Re: Motorcraft 15w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a 2002 PSD 7.3 F350 with 26,000 on it. The Ford Dealer changed the oil and filter using MotorCraft 15w40 oil and the Motorcraft Powerstroke Diesel oil filter. Is this a good diesel oil or can I do better?
Thanks

The Motorcraft Superduty 15W-40 is especially formulated to avoid FOAMING of the engine oil. FOAMING will lessen the likelihood that the injector rack operates as designed and performance will suffer.

The injector operation depends on an oil that doesn't FOAM. 4 qts of the engine oil are dedicated to the operation of the injectors.

The Motorcraft oil you are using will be fine for your engine.

The new Powerjoke owners are being cautioned to carry a bottle of antifoam formula in their hip pocket at all times so that they can keep motoring.

The critical factor for the Powerjoke is: change the oil at the severe duty mark and your injectors will never sputter.

I've had 4 such monsters. The Cummins is much more efficient.

Have fun.

Kondor

[ March 25, 2004, 11:45 AM: Message edited by: kondor ]

How about you take your "brand war" somewhere else pal? No engine is perfect and the Dodge has had their own issues with the Cummins, especially with the auto tranny.

All motors oils require anti-foamants, with diesels containing more.

The newer oils are being formulated with acrylated hydrocarbons instead of the silicon-based compounds.

The acrylated hydrocarbons are pretty powerful anti-foamants.

quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:
All motors oils require anti-foamants, with diesels containing more.

Mola, Assuming the viscosity is right for the engine, are there any disadvantages to useing a good 15W-40 HDEO oil in a gas passenger car engine?

Kondor,

The question was on Motorcraft oil. It would be nice if you would stick to the subject without your normal BS about the Ford Power Stroke and the Duramax. I am proud that you are happy with your Cummins, and it is a top engine, but so are the other two. As member QuickLude stated, take your diesel truck brand war to another board, not this one.
spaz.gif

The Powerjokes are especially sensitive to foaming as the injectors are actuated by engine oil at extremely high pressure. The Ford literature indicates that foaming can be a problem, especially for the 7.2 DI. Since the change interval was lengthened somewhat for the 6.0, we assume there is less of a problem, perhaps because the early 6.0s apparently added coolant to the engine oil, which one assumes would really actuate an injector at high pressure.

The Cummins B does not. There is no warning concerning foaming of engine oil that I am aware of. Cummins does suggest that synthetic is a waste of money for that engine as it is almost immpossible to wear it out using dino.

The Isuzu would undoubtedly use rice bran oil, so I wouldn't know if foaming would be a problem there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back