Rebuilding front end - inner tie rods?

So long story short the '11 Jetta SW was diagnosed with a ripped CV boot on passenger side and indy wanted almost $400 to replace just the boot. The shocks/struts are beyond shot on this car so we deferred the boot replacement so we could price out a front end rebuild and new shocks and sway bushings in the rear. We will have the boot addressed with the front end rebuild vs paying $400 alone for that repair.

While pricing kits for the front most of them include replacing the tie rod arm that looks like just the arm and it is called "inner tie rod". How does a simple rod wear out and is there something I am missing? I was only looking at replacing the outer joint but seems the inner rod is a common replacement item to go with the joint. Am I missing something here or is this just a replace it all while you are in there type situations.

Also anything else I should address at the same time? Cast steel control arms are being replaced by aluminum arms from the Passat/CC (~4.5 lbs per front corner weight savings), new sway bar end-links and their related bushings to the subframe, new strut mounts and bearings, new ball joints, new tie rod ends and potentially new tie inner rod bars. New control arms will have poly bushings as noise/harshness not a big deal for us and longevity and handling are top priorities.

Its amazing how tired suspension can get after 10 years - the wagon has become a wallowing beast with the front and rear end not agreeing on what they are doing.

Pezzy, when it comes to overhaul on most front end suspensions, some shops will elect to replace all components at the same time. I think it mostly has to do with eliminating any issues when it comes to putting everything back into alignment. Don't be surprised after you have this work done, if the shop in question does a 4-wheel alignment and gives you bad news about the rear suspension too. That is because the front specs may now call into question replacements needed in the rear. Good Luck, that is fine car, and I never quite understood why VW did not sell more Sportwagens.

Good Luck, that is fine car, and I never quite understood why VW did not sell more Sportwagens.
Thank you for the info! Yes it is a great car but it still rides around on the 5th generation platform that was great back in 2003/2004 when it came out......it feels like a rattle trap pile of garbage after riding in my 7th gen Golf.

OP: You asked, "How does a simple rod wear out and is there something I am missing?"

What you're missing is the ball and socket joint on the end of the inner tie rod which screws into the steering rack. It wears out.
This is what I was thinking, too, but not having seen the part(s) in question I was figuring maybe VW uses a different system

On my 2000 (MK4) jetta with 190,000 miles I have not needed to replace the inner tie rod ends. Everything else has been replaced at least once, but the inner tie rod ends are still tight. The easiest way to check the inners is when replacing the outers. When they are loose from the steering knuckle its easy to see how tight the inners are. There is a lot less wear on the inner tie rod ends because there is a lot less movement.

HTH

Ahhh ok this makes sense now - guess I was not looking closely enough at the detailed parts and didn't see the joint on the inner part and thought it was just a spline/direct mount. Being only ~$30/each for an OE part might as well go ahead and do it in the grand scheme of the whole project. Thanks for all the info yall!

Screen Shot 2021-12-31 at 5.48.51 AM.jpg

I just replace them when I rebuild a front end. When you're that deep into a project, you replace any joint you touch. I'm not risking a loose joint, or an old joint when I do all that chit. Cheap insurance when your balls deep into labor.

Back