REAL bad weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just was laid off, last night, as a matter of fact. Boy this has NOT been a good last 6 months.. I filed for unemployment today.. Got 2 applications for work. I'm looking to leave this town in December, I HOPE. Nothing and I mean nothing has gone right for me here. I know.. I know.. life's not fair, so deal with it. I have lived in other places where I met honest hard working people, that were not lazy and try to cheat their way through life.. Here people, lie, steal, cheat, flat out don't do their jobs, are just cold hearted and plan rude, not to mention arrogant.
I have lived it other areas where people had to answer for their mistakes, would tell you well in advance if the store was going to close to let you prepare.
I just want to live around decent people again..
I want to start ACU in Abilene ASAP, it's where I wanted to go originally but then they lost the accreditation for PT, but have since regained it.
Dusty

I thought TX was really great and there was all sorts of job opportunity?

Not being rude or making a snide comment, that's what Ive heard, I guess incorrectly.

But sorry to hear of the situation. Its too bad. Just keep your chin up, be VERY frugal and watch your funds and debt load, and think hard about your every move.

Best of luck and let us know if we can help.

Be very wary of schools that lose accreditation. When I volunteered during undergrad, one of the CT technicians got his degree from a college that lost accreditation for a period and he had to be laid off from work because he was no longer qualified. He said going to a school with shaky accreditation is one of the worst choices he ever made.

Originally Posted By: cmf
Be very wary of schools that lose accreditation. When I volunteered during undergrad, one of the CT technicians got his degree from a college that lost accreditation for a period and he had to be laid off from work because he was no longer qualified. He said going to a school with shaky accreditation is one of the worst choices he ever made.

I think that is good advice. If youre in a field where these tales of woe are known by hiring folks, they may have doubt that will hurt you.

There are enough accredited schools out there for you to be OK.

OP: Have you done something like the Dave Ramsey Total Money Makeover? Id recommend it to get on a solid page with your situation.

Life is a journey, there a few snake pits along the way, but you will come out stronger on the other end. Don't project too far, take it one day at a time.

Good luck.

I hope things get better. It seems they can't get worse. I wouldn't worry about how others conduct their lives. If you conduct yours with integrity and dignity, you will be rewarded, though it may be in ways you will never know.

Dusty, you going for a Physical Therapist Doctorate? I am a lowly PTA but I hope you can get in school and get your PT degree. A PTA degree is an AS or AAS usually and you can make pretty good money too, without amassing so much debt in school. Not to mention the malpractice insurance when you start your career.

Good luck with everything

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: chubbs1
Dusty, you going for a Physical Therapist Doctorate? I am a lowly PTA but I hope you can get in school and get your PT degree. A PTA degree is an AS or AAS usually and you can make pretty good money too, without amassing so much debt in school. Not to mention the malpractice insurance when you start your career.

Good luck with everything

My wife is a DPT and has seen a phase-out of PTAs in a lot of her practice situations.

Not knocking your profession, just relaying what she mentioned to me recently. May be different by areas of specialty, etc. though...

hard to phase out PTA's that make approx half of what you need to pay a DPT schooled PT. Money is the bottom line after all.

You sound like you're not tied down to your neighborhood. The world's your oyster! Good luck.

I believe you when you say you're in a den of sharks and liars. Time for a clean break. (?)
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Not being rude or making a snide comment, that's what Ive heard, I guess incorrectly.

I've heard that too but I'm skeptical; everyone I've known who has moved to Texas for work has come back discouraged. Either a) there's no work there or b) they don't give it to northerners. I don't know which is the case.

Originally Posted By: css9450
Originally Posted By: JHZR2

I've heard that too but I'm skeptical; everyone I've known who has moved to Texas for work has come back discouraged. Either a) there's no work there or b) they don't give it to northerners. I don't know which is the case.

There is too much hype. When you look at the statistics as far as the poverty rate or uninsured rate or education levels, the hype doesn't hold up.

One bright spot has been avoiding the real estate bubble because Texas has tighter regulations.

Keep your chin up!

Agreed, don't bother with a non-accredited/shaky accredited school. There are enough good schools out there to avoid the shaky ones. The professional program I graduated from was up for its 10 year re-accreditation when I was there. They breezed through.

A lot of places didn't care where my degree was from, just that I had passed, had good recommendations, and had all the necessary certifications/licensure.

Stay away from ACU in Abilene cause that school will be regarded as a 'degree mill' if it has trouble keeping its accreditation for Physical Therapy. Even if you graduate from there... many places will look down at that degree and will not want to hire you. A 4.0 GPA on your college transcript will be of no use when applying for a job.

Texas is like any state in America, people are fools to think that Texas has a booming economy with lots of jobs. I have seen on the web and many financial magazines that Texas is the place to be for all those unfilled well paying hot jobs in this bad economy.
smirk.gif

Whats the best way to do this? I liked ACU when I visited it, the people were great. I saw a school counciler at the request of a professor and it was not exactly helpful, drop your courses get on antidepressants..etc..
I just feel sort of tired, not depressed

Originally Posted By: DrDusty86

Do you feel great first thing in the morning if you get enough sleep? If so, you are/were tired. If not, you could be depressed.

See a doc. There are lots of undiagnosed cases of depression. See a cheap one and tell him that you barely thought it was worth the fifty bucks to try to get better. That alone screams it to me.

Originally Posted By: DrDusty86
Whats the best way to do this? I liked ACU when I visited it, the people were great. I saw a school counciler at the request of a professor and it was not exactly helpful, drop your courses get on antidepressants..etc..

Well Dusty, there seems to be some other issues on the table here. This is a cold world but sometimes we make it colder. If you went to see a counselor and they told you you needed meds. they must have either seen some despondence or they were real jerks. I've been through some tough stuff, if you want to talk about it I'm all ears.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back