Reached my limit. I need to buy a QuickJack

So after a lot of calling around I was able to get a shop do change my oil. I left the box and filter in the front seat, wrote on the work order "Customer provided oil/filter" and they still screwed it up. Props to them pouring out perfectly good oil as the foreman had me watch them drain the old oil and add what I brought, but I'm over it. It's just not worth the hassle if I opt to not go to the dealership.

So I ask u guys to make sure I don't remain a cheapo miser and not buy a QuickJack within the next couple of months.

Oh and in case you want to ask or suggest. I have no room to work a floor jack so I can't jsut Jack stands. I also don't like the slant of my driveway for jack stands. Ramps are kinda low and Rhino ramps won't clear the front bumper.

Last edited:
Chock both rear wheels. With the front end facing down the driveway, jack up the front and place on jackstands. The raised front end will offset the driveway angle for a professional lift like drain. No need for a quick jack at $1500+.

Chock both rear wheels. With the front end facing down the driveway, jack up the front and place on jackstands. The raised front end will offset the driveway angle for a professional lift like drain. No need for a quick jack at $1500+.
I can't back into the driveway due to the angle.

I also drive a BMW car. They are lower but not too low for a low-profile floor jack, unless your car is slammed. I have no problem getting my floor jack under the jack points of my car. I have always done all oil changes including transmission fluid changes and transaxle oil.

Find a locally owned independent shop. My father/son shop changes my oil and filter, (that I furnish) greases my front end and drive shaft u joints, rotates my tires, checks my tire pressure, fills my windshield washer tank etc for $25. My total is usually around $55 to $60 and I don’t have to do any crawling. :)I’m typically in and out in 30 minutes or so unless I engage in telling telling lies and war stories with the locals.

Pictures pictures pictures

I cannot compute "no room to work a floor jack". Do you mean to swing the handle or you believe the vehicle doesn't have enough ground clearance?
I also drive a BMW car. They are lower but not too low for a low-profile floor jack, unless your car is slammed. I have no problem getting my floor jack under the jack points of my car. I have always done all oil changes including transmission fluid changes and transaxle oil.
Yes. No room to swing the arm. It's a 1 car garage.

Well wait. I just I might be able to halfway back out of the garage and then use a jack. hmmm....GDammit.

The jack points on a BMW are rear diff, front support and then 4 points (2 along each rail).

So after a lot of calling around I was able to get a shop do change my oil. I left the box and filter in the front seat, wrote on the work order "Customer provided oil/filter" and they still screwed it up. Props to them pouring out perfectly good oil as the foreman had me watch them drain the old oil and add what I brought, but I'm over it. It's just not worth the hassle if I opt to not go to the dealership.
Not sure if I follow - did they not install your oil?

So I ask u guys to make sure I don't remain a cheapo miser and not buy a QuickJack within the next couple of months.

Oh and in case you want to ask or suggest. I have no room to work a floor jack so I can't jsut Jack stands. I also don't like the slant of my driveway for jack stands. Ramps are kinda low and Rhino ramps won't clear the front bumper.
I know @Astro14 is a big fan of the product, but I hated mine and sold it. I don't see how the quickjacks will be easier to store/work versus a normal floor jack, and the Quickjacks still need to be used on level ground.

Yes. No room to swing the arm. It's a 1 car garage.

Well wait. I just I might be able to halfway back out of the garage and then use a jack. hmmm....GDammit.

The jack points on a BMW are rear diff, front support and then 4 points (2 along each rail).
Keep in mind, if the jack doesn't have a two piece handle where you can just use half, you can still cut a one-piece handle shorter, or if you don't want to mutilate the original handle, get a piece of pipe to make a new, shorter handle. Generally this is best done to the jacks that aren't "rapid lift" type that takes fewer strokes of the handle, rather those that take more strokes as it means the leveraged force on each stroke is lower, making it easier to use a shorter handle with more strokes to make up the difference.

Look what happened yesterday:
5A06735B-EA2B-4974-820E-4C71BBB4F8C3.jpeg

I am done with jack stands. Especially having 6yrs and 3yrs old critters running around. Sometimes I leave cars on for a few days, kids running around etc.
Yesterday I was getting ready to install 3 stage intake and DISA valves. Then I figured that since I am taking out manifold, I might change engine mounts proactively. But then, why not gearbox mount? Just for fun.
Well, I was trying to figure out how to do that and not break my back. Went and ordered Quick Jack, mostly bcs. my wife said: oh God, stop complaining, just go and get it. I did not have any other option :)

If it's the only option and you believe you'll get the value out of the investment then you know what's best. I'm thinking of having a 2 post put in my shop once i get good offers on the spare lathes and a second mill I basically never use and just collect dust. I'd much rather install a 2 post for my trucks. This spine is only getting creakier.

If it's the only option and you believe you'll get the value out of the investment then you know what's best. I'm thinking of having a 2 post put in my shop once i get good offers on the spare lathes and a second mill I basically never use and just collect dust. I'd much rather install a 2 post for my trucks. This spine is only getting creakier.
I am getting 2 post, eventually. Not enough space now.

I am getting 2 post, eventually. Not enough space now.
Space is always the issue. I would install my 2 post in the center back but I have a heavy 16 foot tall storage rack that I've filled up with good working yet expensive and useless crap like complete hydraulic power units and a new 3 phase electric motor to name a few that I know I won't really need and would live fine without. But I've spent too much time and money just to rid of them. Besides I have 6 lathes left and that's still too much. I only need 2 and at times the 3rd. The second mill has never been used once just tested. Bought these at auction because they were way too cheap to pass up then shoved them anywhere I could. So I need to stop hoarding machines and sell the rest. But I have a mental problem I think. I can't just leave empty space empty my mind just has to put something there. It drives me nuts, don't know if it's just me.

Back