Really getting what your paying for??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Superbuick96

Site Donor 2023
My wife takes her Saturn Vue (came with the 3.5 Acura/Honda engine) to the dealer for oil changes. I told her I could do an fully syn oil change for less then what the dealer charges for they're dino bulk drum oil. But she still insists on the dealer changing it. I told her to go with Fully Syn because she with out a doubt will be keeping the Vue forever. So my question is is there a easy way I could tell if the dealer is really using Syn oil, and not charging for syn, and filling it up with dino?

Nope....although I'd like to think that most folks are honest enough to give you what you pay for.

What oil does the dealership use?

Originally Posted By: GMFan
Nope....although I'd like to think that most folks are honest enough to give you what you pay for.

What oil does the dealership use?

I been meanng to call and ask, I will soon. Hopefully they tell me they use a reputable brand. Ive read posts on this forum where someone knows of dealerships, and garages that use whatever oil is the the cheapest. Maybe cheap no name dino oil that sits in large bulk drums is as good as anything else, but its not something I would want running through my engines.

Give her the oil in a jug, and come back with the empty.
At WallyMart, they actually go to the shelf for your choice of synthetic, and you can watch them pour it in from behind the little fence they have.

I don't want to burst your bubble but the 3.5 is not a Honda/Acura engine. The engine is built by Honda but to different specifcations for Saturn. Even Honda and Acura engines are built to different specs as fuel requirements are not the same.

I am not saying the Saturn engine (built by Honda) is bad, I just think maybe the salesperson fed you a little too much sales pitch. I have heard it myself from a Saturn dealer, same goes for some of the transmissions, built by Honda but to different specs.

Based on what it sounds like the dealer told you about the vehicle, I would have a hard time trusting them on the oil.

Originally Posted By: Superbuick96
My wife takes her Saturn Vue (came with the 3.5 Acura/Honda engine) to the dealer for oil changes. I told her I could do an fully syn oil change for less then what the dealer charges for they're dino bulk drum oil. But she still insists on the dealer changing it. I told her to go with Fully Syn because she with out a doubt will be keeping the Vue forever. So my question is is there a easy way I could tell if the dealer is really using Syn oil, and not charging for syn, and filling it up with dino?
Buy the oil and have them change it along with one of their OEM filters. They will just charge you the labor and then you will know the oil got put in if she comes back with the empty. Plus you will be able to pick whats in the engine!
20.gif

The car will get totaled or stolen before you will ever realize any benefit from syn oil . Todays dino oils aren't like the 1960s oil.

The J35A3 was also used by General Motors in the 2004-2007 Saturn Vue, though it utilized the cast-iron crankshaft from the J35A4 rather than the forged-steel version of the J35A3. GM refers to it as the L66.

J35A3
2001 - 2002 Acura MDX
2005 - 2008 Acura RL
2004 - 2007 Saturn Vue L66

GM L66 engine

3.5 L L66 V6 in a 2006 Saturn Vue

The L66 is an OEM V6 engine built by Honda but sold by General Motors in the Saturn Vue SUV. The L66 was acquired as part of a swap with Honda, who received the Circle L 1.7 L Diesel straight-4 for use in European Civics.

It is a 3.5 L (3471 cc) SOHC V6 with VTEC Variable Valve Timing and is made by Honda in Anna, Ohio. The same engine, the J35A3 is used in Honda's Acura MDX SUV. It is built at Honda's Anna, Ohio engine plant. Transmission built in Honda's plant in Russells Point.

It is interesting to note that the parts content sticker on the 3.5 L Vue states the country of origin to be Japan for both the engine and transmission.

In the Vue, the engine produces 250 hp (186 kW) and 242 ft·lbf (328 N·m)

man, I could not put up with that. I would not allow my wife to take any vehicle that I own or she owns to the stealership for oil changes. Do you guys have separte bank accounts too?? Man Up!

If you had to, you could change the oil on an early saturday morning while she was asleep or something. Put a Castrol or Pennzoil sticker on the windshield glass and tell her you took the vehicle for an oil change.
grin2.gif

I know of multiple GM dealerships that use nothing but Pennzoil and Fram filters. They charge a good penny just for something that coulda been done at walmart or at home for cheap.

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
Put a Castrol or Pennzoil sticker on the windshield glass and tell her you took the vehicle for an oil change.
grin2.gif

That`s awesome!
11.gif

Put a Castrol or Pennzoil sticker on the windshield glass and tell her you took the vehicle for an oil change.
grin2.gif

The Valvoline jugs you can buy at Walmart have the oil change reminder stickers on them
wink.gif

man, I could not put up with that. I would not allow my wife to take any vehicle that I own or she owns to the stealership for oil changes. Do you guys have separte bank accounts too?? Man Up!

If you had to, you could change the oil on an early saturday morning while she was asleep or something. Put a Castrol or Pennzoil sticker on the windshield glass and tell her you took the vehicle for an oil change.
grin2.gif

Good idea........why does she not trust her loving Husband? I would buy it like Stevie mentioned, then watch as they pour it in. I would not trust some people.

GM has an owner's site that you can go to in order to electronically document all the oil changes. That's what I use. It is based on the Yahoo! platform that has its limitations, but overall it is pretty slick.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
The car will get totaled or stolen before you will ever realize any benefit from syn oil . Todays dino oils aren't like the 1960s oil.

Hey what are the numbers for next week's Mega Millions ?

I would personally check with the Service Manager to see what oil they are using. I've had a lot rubbish come my way from asking the "advisors" at reception, and you'd be lucky to find one who actually knows more than what they are led to memorise.

Would be cool if the GM Owner's website actually states the brand of the oil used though!
thumbsup2.gif

The simple solution to the problem is bring them the oil, and watch them pour it into the car. Any other way is leaving too much to chance. Many mechanics bring customers oil home. Asking for the empty bottles would help, but watching them pour the oil into the car is fool proof. JMO

AD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back