Really getting what your paying for??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I took my dmax for the first free oil change at gm dealer and the receipt stated what oil was used

fyi u cannot watch ur car being worked on at stealership. they won't let u go bak there

My Hyundai dealership has an all glass section in the waiting room that lets you watch from the comfort of a leather couch with a free cup of coffee. I have only been twice for some regular maintenance stuff when I first bought the truck.

Originally Posted By: ruralcarrier
I don't want to burst your bubble but the 3.5 is not a Honda/Acura engine. The engine is built by Honda but to different specifcations for Saturn. Even Honda and Acura engines are built to different specs as fuel requirements are not the same.

I am not saying the Saturn engine (built by Honda) is bad, I just think maybe the salesperson fed you a little too much sales pitch. I have heard it myself from a Saturn dealer, same goes for some of the transmissions, built by Honda but to different specs.

Based on what it sounds like the dealer told you about the vehicle, I would have a hard time trusting them on the oil.

So---if the engine is built by Honda, that would make it a......Honda engine.

Originally Posted By: stockrex
I took my dmax for the first free oil change at gm dealer and the receipt stated what oil was used

fyi u cannot watch ur car being worked on at stealership. they won't let u go bak there

That depends on the stealership.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
The car will get totaled or stolen before you will ever realize any benefit from syn oil . Todays dino oils aren't like the 1960s oil.

Agree,

Given the fact that she's going to the dealer, then she's servicing the car regularly, so any API specced dino oil will last "stealership" maintenance intervals.

So what if the oil comes in a big drum? Take a gold star for cutting down a minor bit of bottling waste and that you haven't succumbed to colorful bottles or stickers and labels.

If anything, it might be "fresher" oil as compared to a bottle that has been gathering dust for some time, especialy since most the dealership service department are high volume.

As an analogy does a keg of cheap budweiser really taste that different to you then a can? Especially given the fact that it was brewed in a giant metal container at the brewery.

Originally Posted By: Superbuick96
My wife takes her Saturn Vue (came with the 3.5 Acura/Honda engine) to the dealer for oil changes. I told her I could do an fully syn oil change for less then what the dealer charges for they're dino bulk drum oil. But she still insists on the dealer changing it. I told her to go with Fully Syn because she with out a doubt will be keeping the Vue forever. So my question is is there a easy way I could tell if the dealer is really using Syn oil, and not charging for syn, and filling it up with dino?

There seems to be a gap in your question.
Even if the dealer charges you an arm and a leg for the oil change, if they don't indicate they are using synthetic oil, why would you assume they are using synthetic oil in the first place?

Most of the time, when a dealer IS using synthetic oil, they'll want to advertise that fact. The exception might be if synthetic is required by their entire product line so it should be synthetic without saying.

When you go to the movie theaters and they charge you $9 for a hot dog, do you assume it's some kind of hand-crafted special hot dog just because it costs more?

Last edited:
I suppose bringing your own oil to a shop to and watch them pour it is an option. But also kind of insulting to the tech.

The changes on the Vue are her call cause she paid for it 100%, she buys her cars I buy mine. Had we both paid for it she'd be in the kitchen making me dinner while I drained and filled the Mobil 1. 8-D

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
Put a Castrol or Pennzoil sticker on the windshield glass and tell her you took the vehicle for an oil change.
I thought about doing that
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: ruralcarrier
I don't want to burst your bubble but the 3.5 is not a Honda/Acura engine. The engine is built by Honda but to different specifcations for Saturn. Even Honda and Acura engines are built to different specs as fuel requirements are not the same.

I am not saying the Saturn engine (built by Honda) is bad, I just think maybe the salesperson fed you a little too much sales pitch. I have heard it myself from a Saturn dealer, same goes for some of the transmissions, built by Honda but to different specs.

Based on what it sounds like the dealer told you about the vehicle, I would have a hard time trusting them on the oil.

The J35A3 was also used by General Motors in the 2004-2007 Saturn Vue, though it utilized the cast-iron crankshaft from the J35A4 rather than the forged-steel version of the J35A3. GM refers to it as the L66.

J35A3
2001 - 2002 Acura MDX
2005 - 2008 Acura RL
2004 - 2007 Saturn Vue L66

GM L66 engine

3.5 L L66 V6 in a 2006 Saturn Vue

The L66 is an OEM V6 engine built by Honda but sold by General Motors in the Saturn Vue SUV. The L66 was acquired as part of a swap with Honda, who received the Circle L 1.7 L Diesel straight-4 for use in European Civics.

It is a 3.5 L (3471 cc) SOHC V6 with VTEC Variable Valve Timing and is made by Honda in Anna, Ohio. The same engine, the J35A3 is used in Honda's Acura MDX SUV. It is built at Honda's Anna, Ohio engine plant. Transmission built in Honda's plant in Russells Point.

It is interesting to note that the parts content sticker on the 3.5 L Vue states the country of origin to be Japan for both the engine and transmission.

In the Vue, the engine produces 250 hp (186 kW) and 242 ft·lbf (328 N·m)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back