Raw chicken wings warmed up to 50-55 degrees for a few hours, toss?

Foodborne illnesses are overrated. Out of 50 million Americans who get food poising every year, only 3,000 or so die.
Foodborne illnesses are overrated. Out of 50 million Americans who get food poising every year, only 3,000 or so die. Those are pretty good odds.
Agree it’s the Romaine salad you should concern yourself with seriously if they don’t stink or have off odor they are perfectly fine.

General rule of thumb when it comes to all things culinary. Unfrozen, exposed to temps above 40 degrees for over two hours means trash. Don't get sick over $25 worth of wings.

General rule of thumb when it comes to all things culinary. Unfrozen, exposed to temps above 40 degrees for over two hours means trash. Don't get sick over $25 worth of wings.
50f for an hour or 2 is not nearly as bad as 60 or 70.
I'd say in this case I'd cook them soon and no prob.

OP, how many total hours did they spend in the fridge before you noticed this?

A max of 8 but likely 4 since my wife said she got a Diet Coke at 4 when picking up the kids. The garage was probably 50-55 degrees max itself so it’s not like it was a hot day.

Stupid question. Even if they were stored improperly and there was something wrong with them - wouldn't cooking them to 165 degrees eliminate the contaminants - or am I wrong on that?
Doesn't get the toxins.

I'd toss them. But then what do I know? I had a bad case of food poisoning in Portugal in 1990 and became one of the unlucky couple of percent that never recovers. Are you willing to take that chance?

My daughter ate a bad salad in Cuba 20+ years ago. That precipitated Coeliac disease. You don't "recover" from that. She's a Coeliac for life. Can you imagine having to avoid gluten at practically a molecular level for the rest of your life.

Yes she had to be genetically predisposed. But no-one else in the family has it. There is often some precipitating event and her food poisoning bout precipitated hers.

A max of 8 but likely 4 since my wife said she got a Diet Coke at 4 when picking up the kids. The garage was probably 50-55 degrees max itself so it’s not like it was a hot day.
In my opinion you're good to go then. I'm Canadian so deal in Celsius, my fridge is set for 4 degrees. Your beer when tested was 11 degrees. I'll surmise those wings spent most of their time around 7 degrees factoring in their initial temp when placed in the fridge.

Bake'em off at 350 for 45 minutes if your oven isn't convection, then hit them with 425 for 10 to crisp up the skin. Enjoy the game:)

Back