rear brake rotor burnt!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all, so long story short I installed new rear rotors and rear pads on my 09 civic and ended up installing them wrong.

I did not line up the brake caliper piston with the raised dot that suppose to fit in that slot.

This ended up with my pulling into my garage after driving 8 miles "bedding" the new brakes in. About 15 hard stops per the instructions.

I looked and noticed my left rotor has turned blueish from overheating from the pads pushing on the rotor the whole time.. so I reinstalled everything correctly and it is fine now.

But mu question is do I need to buy another new rotor and new pads or will I be okay? The blue wore off after driving around 20ish miles.

This is a pic of the rotor after overheating.

http://m.imgur.com/G77AiHa

Last edited:
Just leave it for now and keep an eye on it. Chances are you'll be just fine.

Don't do any more work on any car until you watch some of the very many YouTube videos that will be available for any servicing you wish to perform.

yeah I watched a video afterwards and that's when I found out that I was supposed to put that little knob in the caliper pistonI just don't want to have the rotor shatter or anythingI plan on taking this car to the track in a week

especially since its the rear I would not worry - probably less than 25% of the braking action is handled by the rear brakes

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
especially since its the rear I would not worry - probably less than 25% of the braking action is handled by the rear brakes

True, however it seems like my rears are engaging a lot more since I got new pads. Maybe I neeed to bleed my fronts some more ?

If it's not feeling messed up via vibration or chattering or anything it'll be fine. I seriously doubt you'll have to worry about shattering. If worried taken it off take it to a part store and have it turned and reinstall.

Originally Posted By: Kevinmcc2
it seems like my rears are engaging a lot more since I got new pads

It's possible there is rust on the pistons; this is common on Hondas driven in areas that get snow. Rust will cause the pads to drag.

You need to have a pro look at your brakes.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Replace the rotor - you may have hard spots from that amount of overheating.

He can wait to see if the hard spots cause vibration and replace it at that time. And you never know; it might end up being just fine.

That's the color all of my rotors turned after doing the Stoptech break-in procedure. Haven't had failure of any one of them yet, and all are more than 40K miles. Wouldn't worry. Just drive.

I have had red hot rotors at track events that were fine when cooled off.

Heat itself doesn't usually harm them. UNEVEN heating can, but this doesn't seem like that is the case.

You may have mistaken pad material transfer for damage. It is a normal consequence of the pad bedding procedure and indeed will wear off quickly in normal driving.

You may wish to note that many cars do not have a lot of reserve braking capacity and hence do not require so much effort on the bedding procedure. Probably 5 or 6 stops would have been enough. Generally speaking, once the pads smoke a bit you are there...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back