3 years?
Has any of the ones you installed lasted over 2-3 years and generally which brand has higher QC?

I have used Raybestos and even the dreaded Cardone brand. I never had any problems. The Cardone remans were installed over ten years ago and still work fine. I have no problems using reman calipers.

I have installed the red coated Powerstop calipers on a few cars now. No complaints. They use all new hardware and they work very well. I take the slide pins out and clean and re-grease before installing so I know it was done and they work as designed.

I’ve also used locally sourced remans from NAPA with no problem (I’m sure someone else had a horrific experience with NAPA parts so I’ll let them tell it to us themselves 😁).

Just choose a good brand for remans.. avoid the super cheap ones.

i always had luck with Napa professional series rebuilds. years got 3 rebuilt alternators from A+A all less than correct output first one from Napa "right on" BUT Napa was close to a $100 others were about $40!!!

thanks for posting this, I think I'm in need of rear calipers on my Mustang and there are no new calipers to be found anywhere. Been wondering about the quality of remans.

You have to avoid the calipers rebuilt by the vendor for the lowest cost. Note that this is not always the lowest selling price part. When the seller squeezes the vendors too hard, you get cores that should not have been rebuilt, using parts that should not have be reused.

when they retail a complex reman part, like a loaded caliper for 40, reman starter or alternator for 50, that is very little money for cleaning, new parts, good assembly and testing. Mark up by some retailers is much higher than others, and some squeeze more than others. Brand A squeeze's vendors too hard this month, brand B does it next moth. Makes it a crap shoot. Retailer reputation is about your only tool. I use Napa, and so far so good. They do cost a little more. When they burn me, and all vendors get greedy, I will change.

Rod

I've tried the brand new and I've tried the reman calipers. Due to some sort of design flaw on these trucks, they only last 2 years anyway on my F-350 before the pistons corrode and seize up.

I buy the cheapest ones for my Cherokee. They always seize up from all of the mud.

I have had a lot of luck with the NAPA Total Eclipse calipers. They are painted or powder coated black. They have been holding up real well.

Thanks everyone.
I now have issue with which caliper revision to get.

The only one that's local and in stock is Napa profromer line(1 yr warranty). It might be different up in Canada vs the names in US.
The product code SE2525C goes to NAPA Total Eclipse version on US website. The photo shows it's a Centric unit.
The code says 6017 which matches my current caliper. However photos can be deceiving.

The other one with lifetime warranty needs to be ordered in. NAPA Adaptive One
Photo is same as Nugeon brand and the code 6020 is a newer caliper they changed midyear in 2001 model year.

The other numbers AX60 and 28V15 are the same on both calipers.

The vehicle options this part fits:
  • Production Date: 01/1998-08/2001
The vehicle options this part fits:
  • Production Date: 08/2001-
My car is 08/2001 which is right at the splitting mark and has the 47750-48010 version.

What kind of car do you have? If you're lucky, Raybestos offers all-NEW calipers for your car.
No new caliper I can see from rockauto even if I pay for shipping and foregoing the core return.
Lexus wants $490 CAD to order a new one from US that takes 10 days.

I now realized there are 2 versions of the caliper.

I have found that many calipers reman or new have only enough lubricant (if any) for assembly. I pull the boot back and add additional lubricant to prevent premature sticking.
Never had one fail that I gave additional love!!
90cummins

As there are 2 versions of caliper for my model year, I really had even more slim picking and couldn't gamble ordering from rockauto for cheaper price.
I also wanted to fix it this weekend so got Napa Adaptive One(supposedly lifetime warranty), but when I opened box it's just total eclipse part number, painted black.

I couldn't use the bracket as the paint were thick enough that it causes pads to bind, also banjo bolt is 12mm instead of 14mm OE, so I reused the old one.

It was funny the rep that cashed me out insisted that the part needs to be installed by a certified mechanic, who needs to write the VIN, date, mileage, car model to be eligible for the warranty. I saw none of those written out in the warranty PDF online(saved a copy in case of debate).
It's as if Napa is saying they sell parts to consumers, but don't want them to DIY :rolleyes:

Again, why not send them to Goldline Brakes or PMB Performance? I’ve had excellent results.

Again, why not send them to Goldline Brakes or PMB Performance? I’ve had excellent results.

I'm in Canada and the car is required for work so there's no time to wait for rebuild. I don't think shipping cost will be cheap.

Put these Raybestos Element 3 on my Sequoia last month and they are already starting to rust. Hopefully just a cosmetic thing but in their description it states, Surface finish closely resembles OE. I thought OE has some coating on it to reduce rust.

Front brake calipers.jpg

Back