Rear main seal stop leak.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Marco620
I had a hair line leak in my 2012 Hyundai Accent from PU 5w20 so I added a total of 200ml mos2 instead of 100ml and 30ml of LM Motor Oil Saver. It has almost gone away. Will continue this until oci from which I will go back to PP/PU 5w30 from now on with the mos2/motor oil saver added. It only looses about a teaspoon give or take but still.

I found MoS2 to work quite well with small leaks, from the RMS specifically. I suggested it to two friends with leaks from their RMS within the past 6 months or so. Both reported back their leaks stopped. Go figure.
21.gif
Certainly not what the product was intended for but it worked as a stop leak as an added benefit.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
Just an update. Surprisingly, the Auto-RX has apparently stopped the RMS leak after about 1000 miles. I can't verify the leak completely stopped but my co worker said it is no longer dripping onto the garage floor.

This makes me feel a bit disappointed in Kendall GT1 as it is also the oil I use in my Escape.

I can see where it may help with a minor seal leak if the seal wasn't damaged. It is supposedly an ester based product.
This leads to another question. would a HM oil have done the same thing at a much lower price? You get an oil change in the price also.

Would another additive containing esters work at less than half the price?

Originally Posted By: Trav
Just an update. Surprisingly, the Auto-RX has apparently stopped the RMS leak after about 1000 miles. I can't verify the leak completely stopped but my co worker said it is no longer dripping onto the garage floor.

This makes me feel a bit disappointed in Kendall GT1 as it is also the oil I use in my Escape.

I can see where it may help with a minor seal leak if the seal wasn't damaged. It is supposedly an ester based product.
This leads to another question. would a HM oil have done the same thing at a much lower price? You get an oil change in the price also.

HM oils usually do the trick as long as the seal is intact. I'd go that route if I didn't feeling yanking things apart to change the seal. -RD

The cost for him was free. That is MUCH cheaper than an oil change using HM oils.

Glad it worked. [censored] for FREE I'd give it a go. Otherwise high mile oil is cheaper for me and everyone else trying to stop a leak.
wink.gif

The cost for him was free. That is MUCH cheaper than an oil change using HM oils.

True but it wouldn't be for someone else reading this thread looking to stop a leak using this product.

True but it wouldn't be for someone else reading this thread looking to stop a leak using this product.

Free is for me. Otherwise a HM oil, or fix the thing and be done with it if I plan on keeping the car. I'm not a fan or marking my territory with oil stains everywhere I park. Especially for what my new driveway cost me.

I'd give a HM oil a shot but keep it on a short leash of about 3000 miles and watch where I park. If it didn't work I'd say nothing is going to work and mechanical work is needed.-RD

Just found out my RMS has a hair of a leak and changed oil today away from PU 5w20 to 2 qts PP 5w30, .7 qts PU 10w30, 300ml of LM motor oil saver and 60ml of LM Mos2. I had already added 30ml of motor oil saver a few days back and it did almost fix it so we shall see how this works. It was such a small seep Quicklane said to just watch it and go from there. I will use all my PUP 5w30 and QSUD 5w30 and migrate to either Valvoline Maxlife Full Syn or M1 HM Full Syn. If anyone has advice or preference on VMS or M1HM plz let me know. Thank You

Update - I checked my oil level on dipstick and its was on the full mark still minus a hair. Cheerful I was to say the very least. Wiped stick clean, re-wet with some LM Mos2 and closed the hatch. Seems LM Motor Oil Saver is a proven product. Just crossed 86,000 miles tonight. Cant wait till 105,000 where they change plugs, coolant, brake fluid, tranny fluid and pull motor open to inspect valves and timing chain. I will most likely leave a camera for the svc mgr to take pics of how clean it will be. Since 8900 miles its diet is off PP / PU with one oci of redline oil. Should be ready by mid january.

@Marco620

As long as you are having consumption issues I'd keep adding the motor oil saver to your oil changes until you can get ahead on the leaks or convert to a HM. It'd be a shame to go through extra oil needlessly, especially a high quality one like PUP.

As to the HM oil conversion you don't have to be strict with one or the other, just pick one that is available at the better price, IMO. However, if you are noticing things are still leaky/consumption is increased then swap to the other for a couple OCIs/1 year with their seal conditioners vs the other etc.

I've had good success with MaxLife's HM oils though. Both the synblend and full synthetic.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Boss302fan
You can add motor oil saver to an HM oil like PYB HM or Maxlife... This should be fine, right?

Yep.

Thanks. I was think of adding a half can of the oil saver to PYB HM to stop a slow leak in my sons 3.8 V6.

Use the whole can. No point in half measures. Once the leak stops half a can will work to maintain the leak stoppage.
In my experience with the stuff anyways.........

Clevy is right. I just had another oil change of pennzoil platinum/ultra mix with LM motor oil saver 300ml and LM Mos2 100ml with 2 qts pp 5w30 and 3/4 qt PU 5w30 and my tech said no further leaking was seen. I am sold on this product and have full confidence. Will use up all my pennzoil syn, move to qsud 5w30 till out and then run valvoline maxlife full syn with 100ml of both motor oil saver and 100ml of Mos2. Currently at 89000. On another note; its nhl hockey season so Go Habs Go!

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Thanks. I was think of adding a half can of the oil saver to PYB HM to stop a slow leak in my sons 3.8 V6.

Use the whole can. No point in half measures. Once the leak stops half a can will work to maintain the leak stoppage.
In my experience with the stuff anyways.........

Sounds good. Thanks.

Update: My coworker's oil drips came back a bit at around the 1500mile mark on this OCI. Then by 2200 miles it was completely gone.

Lucky for me, I guess, that I know this worked for him. My Escape just started RMS seeping too. Nothing terrible. One drop every few days on the floor. I don't think Kendall keeps the engine as clean as I hoped. There is some dark buildup on the porous/rough surface metal just under the fill cap. I'll run my last bottle of Auto-RX (old formula) and hope it works as well for me.

Then I have a bunch of free oil (trop artic 5w30) to use up. I'll probably dump some gumout HM oil treatment in it for the fun of it.

I've used Blue Devil on several cars over the years where the person didn't want to pay to fix the rear main. It worked on all but the major leaks. But even on the bad onnes it slowed things down more than I thought it would.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back