Ravenol ECS 0w-20

JXW

Recently acquired 2019 540i and 1st OCI for me is coming this week. B58 engine.

Ordered the Ravenol 0w-20 from Blauparts to install this service. Sitting on some 5w40 VST, which I ran in the N20 prior to this car seemingly perfect.

Not sure what current fill is as prior to my ownership was svc via dealer.

Ravenol is premium price, hoping that its value it duly noted with improved MPG, cold weather start, etc.

Blau is the ONLY "distributor" in the US for Ravenol. ...A "distributor" that does not offer "dealer" pricing for retail or repair shops. So pretty much they want to be the only place in the US to sell Ravenol. Not happening in my book. You can find PLENTY of other oils that will be equal, maybe even better.

Blauparts' elevated prices and their 'monopoly' in the US are a shame.
However Ravenol produce a range of very fine PAO/Ester/AN PCMOs
along with reputable approvals simutaneously. Some of them come
with Vanderbilt's Vanlube W-324 (Tungsten, Organotungstate), which
certainly isn't cheap (Ravenol REP, RUP, RCS etc.).
That said Ravenol ECS seems to be one of the most advanced 0W-20
currently available (just like Ravenol VSE and M1 ESP X2 0W-20).

Any oil that is approved to the latest BMW specs (like LL 17FE+) is going to be a very high quality oil, in the same way as any oil that is approved to VW 508/509 is going to be high quality.

Though BMW dealers, and BMW Assist, use BMW branded 0w30.

Mistake: I purchased EFS 0w20 not ECS.

EFS has 17fe approval via BMW. ECS does not. ECS cost is $10 more per gallon.

Installing the oil today with new filter.

I looked at Ravenol before. They look very good and are certified oils. I don't know much about them though. If you're set on them as a brand go for it. But I think the best oils are actually made here in the US you could obtain at a lower cost. Have a UOA done then decide.

Mistake: I purchased EFS 0w20 not ECS.

EFS has 17fe approval via BMW. ECS does not. ECS cost is $10 more per gallon.

Installing the oil today with new filter.
So you have chosen to use a 0w20 that doesn’t meet BMW specs to save $10 ??

Is it just me that sees that as false economy in an engine that would likely cost over $10000 to replace?

If you leave the oil in the engine for 5000 miles you are saving $0.002 per mile.

My .02 here...Ravenol is engineering and producing high quality products that cost above the avg. Consumer price in the USA. Yes, PP, PU, M1, all have very good oils in top tier.

Is the cost higher because the constituents are better (cost more) at Ravenol? Better base, advanced additives? Most likely.

Was in Wyoming, -28F in my 328i several years ago. Prior to the trip, my Shop installed Service Pro 5w40, "euro spec". Car would not start without struggling to pump that stuff. Sounded horrible...

That bothered me enough to call the president of service pro and ask questions. Yes, he said his oils were great BUT a better base oil would have performed in that temp range as advertised. Service Pro makes oils that are budget friendly for the use of shops that need profit margins on oil changes to Stay solvent.

Note, shop charged $11 per quart for that GRPIII oil. Not inexpensive!

Always appreciate the diversity on BITOG. Happy Sunday to all!

Back