Rattly/loose suspension + brakes

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, first off I know this is going to be hard to describe correctly, but I will try my best. I suspect this is going to sound worse than it is...

Car is a 2001 Buick Regal LS, 35,000 miles on it.

About 6 months ago I had the front brake pads + rotors replaced (the pads were worn out). At the same time I replaced the brake fluid. About a month ago I hit a very large pothole (gotta love Chicago) and since then I have noticed some shuddering on braking. For some reason it seems to be intermittent, but that may be based on how hard I brake. I've noticed it on both the highway and around town.

I've also noticed some oddities: this morning, when turning out of my driveway, I ran over a chunk of asphalt while turning. I heard a repetitive clunking noise and it sort of felt like the right wheel (which hit the rock) was "skipping". I have also noticed that occasionally the inside wheel feels like it's losing traction on dry pavement when turning and accelerating at the same time (especially accelerating from low speeds). Finally, I've also noticed a clunking or rattling when driving over a series of bumps. This sometimes results in a "floating" sensation that requires a steering correction.

My tires are about a year old, Kumho KR21s. I have checked my ball joints and CV joints, and both appear to be fine to the naked eye. I also have checked the wheel that hit the pothole, and it doesn't appear to be bent (my tires are pretty high profile, 215/75-15). What else should I be looking for here?

The car will be going back to the mechanic that did the brakes to address the shuddering. But I have a feeling I have something else going on too, and I want to have some idea of what I'm looking at before giving the mechanic a "blank check", so to speak.

I have an 02' Century which is basically the same car with a 3.1 inplace of your 3.8. At 80K I replaced the 4 struts, balljoints and both tie-rods on the passenger side because of tire-cupping. I do a lot of driving in NYC which has to be as bad as Chicago. After about 2 months the car started making a strange suspension sound which turned out to be the strut bearings (which I had neglected to replace originally). After replacing these 'bearings' the car ran and sounded like new.
If your tires are wearing fine I would start with new front struts and bearings. At 35K your rears are probably still good.

Great, thanks guys!

For the struts, is there a way to tell if they are bad? Way back when I remember using the bounce test (bounce the car, if it bounces up and down something's bad) but I don't know if that applies to struts.

Labman: what would I be looking for on the spring? A crack or something like that?

pbm: Thanks! I will make sure to do the bearings also (I'm looking on rockauto.com, and they are sold separately). Also, I've seen it recommended to replace the lower control arm completely because there is a bushing in there that goes bad... that also includes a new ball joint. I may do that.

Last edited:
Yeah, I was thinking it could be a tire also. Unfortunately the cement roads that I drive on most of the time make it nearly impossible to hear if a belt is thumping or anything like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back