Mazda CX5 Oil Change Synthetic Blend

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife took her CX5 (2015, 2.5L, Skyactiv) into Valvoline for an oil change. I brought it to the dealer for its first oil change with Full-Syn. This is her first oil change in this car since her Ford Escape where she always did Syn-Blend...so Syn-Blend is what she got.

Manual states Full-Syn is Recommended (not required)...What is required is 0W20 (API - ILSAC GF-5). Valvolines MaxLife 0W20 Syn-Blend meets those GF-5 specifications.... http://content.valvoline.com/pdf/maxlife.pdf

Based on that info I'm guessing I am ok, but wanted to get the opinions of others much more knowledgeable than me. Any major issues with her running it with the blend in for 3K miles and then switching back to Full-Syn? Or should I bring it back and get a new change with Full-Syn right away?

Thanks in advance.

You'll be fine. It meets specs and MaxLife or Durablend (they use MaxLife here as the SB) are good oil.

No issues. I've never known Valvoline to make indecent oil.
Question is, does Valv MaxL 0w-20 meet higher standards (test specs) than just SN GF-5?? Yes, it does, it passes all the dexos1 tests on top. That means less wear, anti-foaming, less piston deposits, etc. than merely most SN GF-5 in existence.

Last edited:
Thats what I figured, just wanted to get 2nd opinions...Thanks.

If anyone disagrees for some reason please speak up.

I'm wondering if the quick lube place substitutes 5w20 for 0w20?...that's why I like to change my own oil.
Even if they did use Valvoline 5w20 Durablend you'll be fine...

Originally Posted By: dave123
I would wonder more what filter they used

Valvoline VO-106 Spin On Filter

Originally Posted By: mazda99

I've personally never liked el-cheapo oil filters like that, with paper elements, nitrile ADBV, questionable flimsy internal construction, made to minimum standards hidden inside a metal can.

Should be OK though. Fram Ultra for DIYers is best though.

Originally Posted By: lubricatosaurus

I've personally never liked el-cheapo oil filters like that, with paper elements, nitrile ADBV, questionable flimsy internal construction, made to minimum standards hidden inside a metal can.

Valvoline oil filters are Purolator Classics if I'm not mistaken.

Originally Posted By: Branson304

Valvoline oil filters are Purolator Classics if I'm not mistaken.

Thats what I read also...what is the quality of the Purolator Classic?

No.

For a Mazda SkyActiv engine, the best is going to actually be the OEM Mazda oil filter.

Last time I checked, aftermarket oil filters do not have the higher pressure relief springs inside of them.

There even was a Mazda TSB that was reminding the dealers to only use the SkyActiv rated filters on the SkyActiv engines:

serie...eries-ii-r3-jpg

I only install a Mazda OEM filter in my CX-5.

BC.

Just got an oil change on my 2015 2.5L CX-5 and forgot to specify fully synthetic so they gave me the 0W-20 Valvoline blend.

They told me it is good for 3000 miles.

But if it meets the Mazda oil requirements why not 7500 miles?

Is there anything that would say which one is correct?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back