Raw chicken wings warmed up to 50-55 degrees for a few hours, toss?

My wonderful wife picked up $25 worth of sealed wings from Costco and threw them in the garage fridge yesterday. I got home from work and noticed the door wasn’t all the way closed. I checked the temp of a beer with the digital thermometer and it was 52.

She’s thinking they can’t possibly be safely cooked tomorrow and my cheap self thinks they’ll be fine as long as they are cooked to 165+.

Where better to get some input than a motor oil forum? What say you?

The wings will be just fine. Those wings were probably frozen to start with too. Are they the party wings that have about 12 half wings per package? The only reason I would not cook them would be if they had an unpleasant and abnormal smell to them. Grill them with confidence.

Probably fine if they don't smell bad and they're not weirdly slimy or anything. I wouldn't serve them at a party, but if I were making them for myself I wouldn't worry about it.

The wings will be just fine. Those wings were probably frozen to start with too. Are they the party wings that have about 12 half wings per package? The only reason I would not cook them would be if they had an unpleasant and abnormal smell to them. Grill them with confidence.

My thoughts exactly as they usually have some ice crystals when I open them. Yes, they were the 6 packs of party wings with 10-12 per pack or so.

You’re good, No doubt you’ve eaten much worse in your lifetime without knowing it and did not suffer any negative consequences.

My wonderful wife picked up $25 worth of sealed wings from Costco and threw them in the garage fridge yesterday. I got home from work and noticed the door wasn’t all the way closed. I checked the temp of a beer with the digital thermometer and it was 52.

She’s thinking they can’t possibly be safely cooked tomorrow and my cheap self thinks they’ll be fine as long as they are cooked to 165+.

How good is your cheap self's hospitalization insurance? :)

Stupid question. Even if they were stored improperly and there was something wrong with them - wouldn't cooking them to 165 degrees eliminate the contaminants - or am I wrong on that?

Stupid question. Even if they were stored improperly and there was something wrong with them - wouldn't cooking them to 165 degrees eliminate the contaminants - or am I wrong on that?
Not always

...some foodborne bacteria produce poisons or toxins that are not destroyed by high cooking temperatures if the food is left out at room temperature for an extended period of time. An example is the foodborne bacteria Staphylococcus. This bacterium produces a toxin that can develop in cooked foods that sit out at room temperature for more than two hours.

....The best way to avoid food poisoning by Staph is to prevent food from being held at an unsafe temperature (between 40°F and 140°F) for more than 2 hours....

Last edited:

Motor Oil and Food are like well, anyways you are fine. I worked part time at a Golf Course and they would let Chicken Wings sit out for hours, still do not know if they were cooked 1st or not. Maybe just heat them up a little bit longer!

Foodborne illnesses are overrated. Out of 50 million Americans who get food poising every year, only 3,000 or so die. Those are pretty good odds.

Last edited:
Back