Range Rover hatch destroyed in car wash.

Range Rover hatch destroyed in car wash

Only thing I can think is this Range Rover has a kick to open feature and it was somehow activated by the car wash although the brushes don't seem to be anywhere near where you would kick under the bumper to activate.

I can tell you my ID.4 has kick to open and it absolutely terrifies me something like this would happen if I forget to deactivate it before a wash. I haven't tried to see if the kick to open works if the key is up in the front cabin but hoping the feature only works if the key is in proximity of the back hatch.

Button around the dash/console to open it and somehow was depressed at the wrong moment? Nothing was back in the area of kick to open when it began opening.

Probably driver error. I am supposed to turn of my collision avoidance system on my F150 before I go through a car wash. I never do. If something happens it's on me.

Wondering, wouldn't it be disengaged when in Park? My 15 F150 does not have it but my 17 OB Subaru does and car wash in P is a ok. Thanks.

Wondering, wouldn't it be disengaged when in Park? My 15 F150 does not have it but my 17 OB Subaru does and car wash in P is a ok. Thanks.
You go through car washes in neutral. I'm talking about the ones you sit in your car and you are pulled/pushed through. That's basically all they have in Utah. Those are the posted/verbal instructions.

You go through car washes in neutral. I'm talking about the ones you sit in your car and you are pulled/pushed through. That's basically all they have in Utah. Those are the posted/verbal instructions.

Understood. For a few decades, the ones by me have been the park vehicle and the chasis with the magic moves around the vehicle. I do know an old school one in Westchester and one i Bronx that are the pull ya through.

One of the new carwashes I've been to doesn't have a guard rail and roller for the wheel to stop in, just a giant conveyor belt the car rides on. You're supposed to keep it in neutral though, which I presume would keep the tailgate from opening when the fabric flappers swing under the bumper.

yeah no, bristles on car paint? No thanks.
You have a choice. Paint correction over a period of time or rust that can't be corrected easily or in a inexpensive way. And they are not "bristles" but a spongey/felt type material.

Every car wash I've ever seen you go through in neutral and every power tailgate I've ever seen will only operate in park. My guess is this is a case of an idiot behind the wheel.

Watching the video again it does appear to be a car wash where the system moves around the vehicle while its stationary so it may have been in park. I have yet to see a conveyor belt type car wash as they are so rare stateside, wonder if you leave your car in park on those too.

I might need to look back but I'm pretty certain my ID.4 owners manual cautions to deactivate the "easy access" kick to open hatch. Honestly I rarely use the feature and wish it wasn't there, power hatch yes but the kick to open not so much.

No thanks on the bristled car wash. It looks like the rear hatch was partially open which is really odd. I have a 1997 Car and Driver where a handful of sports cars/ exotic cars were tested. The rear hoop wing on a Mark IV was torn off by one of the same type of car wash drums.

It's a roll-over car wash. You drive in, put it in park and the machine rolls over several times.
Each pass is a different cycle. Why the hatch opened.....who knows.
I've witnessed an older guy go through a rollover with his windows down.
He was panicked and sat in the car with windows down.
He rode it out and was soaped, brushed, and dried... windows down.

Funny… Bob users brag about driving beaters paid for in cash for a million miles yet worried about some marring at an automatic car wash.

I could see if you had a garage queen super nice car but a daily driver it’s just a means to make money (go to work) and haul your family around. Would rather have a clean shiny car with some marring than waste hours washing the car weekly

Back