Reached my limit. I need to buy a QuickJack

Space is always the issue. I would install my 2 post in the center back but I have a heavy 16 foot tall storage rack that I've filled up with good working yet expensive and useless crap like complete hydraulic power units and a new 3 phase electric motor to name a few that I know I won't really need and would live fine without. But I've spent too much time and money just to rid of them. Besides I have 6 lathes left and that's still too much. I only need 2 and at times the 3rd. The second mill has never been used once just tested. Bought these at auction because they were way too cheap to pass up then shoved them anywhere I could. So I need to stop hoarding machines and sell the rest. But I have a mental problem I think. I can't just leave empty space empty my mind just has to put something there. It drives me nuts, don't know if it's just me.
I would do it now if we were not getting new vehicle next year. Then we are back to a cramped three-car garage. I am pouring concrete now to create a shed base, so that will help. But, two small kids, bikes, balls, etc.

I have the 5K version. Got it through Costco, drop shipped to my house. Best deal around. Saw it for as low as $999 but paid a little more, in the November pre-holiday season.

Pros: We all know the pros.

Cons: The interface with its base and concrete is just painted steel. This scrubs down to metal in no time. I get salty water drips on my concrete which I fear will quickly corrode the quickjack. First couple winters I had this, I kept it up and away, but last winter I had a project car up on it most of the time. But for heavy snowstorms I'd move my driveable project to an outside spot so my good car could stay inside, ready to go.

My cement garage floor was profesionally done and has a very slight dome shaped crown. The middle of the quickjack gets most of the weight, unladen. Not enough to be dangerous, but manipulating them under the car to line up the jacking points is a chore involving physics. Speaking of, it's hard on one's arm muscles to push something this heavy fore-and-aft under the car when approaching from the side. You "could" put it in one spot then move the car back and forth as suitable. The rubber pucks also move 8-10 inches fore-and-aft in their "trays."

Despite following their instructions to a geeky "T" and using the thread sealer, I have a leak at a fitting after 3 years of very modest use.

Without a load on it, it takes a good while to lower the last little bit. This could be user negligence, as you're supposed to put air pressure in the hydraulic cylinders for "something". I checked them when new, and that was that. However if it bleeds down over time, it's something else that needs maintenance, and the whole point of these things is to make life easier.

Finally, remember, it's sold as a jack, not a lift. Despite its mechanical locks, they don't recommend you go under your car without supplemental jackstands. Their vagueness in marketing borders on unethical.

I would do it now if we were not getting new vehicle next year. Then we are back to a cramped three-car garage. I am pouring concrete now to create a shed base, so that will help. But, two small kids, bikes, balls, etc.
Yeah that's how it goes. I have 2 wide separate garages at home. Both face each other one facing the street and the other to the back yard but they got filled with junk that my wife filled up not me. No cars fit in them but not just because of the lack space in them. They're large garages both the civic and outlander sport would comfortably fit in each garage together but the architect didn't think it through as the space in between the two facing garages gives almost no room to maneuver a vehicle in or out easily. But the front door neighbors have a single 3 car garage that faces down the driveway so they can easily drive their large trucks in and out of which I'm envious of. But the upside is that almost no one can see the stuff in my garage from the street.

I have the 7K version with the extensions so I can also use it on larger vehicles like my truck. Works great, I love it. Wish I could have a full lift but the way my garage is I can't easily put one in without major issues. I got mine a couple years ago during a black friday sale Home Depot was having, ending up only paying around $1500 for it all.

Finally, remember, it's sold as a jack, not a lift. Despite its mechanical locks, they don't recommend you go under your car without supplemental jackstands. Their vagueness in marketing borders on unethical.
From the manual:
"⚠ WARNING You must always use auxiliary safety stands under the Vehicle while elevated on both QuickJack Frames."

Thank you, I did not know that. So you still have to purchase, store, lug around, and place jack stands.

From the manual:
"⚠ WARNING You must always use auxiliary safety stands under the Vehicle while elevated on both QuickJack Frames."

Thank you, I did not know that. So you still have to purchase, store, lug around, and place jack stands
I always double up. Quickjacks are still improvisation.

From the manual:

Thank you, I did not know that. So you still have to purchase, store, lug around, and place jack stands.
I've seen a d commented on that in the past. Seems legalise because typically the jack points are being used by the QJ itself.

D5CCBBEF-3D0E-42CF-9021-3C532E7E16F7.jpeg

Easy set up?
Yeah. I was too eager to set it up and start working on my manifold upgrade and O2 sensor replacement so I used seal tape instead of seal glue that they provide. Had a leak initially on one hose, so had to rethread. I was too careful not to put tape close to end of threads. Probably I will clean it up and use glue.
Make sure you purge air from hydraulic system. Buy 4 bottles of ATF. I overdid it, but didn’t want to chance it. So have some extra fluid. Also, make sure air cylinders are not leaking air. Get yourself Schrader key. One air cylinder was leaking so that jack didn’t want to go down as fast. Needed some time to find exact spot to lock valve.
Bottom line, don’t rush. Another bottom line, worth every penny!

I have the 5k-rated SLX versions. This holiday weekend, I installed a larger APR Intercooler (FMIC) on my '21 Audi SQ5 Sportback, which required removing the front clip, as well as the front tires, close-out panels, and the undershroud:

1656919514740.jpeg

1656919555866.jpeg

1656919585671.jpeg

For reference, the stock FMIC:
1656919777384.jpeg

I've also used the QuickJacks for brake work, tire rotations, exhaust system installations, rear differential R&R (to add LSD), etc.

I've definitely got my money's worth. For comparison, a local Audi shop quoted me $900 to install the APR IC.

I like my Quick jack too. Easy set up, car is up in 5 Minutes. And no more the risk that the car maybe slips from the Jack.
If you dont feel 100% safe while working with the Quick Jack, just add some Jack stands as additional saftey.

From the manual:
Seems like they should have a spot for locking pins.

Wasnt interested before, doubly so now. I already gripe about lack of jack points, so this makes it worse IMO.

So after a lot of calling around I was able to get a shop do change my oil. I left the box and filter in the front seat, wrote on the work order "Customer provided oil/filter" and they still screwed it up. Props to them pouring out perfectly good oil as the foreman had me watch them drain the old oil and add what I brought, but I'm over it. It's just not worth the hassle if I opt to not go to the dealership.
If ya don't mind me asking what shop screwed this all up?

No name and shame needed just a hint to who to look out for if folks ask for a BMW indy. I know a certain local chain took over a number of German independents and the reviews of the shops absorbed by them have been middling at best.

Seems like they should have a spot for locking pins.

Wasnt interested before, doubly so now. I already gripe about lack of jack points, so this makes it worse IMO.
They have a mechanical locking bar on each side. It's just that they use weasel words to skip out of taking full responsibility for humans under cars.

If ya don't mind me asking what shop screwed this all up?

No name and shame needed just a hint to who to look out for if folks ask for a BMW indy. I know a certain local chain took over a number of German independents and the reviews of the shops absorbed by them have been middling at best.
There are a handful of euro shops in the area so I don't think being non-specific would be helpful. It wasn't the fault of the technician but the service writer.

They have a mechanical locking bar on each side. It's just that they use weasel words to skip out of taking full responsibility for humans under cars.
Yes. And it looks pretty sturdy. Once they lock, you have to hold down button for 5sec to depressurize system, so it is basically pushing against lock bars. Not a hint of any movement.

I need the hiding under the table emoticon for what follows. We went a different path and bought a pair of Camry CPOs . My car crawling has dropped to near zero. :cool:

Back