READ PLEASE! 5w20 vs 5w30 engine life? opinions ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If a 30wt gives 30% longer engine life than 20wt, then 40wt should give another sizeable jump as well. Oh! Then 50wt, is even better yet and don't forget 60wt oils. If I keep going with this I might have to start using 75-90 gear lube for the ultimate engine lubrication!!

In my mind if:

Vehicle A running 5w-30 has a 300,000 mile potential
and 5w-20 actually does reduce engine life by 1/3
then Vehicle A engine life is reduced to 200,000.

Then this exercise is only relevant if you keep the car and the rest of the car doesn't fall apart around the engine. This scenario has been my experience. I've gotten rid of the cars/trucks I've owned for reasons other than the engine wearing out and failing.

Also, the definition of "worn out" will be different for all of us. All engines are "wearing out" from the time they come off the assembly line.

A vehicle decomposes sooner in the salt belt where benifits of thinner oil can be realized most so if I lived there I'd use 5w-20.

Go ahead and experiment with thicker oil. If drivability is not adversly affected it's ok to run it.

bigjl, that is such a rambling post. I can tell you are a London Cabbie - the verbal d just does not stop. And you talk out of both sides of you head. In one sentence you say engines would last longer on thick oil, the next sentence you say they would last fine on thin oil.

You make up numbers on mpg when you could refer to Fords actual spec for 5w20 where they actually state the fuel economy increase required. You're just another poster who relies on "JMOs" instead of facts.

Are you related to skyship?

Originally Posted By: FoxS
And Ford is the least competent of the domestic manufacturers. They took the biggest bailout. Proof that they are engineering boneheads.
What?!

I hope this is a prime example of internet sarcasm being misinterpreted by a Ford owner...(me).

Quote:
For most of the US and Canada 5W or 10W oils are fine,
however for warmer sections of the country 10W (or even 20W) may provide less wear at startup.

Thick oil logic at its finest.

Don't worry, somebody will be along shortly to explain this one.

Remember, because the original source advocates thicker oil, it is now infallible. The believers are getting together right now to agree their approach / attack strategy on this statement.

Quote:
however for warmer sections of the country 10W (or even 20W) may provide less wear at startup.

IMO, it goes BEYOND thick oil logic, straight into a lack of understanding.

I can't imagine my 86 year old grandmothers new Taurus lasting any less with the required 5W-20. She never requires that the engine produce any power at all. Pure water would provide sufficient lubrication for a lifetime of use!

However, I am another story. My friends call me "relentless". And, I explore the rev limiter of every car I've ever owned. I tow, I off road, I do track days, I drag race. My vehicles are well cared for, but used to the maximum.

I get far better UOA's here in South Florida with a heavier viscosity oil. Gee, I wonder why?

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Quote:

Don't be silly. The original poster is conferred with automatic infallible status because he pointed out why not to use thin oil.

Don't you remember the dealer who suggested going to 5w30 when there was consumption on 5w20? He was an instant expert because of that suggestion.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
I can't imagine my 86 year old grandmothers new Taurus lasting any less with the required 5W-20. She never requires that the engine produce any power at all. Pure water would provide sufficient lubrication for a lifetime of use!

However, I am another story. My friends call me "relentless". And, I explore the rev limiter of every car I've ever owned. I tow, I off road, I do track days, I drag race. My vehicles are well cared for, but used to the maximum.

I get far better UOA's here in South Florida with a heavier viscosity oil. Gee, I wonder why?

clap-animated-animation-clap-000340-large.gif
This is the best read so far. Real world conditions based oil weight decisions.

Originally Posted By: skyship
I thought GM was recommending 5/20's, in fact almost every car sold in the US seems to have 0 or 5/20 stamped in the manual by the CAFE bean counters??
I've been looking at Ford engines mostly, so perhaps some person could look up a few GM engines to see if they are recommending 30 grades or not.

Nope, GM continues to recommend 5w/30, although I gather 5w/20 may be required for a few of its new 2013 models.

I think if you really want to pick it apart you have to take clearances into account along with conditions. Does ford care if a truck hits 350k? No they want it to serve well till about 150k and then you get a new truck.

I have a friend that has an old dodge with a magnum 360. It has 350k miles and runs great. He switched over to gtx 20/50 when he saw the oil pressure gage flutter. Then at 325k miles when it dropped again he put a high volume oil pump in it. The point is he's a mechanic and knows clearances grow over time so he took action to make up the difference and it worked.

Another point that really gets me is when people have cars with 100+k and the sucker rattles like its full of marbles in the morning and they are afraid to try a thicker oil. Thats just ridiculous!

In closing
Will a 5/30 give longer engine life than a 5/20 in the same engine? I think yes.
Does it really matter? No because either way the car will rot away before the engine gives out if you take care of it.

I run a 5/30 in my truck for many reasons. Now im about to give a 5/40 a shot just to see how it works. If it goes well I will probably switch both of my cars to euro.

Originally Posted By: RiceCake
Who cares anymore? Do what you want and shut up about it.

01.gif

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Quote:

Don't be silly. The original poster is conferred with automatic infallible status because he pointed out why not to use thin oil.

Don't you remember the dealer who suggested going to 5w30 when there was consumption on 5w20? He was an instant expert because of that suggestion.

Well, when you put it that way. Oh, and I think we need stricter gun laws. Bwahahaha!
28.gif

Last edited:
bigjl, that is such a rambling post. I can tell you are a London Cabbie - the verbal d just does not stop. And you talk out of both sides of you head. In one sentence you say engines would last longer on thick oil, the next sentence you say they would last fine on thin oil.

You make up numbers on mpg when you could refer to Fords actual spec for 5w20 where they actually state the fuel economy increase required. You're just another poster who relies on "JMOs" instead of facts.

And if I chose to be as xenophobic as you appear to be I would understand perhaps what you are talking about.

I suggest you avoid strong coffee, red bull or whatever is your drink of choi e the. Re read my post.

It shall make more sense to you without caffeine.

Think about what the word "renter" means, what would that infer?

Think about it.

Maybe in your case get an adult to help.

My facts, and they are indeed facts as I own a Pathfinder and visit a Navara/Pathfinder forum regularly and the fuel consumption reported by forum members is indeed as I have posted.

Do you own a 2008 DPF equipped diesel Pathfinder auto?

No?

Oh dear. No point asking you then is there.

Have you driven V8 engined Ambulances day in day out for nearly a decade?

No?

Oops, I have.

And I did a lot of research into putting them on LPG to save my NHS Trust money, they didn't do it, most of the ex LAS V8's in private use as campers etc are run on LPG.

Have you ever filled up the 105 litre tank of a V8 Ambo at the start of a shift and had to fill it up again before the end?

No, I have, hundreds of times.

And were did I refer to Fords 5w20 oil spec?

Jaguar/Land Rover and Motul Specific yes. Ford, no.

Did you even read my post?

To end I will give you a small lesson in understanding.

If something lasts fine that is not the same as longer.

In other words I don't think running 5w20 would break the engine, I don't think it will last as LONG if you do so.

Why not pop over to Cuba as there are several ex London vehicles that were donated to the authorities there, actually I think they were given 50 of the older ones over the years.

Why not ask them if they use 5w20?

And no I am not a London Cabbie as you say.

Pay more attention, less caffeine and do try to be less opinionated, especially if you haven't read someone's post carefully.

Now, crack on, the adults are talking.

Try searching the forum next time, this topic is one that has been discussed way too many times and I'm sure most people here no longer give a [censored] about it and would rather have discussions where there isn't a tragic pile of political opinion and gross ignorance of basic engineering...

It seems like nothing closes off people's minds quite like the thick/thin oil discussions. This poster is saying if any topic has been discussed before it is closed, no matter what new information you might have or think you have.

In this case, the thin oil people say their pontiffs have spoken ex-cathedra on the subject and it is not open to further discussion.

On the other hand, I believe each person has the right to form their own beliefs and fully appreciate the ability to read and learn so I can decide what oil I want in my Honda Pilot this summer when I am towing the boat at 100+ degrees.

Thank you, OP.

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
And Ford is the least competent of the domestic manufacturers. They took the biggest bailout. Proof that they are engineering boneheads.
What?!

I hope this is a prime example of internet sarcasm being misinterpreted by a Ford owner...(me).

Or another example of the misguided opinion of FoxS?

Originally Posted By: Boatowner
Try searching the forum next time, this topic is one that has been discussed way too many times and I'm sure most people here no longer give a [censored] about it and would rather have discussions where there isn't a tragic pile of political opinion and gross ignorance of basic engineering...

It seems like nothing closes off people's minds quite like the thick/thin oil discussions. This poster is saying if any topic has been discussed before it is closed, no matter what new information you might have or think you have.

In this case, the thin oil people say their pontiffs have spoken ex-cathedra on the subject and it is not open to further discussion.

On the other hand, I believe each person has the right to form their own beliefs and fully appreciate the ability to read and learn so I can decide what oil I want in my Honda Pilot this summer when I am towing the boat at 100+ degrees.

Thank you, OP.

cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: bigjl

And if I chose to be as xenophobic as you appear to be I would understand perhaps what you are talking about.

I suggest you avoid strong coffee, red bull or whatever is your drink of choi e the. Re read my post.

It shall make more sense to you without caffeine.

Think about what the word "renter" means, what would that infer?

Think about it.

Maybe in your case get an adult to help.

My facts, and they are indeed facts as I own a Pathfinder and visit a Navara/Pathfinder forum regularly and the fuel consumption reported by forum members is indeed as I have posted.

Do you own a 2008 DPF equipped diesel Pathfinder auto?

No?

Oh dear. No point asking you then is there.

Have you driven V8 engined Ambulances day in day out for nearly a decade?

No?

Oops, I have.

And I did a lot of research into putting them on LPG to save my NHS Trust money, they didn't do it, most of the ex LAS V8's in private use as campers etc are run on LPG.

Have you ever filled up the 105 litre tank of a V8 Ambo at the start of a shift and had to fill it up again before the end?

No, I have, hundreds of times.

And were did I refer to Fords 5w20 oil spec?

Jaguar/Land Rover and Motul Specific yes. Ford, no.

Did you even read my post?

To end I will give you a small lesson in understanding.

If something lasts fine that is not the same as longer.

In other words I don't think running 5w20 would break the engine, I don't think it will last as LONG if you do so.

Why not pop over to Cuba as there are several ex London vehicles that were donated to the authorities there, actually I think they were given 50 of the older ones over the years.

Why not ask them if they use 5w20?

And no I am not a London Cabbie as you say.

Pay more attention, less caffeine and do try to be less opinionated, especially if you haven't read someone's post carefully.

Now, crack on, the adults are talking.

I know it's bad to egg on silly arguments, but BUUUUURN! Holla back, FoxS!

/sophomoric post
13.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back