Rear brake pad retaining clips

2015 Toyota Camry SE.
I bought Import Direct rear brakes from O'Reilly's. The package came with 8 clips which looked identical. I thought at first they just include 4 extra. It turns out there are very subtle differences (four have a tiny tab at the end, and four don't. There may also be a very slight difference in dimensions where the little "T" looking thing bends up.) I looked up brake hardware for my vehicle and they all have the little tab. The ones that were put on do not have the tab. Is this a big deal? The brakes are for Toyota Camry, Rav 4 and certain Lexus models. Is it possible that even though different models come with slightly different clips, they're essentially the same? Car brakes fine, no noise. Here's the link for what I bought. Zoom in on the pic and tell me what you think.
https://www.oreillyauto.com/...5-toyota-camry?pos=4

Screenshot_20240514-114405.jpg

Many Toyota/Lexus rear calipers use the pad shape, but the mounting hardware varies. For SKU # consolidation reasons, they include both styles in the box. It is user responsibility to use the correct style.

Many Toyota/Lexus rear calipers use the pad shape, but the mounting hardware varies. For SKU # consolidation reasons, they include both styles in the box. It is user responsibility to use the correct style.
Right, but judging from the picture, do you think there's a big enough difference for me to swap them out? The two styles are almost indistinguishable but I don't know how tight tolerances are on stuff like this. There's no noise and the braking seems fine but I'll definitely change them out if the subtle differences will cause problems.

Last edited:
I just went to O'Reilly's and had them pull a box down and yeah, the "T" looking part that's raised on the one with the tab is a tiny bit wider than the other one. Wondering if a couple mm will make a difference.

They have to properly fit in and over mating surfaces on carrier bracket, if you discarded old ones then you'd have to try both to see which one is perfect fit. It's not just Toyota, other car brands too.

I just experienced the same issue with my nephew's RAV4. There were 8 clips and one type would snap into the caliper bracket and the other wouldn't. Neither type supplied with the pads was identical to the ones that were on the car already. You just have to trial fit them to see which is the right type.

I believe the "T" just keeps it from shifting within the bracket and aids location upon initial installation.

I'm guessing you're fine but if you have to know you'll need to compare to the old clips or pull a caliper and see if the other style more positively "clips in" to the bracket.

I hate it when they do this. I just did rear brakes on a '12 Ram and the clips appear identical but have a slight difference you can only really notice if you turn the bracket over on the bench and look at the "inside." In this case one had been previously installed incorrectly and it was working fine (shrug)

I believe the "T" just keeps it from shifting within the bracket and aids location upon initial installation.

I'm guessing you're fine but if you have to know you'll need to compare to the old clips or pull a caliper and see if the other style more positively "clips in" to the bracket.

I hate it when they do this. I just did rear brakes on a '12 Ram and the clips appear identical but have a slight difference you can only really notice if you turn the bracket over on the bench and look at the "inside." In this case one had been previously installed incorrectly and it was working fine (shrug)
I went through the trash and the old clips aren't exactly like either one. Go figure. The ones I put in there held in place (they didn't fall out or anything). I guess if it bugs me enough, I can take your advice and pull the wheel and caliper off and try both the see which clip feels better. *Sigh*
I just don't want to do stuff I don't have to. You know how it is...We get busy with other stuff. Trying not to be ocd about it, just bugs me.

I went through the trash and the old clips aren't exactly like either one. Go figure. The ones I put in there held in place (they didn't fall out or anything). I guess if it bugs me enough, I can take your advice and pull the wheel and caliper off and try both the see which clip feels better. *Sigh*
I just don't want to do stuff I don't have to. You know how it is...We get busy with other stuff. Trying not to be ocd about it, just bugs me.
This is the exact reason why I reuse the factory hardware clips unless they absolutely require replacement.

In the past, I've just used scotchbrite and brake cleaner to recondition the old clips when new ones weren't supplied or there was an issue the new clips. Usually, they're stainless and are just dirty.

Reactions: D60
Since your friend that did this job appears to just slap things together, there is little chance that he paid attention how easily or difficult the pads fit in the brackets with the new hardware.

Ultimately it’s how the pads fit and slide inside the bracket that matters. If they get stuck or are difficult to fit in, they will eventually bind, wear unevenly and prematurely, even though they work fine now.
Only way to find out is to disassemble and fit them again.

Back