Recall notice from NHTSA - Cooper Tire

Status
Not open for further replies.
NHTSA Recall ID Number : 17T003

Synopsis : Cooper Tire & Rubber Co. (Cooper) is recalling certain Discover M+S Sport tires, sizes 235/75R15, 255/65R16, 215/70R16, 225/70R16, 235/70R16, 245/70R16, 265/70R16, 255/60R17, 225/65R17, 235/65R17, 265/65R17, 255/55R18, 235/60R18 and 255/50R19. These tires may be marked with the Alpine Symbol, but do not meet the traction requirements for snow tires. As such, these vehicles fail to comply with the requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) number 139, "New Pneumatic Radial Tires for Light Vehicles." The affected tires may not provide the expected traction or performance in snow conditions, increasing the risk of a crash. Cooper will notify owners, and dealers will replace all the affected tires with tires from a different brand line, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin February 24, 2017. Owners may contact Cooper customer service at 1-800-854-6288. Cooper's number for this recall is 166.

Last edited by a moderator:
What I find interesting about the recall is that the tires have the mountain/snowflake symbol and don't pass the test. There is nothing otherwise wrong with them. That is the only reason they are being recalled.

Was it Cooper who started the recall or somebody tested their tire and found that it does not pass the test?

I wonder if there is safe way of removing the symbol from the sidewall.

Krzys

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
What I find interesting about the recall is that the tires have the mountain/snowflake symbol and don't pass the test. There is nothing otherwise wrong with them. That is the only reason they are being recalled.

This is great. A symbol means something and there's the force of law behind it.

Quote " Cooper will notify owners, and dealers will replace all the affected tires with tires from a different brand line, free of charge."
Wonder how fast/slow notification will get to the users.
Be interesting what folks will get.

Originally Posted By: Errtt
Wonder how fast/slow notification will get to the users.
Be interesting what folks will get.

I wonder how many buyers filled out the registration cards when they bought the tires. I bet a very low number. People buy the tires and move on. Maybe if a manufacturer rebated was involved then Cooper may use that as info. Plus people sell cars, accidents, etc...I bet it's a low number.

recalling winter tires as winter is ending
lol.gif

These tires look like they have a very aggressive tread design I find it
hard to believe they wouldn't have the required snow traction.

Originally Posted By: Reggaemon
These tires look like they have a very aggressive tread design I find it
hard to believe they wouldn't have the required snow traction.

Design is only a part of it. Compound plays a large part too. Could be the compound packed it in below freezing or something silly like that. I've had that experience with a few sets of tires that get really slippery below 40*F or so. Not fun.

I have Discoverer M+S RTX. I'll have to check and see if they have the alpine symbol. I don't think they do. Besides a bit more road noise than was expected, these have been very good tires.

Some of the best snow tires don't look like tractor tires. It's the compounding that makes it work, and the small sipes.

Wonder if you can buy the tire as a used tire afterwards, with the snowflake symbol ground off.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
recalling winter tires as winter is ending
lol.gif

We live in hope it's ending.
We all know it's a cruel joke, right? Couple of weeks and I bet we get hit with 2' of snow. It's the way it's always gone.

Sure does feel good though.

IMPORTANT SAFETY RECALL

COOPER TIRE & RUBBER COMPANY
Findlay, Ohio 45840 419-423-1321

February 10, 2017

Dear Dealer:

This notice is sent to you in accordance with the requirements of the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act.

Cooper Tire & Rubber Company has decided that a non-compliance which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in all tires identified as follows:

Product Name
Size
DOT Serial Number
Brand
COOPER DISCOVERER M+S SPORT
235/75R15
AT 1T CLX 0110-3316
Cooper
255/65R16
AT 3X CLW 0110-3316
Cooper
215/70R16
AT DA CLW 0110-3316
Cooper
225/70R16
AT X5 CLW 0110-3316
Cooper
235/70R16
AT 4E CLW 0110-3316
Cooper
245/70R16
AT 9H CLW 0110-3316
Cooper
265/70R16
AT C2 CLW 0110-3316
Cooper
255/60R17
AT F6 CLW 0110-3316
Cooper
225/65R17
AT 2Y AEK 0110-3316
Cooper
235/65R17
AT 81 CLX 0110-3316
Cooper
265/65R17
AT 2H AEK 0110-3316
Cooper
255/55R18
AT 2T CLX 0110-3316
Cooper
235/60R18
AT 45 AEK 0110-3316
Cooper
255/50R19
AT LH AEK 0110-3316
Cooper

Cooper Tire & Rubber Company has determined that the subject tires do not comply with the requirements of 49 CFR 571.139. The subject tires are marked with the Alpine Symbol, but do not meet the traction requirements for snow tires pursuant to the standard. If placed into service, the subject tires may not provide the expected traction or performance in severe snow weather conditions and could potentially increase the risk of a crash.

Cooper Tire & Rubber Company is recalling all of the tires with the identification number(s) above. The impacted serial weeks are 0110 through 3316. Effective immediately, you or your dealers must not sell any of the tires listed and described above.

You should also comply with the following instructions regarding the return of new and used recall tires at no charge in accordance with such provisions.

PROCEDURE FOR RETURN AND CREDIT OF RECALLED TIRES

NEW TIRES:

All recalled new tires existing in your inventory, or in your sub‑dealers' inventories, should be returned immediately in one shipment, freight collect to the designated inspection point for your area as indicated on the attached map. To assure proper handling, these tires should be listed on the standard Manufacturer’s Tire Claim Form. In order to expedite the sorting and crediting process, please use a crayon and write the words, “New Recall” on the sidewall of the tire and on the Claim Form in the comments section.

Upon verification by Cooper Tire that the tires returned are within the recall group, we will issue credit to you based upon your last invoice price of the tires.

USED TIRES:

Cooper Tire’s registration records are being searched and consumers who have purchased tires with the subject identification number(s) are being notified of the RECALL. Attached for your information is a copy of the notification being sent to such consumers. Tires removed from consumer vehicles as a result of this RECALL should be replaced with tires of like size and construction bearing identification numbers other than those listed above.

We have advised the consumer to return his recalled tire(s) and his letter to you. If your inspection verifies that the consumer has a tire(s) with the suspect identification number, the tire(s) should be replaced, mounted and balanced at no charge, if presented for remedy within sixty (60) days after (i) receipt of this letter or (ii) notice that a replacement tire(s) is available (if not available at the time of the inspection). It is expected that replacement tire(s) will be available at the time of inspection. However, if the tires are not available at the time of inspection, they will be available within twenty‑one (21) days. After expiration of the sixty (60) days, tires will be replaced under our normal adjustment policy.

We have advised the consumer that it will take approximately thirty (30) minutes each to replace the recalled tires. For any tires removed from consumer vehicles during such sixty (60) day period, Cooper Tire will authorize an allowance of $17.50 per tire to cover mounting and balancing.

“YOU ARE PROHIBITED BY FEDERAL LAW FROM SELLING NEW OR USED TIRES COVERED BY THIS NOTIFICATION.”

Tires removed from consumer vehicles must be listed on our standard Manufacturer’s Tire Claim Form. The Claim Form must be properly completed and signed by the consumer and the consumer's copy of the recall letter attached.

For the purpose of the RECALL, the Claim Form must include RECALL tires only. The word "RECALL" must be printed directly across from the name and address on the claim form in the comments section. All tires should be identified in crayon with the Claim Form reference number per standard adjustment procedures. Also, please write the words, “Used Recall” on the sidewall of the tire.

Upon verification by Cooper Tire, credit will be issued to you on a no charge replacement basis if replaced by you and returned to Cooper on or before ninety (90) days after notice of this RECALL.

All Claim Forms for both "New Recall" and "Used Recall" tire(s) should be mailed to Cooper Tire & Rubber Company using the standard tire adjustment procedures. Please mail the claim forms one to two days before shipping the tires. Remember: DO NOT ship the Claim Forms with the tires.

You should return in one shipment all recalled new and used tires to the inspection point as indicated on the attached map. These tires should be classified as SCRAP and shipped as SCRAP RUBBER TIRES, freight collect. Freight collect privileges apply only within the prescribed time period. Any tires returned after the designated time will be handled under our regular tire adjustment procedures.

Cooper Tire requests that you advise it of those customers of yours, if any, who have purchased any of the tires described above for which registration forms have not previously been submitted so that such customers can be advised of the recall and the replacement of their recalled tires can be scheduled.

We certainly apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you. If you have any questions pertaining to the implementation of this RECALL or need assistance, please contact the Cooper Tire Consumer Relations Department at 800-854-6288

Sincerely,

William N. G. Geaman, Jr.
Manager, Consumer Quality Systems

Attachments:
Cooper Tire Consumer Letter
RIP Map

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back