Rear main sealer additive

Status
Not open for further replies.
So was reading a thread in a group on FB and a guy was talking about a leak. Another guy chimed in and suggested to add a teaspoon of brake fluid to swell the seals. This led me to think about High Mileage oils and seal stop additives. Looked and found Blue Devil and Bars Rear Main Seal stop. Curious if this stuff actually works including the brake fluid trick. Had never heard of such a thing. Does the stuff work similiar to how a high mileage oil is supposed to swell seals slightly as well? Like is it just the HM additive in a concentrated form or what?

I doubt brake fluid works. Brake fluid doesn't effect the Rubber like materials in the braking system.

I would never put brake fluid in with your motor oil. You are just asking for all kinds of trouble. Try a HM oil instead.

Next thing you know someone on FB will say that peanut butter in the oil will make your engine run smoother. Creamy style of course.

Liquimoly Motor Oil Saver #LM2020 with a high mileage like Valvoline Maxlife. I bet either Lubegard Biotech or Archoil 9100 with a high mileage oil will help. No to brake fluid.

What year, make and model of the vehicle? I wouldn't pour brake fluid into the crankcase because all modern vehicles have variable valve timing solenoids controlled by oil in the crankcase. Brake fluid might damage the vvti system and other parts. It wouldn't hurt if you tried a high mileage oil and maybe other brands of HM oil if one didn't work.

I hear that brakefluid rumour before too. I always thought you dabbed on a rag and applied to the external part like VCG or something. As with any decent oil leak product it will work better in a cleaner engine that is run to operating temperature prior to usage usually.

Originally Posted by Marco620
I bet either Lubegard Biotech or Archoil 9100 with a high mileage oil will help. No to brake fluid.

Yes to this. I have seen positive results from Lubegard and an HM oil ( I use M1 HM). I now use a small dose of the appropriate Lubegard product in all sealed lube systems - gearboxes and differentials, as well.

I had a rear main seal and a valve cover leak of one cup per week,Chevy dealer wanted $1,500 to fix.Put in an 8oz. bottle of Blue Devil rear main seal stop leak and it now leaks 2 drops per week.Called up the company as the product is guaranteed to stop all gasket, leaks , they refunded $16.00 that i paid Auto Zone.

Originally Posted by Chris142
Brake fluid will swell rubber parts slightly. Not as much as oil and probably won't swell neoprene seals that are in every engine built since 1970 or so.

That's exactly what I was going to say.... all these newer engines (since sometime in the early 80's?) use much different rubber compounds.

The ol' "brake fluid trick" worked on the kinds of rubber (maybe older recipe neoprene and butyl rubber) that got hard very early in the game - well before 100,000 miles and 10 years had past.

I recently pulled down a 5.0 from an Explorer (1998)

and it has Viton (maybe?) or Nitrile (likely) crankshaft seals -
- IN PERFECT CONDITION -
after 218,000 hot, hot San Antonio Texas miles.

Those are just really, really, really well made seals - - and I honestly don't think brake fluid would affect them at all.

Rubber-based seals = yes
Fluoro-elastomer based seals = no effect

I'd switch over to a HM oil when I was due for an oil change and skip the brake fluid idea.

Perhaps this could be a new video for the Project Farm guy on youtube (?) After all, he tried using honey in the crankcase...I don't think the mixed the honey with peanut butter (creamy, as PimTac suggested)!

Originally Posted by anndel
What year, make and model of the vehicle? I wouldn't pour brake fluid into the crankcase because all modern vehicles have variable valve timing solenoids controlled by oil in the crankcase. Brake fluid might damage the vvti system and other parts. It wouldn't hurt if you tried a high mileage oil and maybe other brands of HM oil if one didn't work.

Don't remember, think it was an older Big Block Chevy

This wasnt for me, just more of a question from curiosity. It is interesting to hear some guys with good results from the blue devil and other stuff. Ill have to keep them in Mind

Do sealers/conditioners work? Often yes, sometimes no. Depends on how bad the seals are. The sealers swell and condition (soften) the seals. This will help with dried out and shruken seals. Not for a tear or badly damaged seal.

My 2004 V6 Accord's rear mail seal was leaking (ever so slightly, but enough to notice when under the car doing oil change). I switched from Mobil1 5w20 to Mobil1 5W30 High Mileage. It took me another two oil changes of HM and 8000 MIles, to notice that the oil leak stopped. I used to spray brake cleaner and wipe down the oil pan after changing the oil. On my 3rd oil change, everything was dry and has remained dry since then. It's been 2 years and I am still using HM oil. My car has about 145k miles on it.

Btw, The dealer wanted 2800 to replace it.

Originally Posted by Marco620
Liquimoly Motor Oil Saver #LM2020 with a high mileage like Valvoline Maxlife. I bet either Lubegard Biotech or Archoil 9100 with a high mileage oil will help. No to brake fluid.

+1 to the LiquiMoly Oil Saver/HM oil combination. After the initial dose of LiquiMoly you may find the dosage can be halved or quartered in subsequent oil changes.

The brake fluid is an old car dealer trick, like smokeless motor oil removing the service engine and air bag lights, and fake air bag covers. I would not recommend it at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back