Range Rover 5.0 oil & BG MOA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by FloridaTime
Former Land Rover technician here with 14yrs of experience on Land Rover. I do not have an opinion on the MOA products, we used them but purely for additional profit.

You are playing with fire not using the factory pour Castrol. Your 5.0L is extremely prone to timing chain tensioner failure. Most of the failures were caused by prolonged service intervals and people using sub-par oil. Your doing the right thing changing your oil at shorter intervals than the 15k recommend by Land Rover. In the 5.0L I highly recommend using Castrol Edge oil and just play it safe skipping any additives.

the chains and tensioners have already been replaced. From UOA's Amsoil 5w20 is far superior over the Castrol.

Originally Posted by cronk
Amsoil SS used at that 5k interval will definitely keep that engine clean. Amsoil has a very stout additive package! Definitely no need to add MOA.

agreed! Amsoil has been amazing in this engine

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Doublehaul
5k? I'd use the cheapest dexos 1 oil I could get my hands and and know that even that was overkill

haha, no way would I use a cheap oil in such a nice engine
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Cheapest Dexos are not the best cleaners. Read the major brand oil jug labels for best product descriptions and results. Cheap house brands offer little-or-none cleaning verbage. A clear indicator of subpar results, if such wording is missing.

If you or I owned any of these house-brand oils and our product cleaned the engine sufficiently, we would gladly mention it on the jug label, to boost profitability. Buy oils that exceed cleaning specs. Not those that only meet the specs. Reduction is what most of us seek. Of the mid-priced, Mobil-1, Castrol and Pennzoil exceed.

All Oils labeled SN Plus and Dexos 1 Gen 2 are NOT all the same in performance, protection and cleaning ability.

well said! and I agree. For me Amsoil is peace of mind KNOWING that it works well from pervious rovers OUA results.

I worked at a franchised dealership in high school and college. We had several of the techs say that BG MOA was a "wallet flush." Motor oil, at least brand names, have all the detergents and additives needed. Save your money!

Originally Posted by LTZ10
I worked at a franchised dealership in high school and college. We had several of the techs say that BG MOA was a "wallet flush." Motor oil, at least brand names, have all the detergents and additives needed. Save your money!

yup, I am. Straight up Amsoil SS 5w20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back