Reasonable price oil with good shearing resistance?

So after looking at my M1 0-40 OA results I do see it shearing down to a 30w oil…

Others suggest running Driven DI40 but at $15/qt, is there something else in the middle that’s a little more affordable yet performs better than M1 and can resist shearing down to a 30w oil?

Here in PHX with summers at 115F, I think it might be prudent to stick with a oil that’s not turning thinner than necessary.

Thoughts?

Generally speaking euro spec 40w oils, always start at the bottom end of the 40w viscosity range. It's not uncommon for M1 0w40 to drop to a heavy 30w and then return to the 40w as the miles accumulate. It's a 0w40 which usually means a good slug of VII's. Depending on your vehicle you could switch to 5w40 Rotella or TDT. IIRC that's fairly cheap if you want a 40w.

On an aside you don't need to worry about oil for PHX heat. That's the job of your cooling system and your engine runs a lot hotter than 115F.

Last edited:
This is for an Audi 2.0TFSI / EA888, so DI engine.

Just want to pick the right oil for a 4-5k OCI

So after looking at my M1 0-40 OA results I do see it shearing down to a 30w oil…

Others suggest running Driven DI40 but at $15/qt, is there something else in the middle that’s a little more affordable yet performs better than M1 and can resist shearing down to a 30w oil?
And the other thing is I’m going to guess you don’t know if a viscosity deviation is due to mechanical shear or fuel dilution. In this engine it’s most likely due to dilution which is a different concern for the oil as opposed to mechanical shear. And different mitigation.

The right oil is the one that carries the proper VW approval. Which one does your engine require?

Ok then which of the approved oils will shear the least then?

No fuel dilution in the sample.

First, check your owner's manual to see which approval the oil needs to meet. Then, start searching this forum for oils that have the approval.

Its a 0W40 loaded with VM. It's already a designed, marginal 40 grade. But it has a robust HTHS.
Don't focus on the KV100 and a 30 grade with HTHS above 3.2 should be adequate in a PCM
How are you using the vehicle?
Top Euro oils used to be Fuchs and Pentosin. Never ran them.

That OA was from blackstone.
So for all the 502 oils, there's so many to pick from...

For my EA888 2.0TFSI that is running Stage 1 tune, everything else stock, what would you guys suggest I run knowing I am not in a cold climate?

That OA was from blackstone.
So for all the 502 oils, there's so many to pick from...

For my EA888 2.0TFSI that is running Stage 1 tune, everything else stock, what would you guys suggest I run knowing I am not in a cold climate?
Blackstone doesn't properly measure fuel, so that's not a reliable indicator unfortunately.

Blackstone doesn't properly measure fuel, so that's not a reliable indicator unfortunately.
For a DI engine I would definitely like to monitor the level of fuel in my oil - one reason is common injector leakage. I dont want to wash my cylinder walls and plan to do a OA every other oil change.

What other services do a better job at OA and fuel measurement?

For a DI engine I would definitely like to monitor the level of fuel in my oil - one reason is common injector leakage. I dont want to wash my cylinder walls and plan to do a OA every other oil change.

Polaris/OAI use GC, which is the correct method. Easiest way to get those kits is to just buy them from the AMSOIL website.

Can you tell us exactly what the oil cap says? What year is this? It may require a low ash oil if it has a GPF in its cat.

your nose. its almost impossible not to smelll the gas right off the dip stick if you have a good nose and theres a lot of fuel dilution.

I see a lot of VW certs on M1 ESP 5w-30: https://www.mobil.com/en/lubricants/for-personal-vehicles/our-products/products/mobil-1-esp-5w-30/
Its got dexos2 also. and a long list of vw certs: VW 502 00 VW 503 00 VW 503 01 VW 505 00 VW 506 00

They make it in 0w-40 and its has the dexos2 and vw 5011 00

The 0w-30 has 2 vw certs 504 and 507. Its lacks and dex certs, but i wouldn't worry, they probably just didn't want to keep paying GM on every bottle. It has MB 229.51/52 and acea c3 and so that covers at least dex1 gen2

Back